What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Kemba has been underpaid his whole career. If he values money above all and him and Hornets like each other than I see it as very plausible. And losing a guy like Lamb due to tax isn't that big in grand view of things. They are treadmill with Lamb or without him. If they have Kemba long term plus young guys like Miles, Monk plus a draft pick they can wait out the bad contracts providing Kemba does't whine after getting his payday.

In general, I agree with you. But Monk blows.

Kemba has been underpaid his whole career. If he values money above all and him and Hornets like each other than I see it as very plausible. And losing a guy like Lamb due to tax isn't that big in grand view of things. They are treadmill with Lamb or without him. If they have Kemba long term plus young guys like Miles, Monk plus a draft pick they can wait out the bad contracts providing Kemba does't whine after getting his payday.

Kemba is no spring chicken... waiting may not be appealing.

You are right if he values money above all he stays... but it may not be as it seems if he went to a mega market and helped turn around the Knicks or something. Could pull in some serious endorsement deals.

I’d say there is a better than 50% chance he bolts.

Kemba is no spring chicken... waiting may not be appealing.

You are right if he values money above all he stays... but it may not be as it seems if he went to a mega market and helped turn around the Knicks or something. Could pull in some serious endorsement deals.

I’d say there is a better than 50% chance he bolts.

Sure he can make bank in NYC. Bottom line Jazz don't stand a chance with him.

I mean the plan has been to use cap space that’s what I’d do... but what you get for that space is not up to you.

I might try and move Crowder for additional draft assets and space. I’d try and maneuver to a spot where I could have max space and keep Favs... or if he’s willing to take a deal less than his scheduled option I’d try to get him on a long term deal.

It’s tricky we have to land a free agent and hit on a pick or have a young guy develop to become a contender imo.

Sure he can make bank in NYC. Bottom line Jazz don't stand a chance with him.

I agree. I think Harris is the most likely guy we could land. Philly has to suck and he has to be marginalized... had a good game tonight. He’d also have to get only the four year max offer from them... they put five years out there it’s over.

Really sucks seeing Derrick white blossom into the guy we needed and we had an opportunity to get him and went with a low upside puzzling pick.

I'd love Bog from the Pacers but I see no way they don't reup him. With that in mind, the two guys I target at midnight are:

1. Terrence Ross. Orlando will likely max Vucevic imo and knowing that, I'm not sure how high they'd be willing to go on Ross. For me, he might be the perfect age/ability/value type of guy we need (a natural slasher/scorer/shooter) who should be fine with coming off the bench for now yet be starter material should we need him to be. And like I said, at a good value. I make him a 4/62M offer right away.
2. Patrick Beverley. We need to get tougher and we need better leadership. And shooting. He brings that. Turning 31 this summer, I make him an offer of 3/40.

The problem is, I'm not sure if we can afford both of those deals.

I agree. I think Harris is the most likely guy we could land. Philly has to suck and he has to be marginalized... had a good game tonight. He’d also have to get only the four year max offer from them... they put five years out there it’s over.

Really sucks seeing Derrick white blossom into the guy we needed and we had an opportunity to get him and went with a low upside puzzling pick.

Murray should be back next year for the Spurs. Maybe we could get one or the other?

I'd love Bog from the Pacers but I see no way they don't reup him. With that in mind, the two guys I target at midnight are:

1. Terrence Ross. Orlando will likely max Vucevic imo and knowing that, I'm not sure how high they'd be willing to go on Ross. For me, he might be the perfect age/ability/value type of guy we need (a natural slasher/scorer/shooter) who should be fine with coming off the bench for now yet be starter material should we need him to be. And like I said, at a good value. I make him a 4/62M offer right away.
2. Patrick Beverley. We need to get tougher and we need better leadership. And shooting. He brings that. Turning 31 this summer, I make him an offer of 3/40.

Sup Wes. How ya been? How’s the backyard, wife, lil girl, and vacations?

But how do Ross and Beverly fill the scoring void on this team? The team flat out got no scorers outside of Mitchell. Why double down on role players ?

Murray should be back next year for the Spurs. Maybe we could get one or the other?

That’s not how it works... it’s the reason I would have very much preferred to draft a wing our guard... they can just play them both... I’d prefer white and I’m guessing he’d be the one they’d want to keep. Murray is good but the offensive limitations are not a good fit for us.

I was originally going to say that Derrick White was drafted in 2017 and not someone we could have drafted last year, but then after a minute realized you were referring to Bradley, which I suppose speaks to your point.

The team just had 50 win season, but lacks legit scorers. I'd keep the team in tact but try to add a 20 ppg scorer for scrubs,

For instance: Exum, Allen , Bradley, this years draft pick plus Korver to a 3rd team for Kevin Love.

