What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Everyone should use this before talking about capspace: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

Renouncing all possible players gets the Jazz to $31,279,329 assuming the cap is a flat $108 million. That number is not going to be solid until the NBA officially announces what the cap is, but I've seen $109 million floated most of the time, which would put that number at >$32.7 million, which is what the max offer would have to meet. It's damn close.

If you stretch Exum, that gets you another close-to $5 million. If you stretch Korver that gets you another $5.5 million (there's an $888k roster caphold that kicks in).

So the fantasy question for the psycho capologists: if you were to get Tobias and stretch Exum, could you trade Korver for Dinwiddie? You'd be able to absorb $5 million of Dinwiddie's deal outright, correct? In that scenario, does the salary matching number for Dinwiddie effectively then start at approximately $5.5 million ($5 million subtracted from his 2019 salary)? What salary would you have to match to bring in Dinwiddie in that scenario (consider that Korver's number would count for $3.75 million)? Maybe you could just stretch Korver AND Exum to open up enough, or at least close enough to trade a petty contract to make it work (Bradley, Niang)?
Why would the Nets trade Dimwiddle for Korver lol, even if it's for cap dump purposes there will be plenty of other teams willing to offer more for Dimwiddie than a guy on the verge of retirement. Orlando instantly comes to mind along with Detroit and Phoenix.

Supposedly Kawhi bought a home in Toronto... this would be fantastic news... stay in the east please and thank you.
Good for competition sake but bad because Kemba staying and Kawhi staying means two max guys staying at capped out teams. Means guys like Tobias, Kyrie, Russell, Brogdon, Randle, etc become more in demand.

If Kawhi had gone to the Clippers, Kemba to NY, more cap space would have gone away. So Kawhi staying is good for West strength but makes our chances of adding a top free agent even more difficult.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Why would the Nets trade Dimwiddle for Korver lol, even if it's for cap dump purposes there will be plenty of other teams willing to offer more for Dimwiddie than a guy on the verge of retirement. Orlando instantly comes to mind along with Detroit and Phoenix.
1. Because the Jazz would include a pick
2. Because Korver has one year left on his deal and only partially guaranteed. So his full guarantee salary matches with Dinwiddie then they can waive and stretch at 3 million (1 million per year for the next 3).

Maybe there's a better contract out there they can match on with Dinwiddies salary, but IDK. Every dollar counts if they are trying for 2 max slots.

1. Because the Jazz would include a pick
2. Because Korver has one year left on his deal and only partially guaranteed. So his full guarantee salary matches with Dinwiddie then they can waive and stretch at 3 million (1 million per year for the next 3).

Maybe there's a better contract out there they can match on with Dinwiddies salary, but IDK. Every dollar counts if they are trying for 2 max slots.

The salary doesn’t match... Korver only counts as 3.4M unless the remaining amount is guaranteed.

Good for competition sake but bad because Kemba staying and Kawhi staying means two max guys staying at capped out teams. Means guys like Tobias, Kyrie, Russell, Brogdon, Randle, etc become more in demand.

If Kawhi had gone to the Clippers, Kemba to NY, more cap space would have gone away. So Kawhi staying is good for West strength but makes our chances of adding a top free agent even more difficult.

Tobias ain’t going back to LA... and they didn’t want to pay him the max. Clips and Knicks won’t go for second tier max free agents... they will roll the space forward. Clips can build a super team... we don’t want that.

Crowder for Dinwiddie is close enough I believe... Spencer May have that weird base year issue though... so prolly can’t get moved until after July 1.
Korver and a 1st for Dinwiddie still makes sense once the new year begins. NJ would only dump Dinwiddie to open up as much cap space as possible. Korver let's them save $8ish. Crowder only $3ish.

Could we do that AND sign Harris? No, but a Dinwiddie deal still makes a ton of sense for us and them if they are trying to afford Kyrie and near max Russell.

Add Dinwiddie and sign Julius Randle. Now that is a bright present and future.

I'm super confused why we are operating like Nets are just desperate to dump Dinwiddie for nothing. He has plenty of real value.

I'm super confused why we are operating like Nets are just desperate to dump Dinwiddie for nothing. He has plenty of real value.
He definitely does. Brooklyn would only dump him for savings and there aren't that many teams who can absorb him.

But you're right, it's very unlikely.

Korver and a 1st for Dinwiddie still makes sense once the new year begins. NJ would only dump Dinwiddie to open up as much cap space as possible. Korver let's them save $8ish. Crowder only $3ish.

Could we do that AND sign Harris? No, but a Dinwiddie deal still makes a ton of sense for us and them if they are trying to afford Kyrie and near max Russell.

Add Dinwiddie and sign Julius Randle. Now that is a bright present and future.

Why trade him for any returning salary in that scenario if they are opening as much cap as possible I would think they'd want to ya know... open as much cap as possible.

I think they would waive Russell's caphold before they'd dump Dinwiddie on the cheap. To get to two max spots they'd need to clear him anyway. I'm not sure why they need to open two max slots... I doubt they have two max guys headed that way.

Why trade him for any returning salary in that scenario if they are opening as much cap as possible I would think they'd want to ya know... open as much cap as possible.
We could do that too. 2020 1st for Dinwiddie. I'm just trying to dump Korver's worthless $3.44 if we can.

I actually keep Korver if he doesn't retire. I'd rather pay him $7.5 to play and be a mentor than pay him $3.44 to go away. Of course it all comes down to how much we need that extra $4 million.

I think they would waive Russell's caphold before they'd dump Dinwiddie on the cheap. To get to two max spots they'd need to clear him anyway. I'm not sure why they need to open two max slots... I doubt they have two max guys headed that way.
That's why Korver for Crabbe and Dinwiddie is more realistic. Brooklyn gets to keep Russell, add a max guy and probably add another nice piece like Randle.

If we strike out in free agency, I'm happy with this. Dinwiddie is good and cheap. We keep our picks. Crabbe is a massive expiring we can use at the deadline. It's not sexy, but it's not terrible.