What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

i've thought he's skated by on potential for years, has he improved lately?
He ran the point for Miami for most of the year. He is a well rounded player on a great contract.

Miami has huge goals for summer 2020. I think they like Winslow but I don't know if they consider him a foundational or star type player. I think they might trade Winslow if they could also dump some bad contracts like Olynyk or James Johnson and also get a pick.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

i will be down for butler. we need to make a risk move to get to top. sure we can fail but we need a change to win it all

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Give a lusten to Lindsay on 1280 from this afternoon. Frank and forthcoming abot Rudy, Don, Favors. Talks about his job Quins Job and how they will evaluate team when season is over.

What I do is be extremely aggressive. Come the draft I am exploring all trade possibilities to acquire a third star. Literally every possibility. Conley, Beal, Lou Will, even Love. If none of those possibilities pan out then I am offering Kemba Walker a max deal the very minute that free agency opens while the big market teams are seeking to land the bigger fish free agents like KD, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, etc. My pitch to Kemba would be... you aren't these other teams first choice, but you are OUR first choice. We want you here. Our ownership and front office is committed and loyal. You will have our full support. You will be playing with the best players you have ever played with, with the best coach you have played for, and on the best team you have ever played with. We can compete for championship with you, Donovan and Rudy. It's a great pitch imo. If that doesn't work out then I'm staying aggressive in free agency to find anyone who brings a little shot creation off of the bounce and scoring ability.

Most really good NBA teams have 3 really good players and surround them with adequate players that compliment the good players' skills. We only have two really good players in Rudy and Spidy. The key is getting that third guy. You get more than 3 really good players there are not enough balls to go around.

My off season plan as GM would be to...
1) Tell Mitchell he is moving to PG, so he can spend the summer appropriately (Even if I acquire a starting PG, Mitchell will still be my backup PG).

2) Acquire players I think could be fringe all-stars next year. Specifically, I would (In order of preference):
+ A) Trade for Holiday or Conley
+ B) Sign Harris to max (3+1 player option with a no trade clause)
+ C) Trade for Gallinari
+ D) Trade for Gordon Hayward (yes, I went there)
+ E) Offer Butler 3 year max

3) If none of the above are possible, I would next try to overpay for players who I think could be starters on a championship team and compliment Mitchell:
+ A) Trade for Gary Harris
+ B) Offer near max to Brogdon (overpay because RFA status)

4) Trade for players with high upside who I think are available and can grow into fringe all-stars:
+ A) Lonzo Ball
+ B) Winslow

5) Sign offensive players with whatever space I have left (Bogdanovic, Mirotic, Jabari, Randle, Austin Rivers).

Lol. So you’re gonna take a swing at everyone like a headless chook ?

If I can get him while shipping out Dedex contract and while keeping the core 7 players from 50 win team, yes I take on Love who's got a lot of basketball ability in him. I believe his style will blend in the system without disrupting anything and enhancing whatever is in place.

I'm saying Mitchell and O'Neale are close like they are buddies. They spend a ton of time together. It's a loyalty thing.

Gobert and DM are probably close too, but the difference is this - O'Neale is not getting a big return but Gobert might.

To win a title, you need a handful of O'Neale type guys. There is no reason to package a guy Mitchell is close to in order to get a similar value in return. If you trade Gobert, you do it to massively upgrade PG or the wing then slide Favors in as starting C.

I don't think anyone should be untouchable.

After getting hired I'd tell everyone i'm new here need 2 weeks to get acclimated, and i'd prepare for a public statement/mission statement. For 2 weeks id drive everyone nuts, asking every question imaginable. After that 2 weeks is up;

I would completely gut the team.... Everyones available.. I'm not saying fire-sale, advocating unloading for cheap, everyones available tho. If I'm the GM i think I can rip these other GM's off, plain and simple.... thats just me tho, or else ima try... I'd fire out 1000's of trade offers immediately, on some Wayne Gretzky "you miss all the shots you dont take" typa ****. I know that my hand is not easy to catch in the cookie jar and would play it super-aggressive...

Grayson, Niang (2 guys i didnt really care for in college, but they can score and are cheap so a match).. and Royce O'Neale are guys I wouldnt hesitate to keep around.

Dennis Lindsey's vision is failed here. I'm not gonna have my one opportunity to sit in the GM's chair focused on some forsaken reclamation project, cleaning up this dudes mediocre, nba purgatory style mess.

