What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

No big FA is going to sign with Utah. So forget that fantasy. Utah is seen as a racist state and the playoff series against Houston shows everyone the Jazz are more than just a player away. I still maintain the best way for Utah to get talent is via trades. And that means that unfortunately, Dennis' only option may be to play it back after losing out on top tier FA's. He has until July 6th, IINM, to pick up the team option on Favors.

Of course, he goes after every FA he can: Kemba, Brogdon, Harris, etc. Once he misses out, there's no reward for getting under the cap. On the contrary, it hurts the team because you then lose the MLE and only have the room exception. So you pick up the option on Favors and try to get Ricky to agree to a 1+1 deal. And see what other FA you may want to sign with all or part of the MLE. I also look to trade the draft pick for a first rounder in 2020 with minimal protection (top 4 for example).

Why do I do all this? Not so I'm bringing back the same team and thinking it will result in a better finish. I do it to maintain trade assets for deadline deals. Now you again have the expirings of Derrick and Ricky. You have a solid vet you signed with the MLE. You have two first round picks in 2020. Crowder probably has some value. And if you strike out at the deadline, you can again clear the same amount of cap space in the summer of 2020.

Out: Thabo and Udoh
In: FA and either draft pick or backup center

Deadline deals: trade some combination of Favors, Rubio, Korver, Exum's corpse, and 2020 draft pick.

If Udoh and Thabo are out, how much cap room do we have?

If we also then re-sign Rubio on a 1+1 at 13M per, how much cap room would we have?

Love has about 4/120 left on his deal and has missed 105 games the last three seasons. Given he's on the other side of 30, that's not a prudent move imo.

yeah, but that's less than you'd have to offer Harris who won't even come here as they have verbal agreement in Philly already.
Also Love is purely a skill player who's unlikely to fall off the cliff with age. I'd take him over Griffin who's even more injury prone.

yeah, but that's less than you'd have to offer Harris who won't even come here as they have verbal agreement in Philly already.
Also Love is purely a skill player who's unlikely to fall off the cliff with age. I'd take him over Griffin who's even more injury prone.

LMFAO. Harris has nothing to do with this. He won't come here so what? Then we must get Love? And he's unlikely to fall off a cliff? Did you miss the part where I mentioned how he's missed nearly half of his games over the last three seasons?

Thanks, Wes. I'm trying to be as realistic as I can. Sure I'd love to see Utah get Tobias, pick up Favors' option and trade him and Exum for a great PG. But I just don't see that happening. I've really soured on Conley. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I think he probably did say he preferred not to be traded to Utah. Don't really want to see Ricky back, but I fear he's going to have to be a placeholder until a good trade appears. And I doubt he sees much interest as a FA. Would he get anything above the MLE? Jazz can pay him nearly twice that to sign a 1+1.

I also think Millsap is a real possibility. But to get him, Jazz would need to get under the cap. Would Utah be willing to renounce Favors and Ricky, sign Millsap for $20M and go get a PG for the remainder of the cap? The room exception could then be used to bring back Udoh or get someone else as the backup 5.

LMFAO. Harris has nothing to do with this. He won't come here so what? Then we must get Love. And he's unlikely to fall off a cliff? Did you miss the part where I mentioned how he's missed nearly half of his games over the last three seasons?

Harris is being a stretch PF scorer has everything to do with it. Also while Love missed games he's still capable of being 20/10 big man. How's that falling off the cliff?

If Udoh and Thabo are out, how much cap room do we have?

If we also then re-sign Rubio on a 1+1 at 13M per, how much cap room would we have?
We won't have cap space. But we don't need cap space to re-sign Ricky. He already counts against us as a cap hold. And since we're over the cap, we have the full MLE. To me, that's a better scenario than trying to clear cap space. Because once we've renounced players to get under, we're handcuffed. We lose the MLE and have to fill the remainder of the roster with the room exception, vet minimum and rookie deals.

Thanks, NJO. I had been using HoopsHype but shamsports seems to be much better. Jazz can get to $19M by also getting rid of Korver, Niang and Neto (and still keep Favors). But they also lose the MLE. They'd clear another $1M by trading their draft pick.

Last edited:
We won't have cap space. But we don't need cap space to re-sign Ricky. He already counts against us as a cap hold. And since we're over the cap, we have the full MLE. To me, that's a better scenario than trying to clear cap space. Because once we've renounced players to get under, we're handcuffed. We lose the MLE and have to fill the remainder of the roster with the room exception, vet minimum and rookie deals.

The full MLE is 9.25M next year?

My question about Ricky was more, if we re-sign him on day one of FA at 12M per on a 1+1, doesn't that cap hold go away? And if so, would we have any cap space?

Sup Wes. How ya been? How’s the backyard, wife, lil girl, and vacations?

Good. Backyard needs new trees next spring but the yard looks good. The wife is good. The kids (3 of them dummy) are good. Real vacations are nonexistent this summer but we'll probably do one or two 2-4 day trips.

You? Still being a little bitch and not drinking?

Sad realization. Lindsey's best free agent signing of all time. 35 year old Joe Johnson. I think he might have to find a diamond in the rough, top level talent players don't sign with him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last season at the trade deadline we had Favors, Jerebko, Udoh and Sefelosha all on expiring contracts, this season we had Favors, Rubio, Sefelosha and Udoh and we failed to get anything done both times. I'm not at all optimistic about re-signing Rubio to a 1+1 and trading him and Favors at next years deadline. DL just doesn't seem to be able to get a big deal done using expiring contracts.

Last season at the trade deadline we had Favors, Jerebko, Udoh and Sefelosha all on expiring contracts, this season we had Favors, Rubio, Sefelosha and Udoh and we failed to get anything done both times. I'm not at all optimistic about re-signing Rubio to a 1+1 and trading him and Favors at next years deadline. DL just doesn't seem to be able to get a big deal done using expiring contracts.

I bet Rubio gives DL middle finger at 1+1 contract offer. Doubt he's dying to be in trade rumors again next season.

On the Kemba thing, I forget where I read/heard this but apparently Kemba was pretty keen on re-signing up until the trade deadline when the Hornets failed to pull in Marc Gasol and Kemba looked at how teams like Philly/Toronto/Milwaukee all added pieces to get better while Charlotte did nothing and he got disillusioned by the direction of the Charlotte FO which makes me think he leaves in the offseason.

On the Kemba thing, I forget where I read/heard this but apparently Kemba was pretty keen on re-signing up until the trade deadline when the Hornets failed to pull in Marc Gasol and Kemba looked at how teams like Philly/Toronto/Milwaukee all added pieces to get better while Charlotte did nothing and he got disillusioned by the direction of the Charlotte FO which makes me think he leaves in the offseason.
Doesn't that sound familiar with a team on the west?