What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Well... okay... He hasn't been good when he is healthy. He's had some good 5-10 game stints but still nothing to get super excited about. They may not be looking to trade him but they sure as hell better not hesitate to move him if a deal comes along.
Unfortunately, I’m getting the impression that they view this a lot like downloading an MP3 on 56k.... you’ve spent three hours and you’re at 92%. If you interrupt the download now, you’ve lost all the progress on the 92%. They at least want to wait for the other 8% to find out they don’t even like the song.

It does sound from TJ like we are going to have a legit shot at Tobias... If my DL calculus is on point we will have a really narrow focus and go only after him... and if we fail we get some short term flexibility 1+1 type stuff and the return of Favors.

It does sound from TJ like we are going to have a legit shot at Tobias... If my DL calculus is on point we will have a really narrow focus and go only after him... and if we fail we get some short term flexibility 1+1 type stuff and the return of Favors.
... I hate this narrow focus garbage. See Conley and this deadline.

Unfortunately, I’m getting the impression that they view this a lot like downloading an MP3 on 56k.... you’ve spent three hours and you’re at 92%. If you interrupt the download now, you’ve lost all the progress on the 92%. They at least want to wait for the other 8% to find out they don’t even like the song.

To me it is a bad but intriguing real estate deal... it starts to look like it is going somewhere and you may even get a couple solid offers to be done with it, but you can't cut ties because of upside... so you keep feeding it for the big pay day... hopefully we don't end up in bankruptcy.

This worked well two summers ago. Hayward? Nope. Porter Jr.? Nope. One or two others I’m forgetting. Plan A to B to C...

... I hate this narrow focus garbage. See Conley and this deadline.

See many of our drafts... "we have a few guys we like and they were gone so we sold our seconds"

DL also locks in on guys a little early... its great to have targets... but as guys slide down the draft board its okay to deviate. Moving up to get Bradley may be the weirdest move of his tenure... it made no sense at the time and I said as much... it makes less sense now. Andy Larsens had some not very encouraging things to say about Bradley... sounds like he isn't good and may not be the most self aware kid. In 4-5 years we might have a good backup center there.

This worked well two summers ago. Hayward? Nope. Porter Jr.? Nope. One or two others I’m forgetting. Plan A to B to C...

that was okay because there was one domino we had to wait on and scrambling for decent pieces at that point was acceptable. The bar was also lower then... but here is the deal... we got 2 years of Thabo and Udoh, one year of Jonas, we had 12-13M in space... maybe we could have done better and got long term pieces... so I wouldn't call it a home run.

See many of our drafts... "we have a few guys we like and they were gone so we sold our seconds"
You’re opening wounds. I almost forgot about these, but it’s been consistent. May be a bit too rigid.

You’re opening wounds. I almost forgot about these, but it’s been consistent. May be a bit too rigid.

There is a clear pattern... I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm worried we put our eggs in one basket then when that doesn't happen we just don't like the other stuff out there and punt.

You have to churn a little and take a few chances to find the diamonds.

Exum will be solid for our team if he can stay healthy. There are reasons to doubt he will be healthy though.

But he isnt worth much in a trade. He could get healthy and be good for us and worth a lot in a trade. There is no reason to dump him or trade him right now. Unless it nets us a good player.

I have never seen something like Lindsey's feverish obsession with making anything out of Dante Exum. It puts into perspective what a massive waste of time all of our discussion is.

One day I will be liberated from the hell of fandom and Lindsey is doing his best right now.

What the **** is this garbage and where can I get the drugs he's on?

Dante Exum ****ing sucks. Straight up.

He will end up being our biggest draft bust ever... not just because of where he was drafted, but because we refused to move on and continued to buy back in over and over again.

If someone said Elfrid Payton is the answer at PG and is worth $10M a year everyone would laugh... yet he has shown more in his 5 years. The biggest argument for Dante continues to be that we don't know what he is... like he gets some intriguing bonus for not being able to stay healthy.

I hope he is successful but I won't get sucked back in to believing he will be anything.

He will end up being our biggest draft bust ever... not just because of where he was drafted, but because we refused to move on and continued to buy back in over and over again.

If someone said Elfrid Payton is the answer at PG and is worth $10M a year everyone would laugh... yet he has shown more in his 5 years. The biggest argument for Dante continues to be that we don't know what he is... like he gets some intriguing bonus for not being able to stay healthy.

I hope he is successful but I won't get sucked back in to believing he will be anything.
It's like when George Costanza was spotting squirrels when he was squinting without glasses, but they were really mailboxes but Jerry didn't have the heart to tell him.

I'd rather have Payton. Elfrid or otherwise. Gary Sr. would also be more healthy.

This one bothers me. "Not winning, but much closer"... if that is the goal of management, to just be "much closer" than winning. Then what are we fans being so passionate about? If the management doesn't want to put together a winner, but just a good team. Then I won't lose sleep or care so much about this team.

Exum gonna be like 30 years old still on IR and the Jazz saying just wait. Be patient.

And he’s gonna have two good games in a row and every Dante Stan will come out with the I told you so’s.

Tony Jones did a Q and A today on The Athletic website. Someone asked what an ideal offseason would look like for the Jazz, this was his response: "For the Jazz (taking my version of ideal out of it), it would be to land Walker. Failing that, landing Harris, spending the veterans exception on Dedmon from Atlanta, and finding a shooter with the 4.7 million room exception and finding a rotation level player in the draft would be a pretty good summer. Also, Grayson Allen's summer is big as well. There's a chance he could develop into a rotation piece. The Jazz need that to happen."

He also said the Jazz have no interest in Jabari and he doesn't think they have any interest in Jeremy Lamb. He said if the Jazz happened to sign Tobias they would likely move Donovan to point guard and Royce to starting shooting guard. He said a trade for Conley is unlikely because they don't have the contracts to trade that they did at the deadline. Said Bogdanovic might be an under the radar guy to keep and eye on.

Tony Jones did a Q and A today on The Athletic website. Someone asked what an ideal offseason would look like for the Jazz, this was his response: "For the Jazz (taking my version of ideal out of it), it would be to land Walker. Failing that, landing Harris, spending the veterans exception on Dedmon from Atlanta, and finding a shooter with the 4.7 million room exception and finding a rotation level player in the draft would be a pretty good summer. Also, Grayson Allen's summer is big as well. There's a chance he could develop into a rotation piece. The Jazz need that to happen."

He also said the Jazz have no interest in Jabari and he doesn't think they have any interest in Jeremy Lamb. He said if the Jazz happened to sign Tobias they would likely move Donovan to point guard and Royce to starting shooting guard. He said a trade for Conley is unlikely because they don't have the contracts to trade that they did at the deadline. Said Bogdanovic might be an under the radar guy to keep and eye on.

Thanks for sharing... no problem with plan A... it’s the follow up plans I worry about... imma calm down for a minute and just let the offseason unfold. It sounds like there is a realistic chance we can swipe Harris... if money was all equal I think he’d pick us over Philly. They might be successful there but Butlers free agency, Embiids health, Ben Simmons unlikability all factor in plus his role will be marginalized there and magnified here. I think Brooklyn and NY could factor in too... those would be homecomings for him.

He said a trade for Conley is unlikely because they don't have the contracts to trade that they did at the deadline.
We absolutely do, it’s just that we’d refuse to move them (Exum and Favors), which would be absolutely bananas to not.