Rubio/Mitchell/Neto
Mitchell/O'Neale
Ingles/Crowder
Love/Crowder/Niang
Gobert/Favors

Trying to demolish a 50 win team that's not old and injured is dumb overreaction.
Expecting to add grade A max FA is a delusion
Playing 30+ mil to players like Middleton, Harris or Russell is too risky and they are not proven enough.

This!!

But how do Ross and Beverly fill the scoring void on this team? The team flat out got no scorers outside of Mitchell. Why double down on role players ?

Ross scored 15.1 points per game this year in under 27 minutes. That's 20.5 per 36 this season. He's a legit scorer/weapon and is approaching his peak years.

Beverley isn't a pure scorer but he's a legit shooter, something that we sorely need as Rubio's been killing us. And he's a better leader and defender than Rubio imo.

We have 2 games left in the season and (in my opinion) we need a big blow up. Rudy will be 27 next season and we really need to maximize him before he 'may' want to leave.

So, what do you do?

Claim "our chemistry is really solid and we need another year to get healthy." Sign a 35+ year old vet, a g-leaguer, and a draft pick to call it a season?

Do you shoot for the stars and throw contracts out there for Kemba, Tobias, etc and hopefully land one?

Let's hear it.

I'd go for Kemba and open up the market to literally everyone on our team signed the following season not named donovan or rudy.
I'd call the pistons and offer favors, jae or ingles, exum, Allen, and this years pick and next years pick for Blake (should get it done). Probably sign neto again, get another backup on the cheap and fill in the rest with some shooters.

Kemba
Donovan
Ingles/jae
Blake
Rudy

That's a great starting lineup with still royce, neto, korver coming off the bench. We can create, Blake Kemba can score, gives us great spacing

You really think Jae, Favors and Exum with some picks gets us Blake?? What GM told you this?

Ross scored 15.1 points per game this year in under 27 minutes. That's 20.5 per 36 this season. He's a legit scorer/weapon and is approaching his peak years.

Beverley isn't a pure scorer but he's a legit shooter, something that we sorely need as Rubio's been killing us. And he's a better leader and defender than Rubio imo.

if Ross is our second scoring option, please kill me. Jazz should aim higher and I'm not even talking Kemba or Holiday here.

No big FA is going to sign with Utah. So forget that fantasy. Utah is seen as a racist state and the playoff series against Houston shows everyone the Jazz are more than just a player away. I still maintain the best way for Utah to get talent is via trades. And that means that unfortunately, Dennis' only option may be to play it back after losing out on top tier FA's. He has until July 6th, IINM, to pick up the team option on Favors.

Of course, he goes after every FA he can: Kemba, Brogdon, Harris, etc. Once he misses out, there's no reward for getting under the cap. On the contrary, it hurts the team because you then lose the MLE and only have the room exception. So you pick up the option on Favors and try to get Ricky to agree to a 1+1 deal. And see what other FA you may want to sign with all or part of the MLE. I also look to trade the draft pick for a first rounder in 2020 with minimal protection (top 4 for example).

Why do I do all this? Not so I'm bringing back the same team and thinking it will result in a better finish. I do it to maintain trade assets for deadline deals. Now you again have the expirings of Derrick and Ricky. You have a solid vet you signed with the MLE. You have two first round picks in 2020. Crowder probably has some value. And if you strike out at the deadline, you can again clear the same amount of cap space in the summer of 2020.

Out: Thabo and Udoh
In: FA and either draft pick or backup center

Deadline deals: trade some combination of Favors, Rubio, Korver, Exum's corpse, and 2020 draft pick.

Last edited:
No big FA is going to sign with Utah. So forget that fantasy. Utah is a racist state and the playoff series against Houston shows everyone the Jazz are more than just a player away. Unfortunately, Dennis' only option may be to play it back after losing out on top tier FA's. He has until July 6th, IINM, to pick up the team option on Favors.

Of course, he goes after every FA he can: Kemba, Brogdon, Harris, etc. Once he misses out, there's no reward for getting under the cap. On the contrary, it hurts the team because you then lose the MLE and only have the room exception. So you pick up the option on Favors and try to get Ricky to agree to a 1+1 deal. And see what other FA you may want to sign with all or part of the MLE. I also look to trade the draft pick for a first rounder in 2020 with minimal protection (top 4 for example).

Why do I do all this? Not so I'm bringing back the same team and thinking it will result in a better finish. I do it to maintain trade assets for deadline deals. Now you again have the expirings of Derrick and Ricky. You have a solid vet you signed with the MLE. You have two first round picks in 2020. Crowder probably has some value. And if you strike out at the deadline, you can again clear the same amount of cap space in the summer of 2020.

I can get behind that plan. I lean toward overpaying for that MLE FA too on a 1-2 year deal for no other reason that it makes trading for a better player, ala Conley, easier with a better ability to keep our core together. I even try to sign two guys on 1-2 year deals if that's possible. The more options we have in trades, the better.