I'd say we're gonna try to win with offense, like everyone else, instead of this walking on eggshells hoping the defense can douse, some white hot grease-fire like Harden.

and I'd say at the presser, maybe my final line "we wont be trading any more lottery picks for 30-year old rentals --- I'll step down before a move like that ever gets pushed thru" The one thing that would remain is the focus on player development, thats the big selling point. so we cant be developing players for some ****** slow paced offense like we have now.

I would reduce this teams avg age to one of the youngest int he league without a game ever being played. for certain, which is something i've always said in these hypotheticals (and i mean what has taken place has been far ******** IMO). Undoubdetly that is the safest course of action, instead navigator D Lindz is gonna try to run this ship til it capsizes and then say "oopsies" and disappear -- just watch..

So on day one, you would tell the team that you are new to the management (as if they weren't aware) and you need two weeks for your game plan on the teams future. During those two weeks you would prepare for a public press conference by using the individual team members responses to prepare for your statement that will be a public press conference. During that process you want to scare the players and the staff to get them on edge thinking, what are you capable of doing next?
With Dennis Lindsey fired (and I don't disagree with you that he shouldn't be) you are going to ensure that the teams primary focus is on offense. (Because that what all the cool kids are doing in the NBA, so why not make the Jazz like the other 80% of the teams trying to copy cat the Warriors style only without the talent that makes them successful at doing that)
At your press conference and 5 minutes of fame, you announce that your main focus is on player development, but you also announce that if your above 30 our team has no room for you. (Hard to develop young players without veteran experience and leadership) Then you ruthlessly chop the roster solely based on age and make us one of the youngest teams in the NBA, removing all veterans experience.
The youngest teams currently in the NBA are doing so great for themselves afterall.
1. NY Knicks 23.1
2. Phoenix Suns 23.3
3. Chicago Bulls 23.9
4. Orlando Magic 24.4

Sounds to me you need to learn which wooden blocks goes in what shape on your dropsy toy.

I don't approve of Dennis Lindsey, oopsies, my badd, "D Lindz", but I would take anyone over a kid in his moms basement that fantasizes about holocaust'ing out the Jazz team like yourself. Your name is Lord Bullington??? O hell no. You learned to spell cursive yesterday and now your ready to destroy the planet. I hope someone removes your training wheels so you can come back down to reality with an ouwy on your knee.

Anyway, I think it depends on what we do. If we presume we bring in a 20 ppg person, then I only see Conley and Love being those guys (could make a strong argument for Niko but so far DL has passed him up twice and probably not any more excited about him now that he’s out of sight and out of mind).

If we trade for Conley, then you offer the full MLE to Jabari.

If you go for Love, then you sign Beverley with the MLE. It even makes bringing back Rubio reasonable because you have a lot of options between the two and not overly reliant on either one.

I suppose a trade could land you Galo, but I don’t believe it’d be in a trade with players (because LA would want cap space), so it would be absorbing Galo into our cap space, which would prohibit us from having the MLE, so it’s not realistic.

Other guys that are good targets afterward:

Terrence Ross
Dewayne Dedmon

*again I’m not advocating a Love trade as much as I’m acknowledging its realistically high probability.

Sorry, I don't live in Utah. Are people advocating for Parker for basketball reasons or 'other' ones?

Why is it a high probability though? Is DL the dumbest gm that ever lived or something?
He would have to be to have a high probability of trading for the worst contract in the league. (Though walls is probably in the running)

Edit: John wall contact is worse. Lololololol at that ****ing thing. The wizards are ****ed forever

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I guess. But Wiggins contract is 'amazing'!

I have yet to hear why you think it's smart to blow up a 50 win team.

It depends on how close you think they are to a chip.

Remember the 2015(?) Hawks. They won 60 games. It was the right call to blow that thing up.

The Jazz had the third best net rating this year and were essentially a 58 win team. But this hides the fact they beat up on average/below average teams by giving them hidings - which boosted their net rating.

I think someone like Kemba would consider the Jazz if he were to forgo the massive contract Hornets could offer him. If he leaves, he will do it to win. Not to go to MSG etc.

I'm saying Mitchell and O'Neale are close like they are buddies. They spend a ton of time together. It's a loyalty thing.

Gobert and DM are probably close too, but the difference is this - O'Neale is not getting a big return but Gobert might.

To win a title, you need a handful of O'Neale type guys. There is no reason to package a guy Mitchell is close to in order to get a similar value in return. If you trade Gobert, you do it to massively upgrade PG or the wing then slide Favors in as starting C.

We have vastly different definitions of untouchable then, it's the first time I've heard of a hypothetical situation where someone is deemed untouchable because they are friends over how good they are at basketball.

The youngest teams currently in the NBA are doing so great for themselves afterall.
1. NY Knicks 23.1
2. Phoenix Suns 23.3
3. Chicago Bulls 23.9
4. Orlando Magic 24.4

Sounds to me you need to learn which wooden blocks goes in what shape on your dropsy toy.

I don't approve of Dennis Lindsey, oopsies, my badd, "D Lindz", but I would take anyone over a kid in his moms basement that fantasizes about holocaust'ing out the Jazz team like yourself. Your name is Lord Bullington??? O hell no. You learned to spell cursive yesterday and now your ready to destroy the planet. I hope someone removes your training wheels so you can come back down to reality with an ouwy on your knee.

For one, the Magic, have more wins than Utah in the playoffs.....

Sounds to me like you tried your hardest to muster a cheeky defiant response, but you truly missed my point, and tso i'll easily return serve like Prime Djokovic

What are those teams chances of winning the championship in the next 12 years compared to Utah?? C'mon type out some numbers. Even try to tell me Utah has a 4% chance of winning one and i'll tell u why thats crazy...

U are sipping the kool-aid if u think Utah has anything here that makes them a serious threat in the true scope of things...

Utah and the Dennis Lindsey regime are a fine example of the proverb; Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.

Have younger teams like the Kings and Nets and Bulls and Hawks not at least outpaced the progress of Utah in a 1 season span? Of Course they have... If it takes you a few years to find out, so be it.

You talk about the cool kids, like the Jazz mediocrity is some desirable counter-culture trait. It's not. why is that? What Utah has here is flawed buddy, U can't put lipstick on this pig. Lemme put this in big red letters so you understand;

Utah's personnel isn't STRONG ENOUGH to play the defense they hope to in the playoffs. THATS REALLY THE BIG JOKE ABOUT IT TBH... The tactics are in vain. U got this middle aged team thats still too weak.

There's a very obvious path on how to counter Utah and it involves loading up Wing players who are strong and explosive (1st step and vertically, and can get to the rack quick;y from the 3pt line, and who can shoot 3's.

Are you familiar with Formula 1 racing? You have a few team at the top, they are often called Formula 1.5, it's Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari -- they have the biggest budgets, better engines, better chassis, better drivers, etc.. That is what the NBA is like, and Utah is squarely ENTRENCHED in the HAVE-NOTS and there's no foreseeable escape as currently constituted....

Last edited:
We have vastly different definitions of untouchable then, it's the first time I've heard of a hypothetical situation where someone is deemed untouchable because they are friends over how good they are at basketball.
I don't think he literally means untouchable.
Like if golden State offered Steph for Oneal I'm certain he would do that deal.

I think that he means that the type of player that you could get from another team for Royce Oneal would be a player of a similar ability and he would rather have Royce than whoever the **** due to the salary Royce gets and the fact that he helps keep Mitchell happy.

People use the term " untouchable" too often and often incorrectly.
Many times I have heard that Ingles is untouchable. Obviously he isn't but it's just that he is more valuable to the jazz than he will be to another team.

I don't think he literally means untouchable.
Like if golden State offered Steph for Oneal I'm certain he would do that deal.

I think that he means that the type of player that you could get from another team for Royce Oneal would be a player of a similar ability and he would rather have Royce than whoever the **** due to the salary Royce gets and the fact that he helps keep Mitchell happy.

People use the term " untouchable" too often and often incorrectly.
Many times I have heard that Ingles is untouchable. Obviously he isn't but it's just that he is more valuable to the jazz than he will be to another team.
Thank you Fish. Great breakdown.

I need to start using - "not worth trading" or "bad value trade" instead of "untouchable" when describing guys like O'Neale or Ingles.

And for the record, I think O'Neale is a very, very good player who is going to get better. He could maybe should be a starter as soon as next year. And at less than $2 million, he is such a bargain for us.

Thank you Fish. Great breakdown.

I need to start using - "not worth trading" or "bad value trade" instead of "untouchable" when describing guys like O'Neale or Ingles.

And for the record, I think O'Neale is a very, very good player who is going to get better. He could maybe should be a starter as soon as next year. And at less than $2 million, he is such a bargain for us.

Agreed.
I kinda think quin might be holding him back a little on offense. Maybe next year his leash to try to do more offensively will grow and his minutes as well.