What's new

Yurtseven signed

Off the ball players don’t stand out most times in summer league
Agreed. And some of the players who do well dominating the ball in SL dont translate at the next level.
You are better off terminating the contract a year early than providing a player option. There is never a situation when a player option will not screw you. Either they can get more money and bail, or they cannot and you are stuck paying above market rate.
Agreed, but again, two sides are negotiating and if a player you want has options, you have to decide how much to cater to their wants to get them. Just like every GM wants team options, every player and every agent want player options.

Seems like a replacement level big at best. Kind of hate this move, but it's whatever I guess. You need bodies for bigs and he's a body at least and probably better than the other bigs left?

You are better off terminating the contract a year early than providing a player option. There is never a situation when a player option will not screw you. Either they can get more money and bail, or they cannot and you are stuck paying above market rate.
The situation is the contract is not getting signed unless you include the option

The situation is the contract is not getting signed unless you include the option
The Jazz have signed plenty of player options to mediocre players. I get the Clarkson one because we got a deal on the contract, but overpaying AND giving the extra year player option like we have done is moronic. Danny sure as hell isn't doing that, so it looks like it was never required.

Over the last 20 years how many Jazz players opted out of their player option?

The Jazz have signed plenty of player options to mediocre players. I get the Clarkson one because we got a deal on the contract, but overpaying AND giving the extra year player option like we have done is moronic. Danny sure as hell isn't doing that, so it looks like it was never required.

DL was baking the kak.

Danny hasnt signed anyone of note and Utah hasnt been in a desperate situation w/ Danny at the helm like they were when Utah was in their contention window w/ DL. So any kind of statement about Danny not doing those things is kind of silly when we havent seen him in those situations.

He extended Clarkson by giving him a massive pay upgrade with a front loaded contract, so that probably negated the need for a player option.

Also, I doubt Danny is negotiating these contracts. Zanick is the former agent. He got hired for his ability in these kind of things, so he is probably the one negotiating contracts more than anyone.

Also, most of the contracts DL signed were seen as being good (even the Rudy Gay deal was seen as necessary because I think most national people thought he had a good year or two left). The only one that was standout questionable was the Favors contract, and I think everyone kind of assumed that was kind of a "favor" contract (pun intended) for how much Favors sacrificed in terms of minutes/role over his time in Utah. I would agree Danny is probably less in that business when it comes to dealing with players.

Olden Polynice. It didn’t really work out so hot for him. And I believe Danny Manning. Those are both stretching just a smidge past 20 years but those are the ones that come to mind outside of Hayward.

Oh and Carlos “I’ll get a raise regardless” Boozer.

I like Jones but this guy is more aggressive on offense.

A lot of Heat fans on Reddit claim Yurtseven isn't good on defense while others say he's decent. It's weird there's no consensus.

When they Heat opted out of making a QO offer on him some Heat fans were relieved and some were disappointed. So at least he wasn't solely disliked by the fans.

I like Jones but this guy is more aggressive on offense.

A lot of Heat fans on Reddit claim Yurtseven isn't good on defense while others say he's decent. It's weird there's no consensus.

When they Heat opted out of making a QO offer on him some Heat fans were relieved and some were disappointed. So at least he wasn't solely disliked by the fans.
The case for Yurtseven over Jones is that Yurtseven has been given one stretch of games w/ extended minutes to prove himself and he did, and since has either been injured or has been stuck behind a big on a team that didnt want to play big (for whatever reason).

So you really know what Jones is. He's a OKish 3rd string center. Omar is probably that too, but there's a chance he could be more.

It has nothing to do with how mediocre the player is. Sometimes there is lots of competition for "mediocre" players to fill out rosters and rotation minutes. And sometime it takes extra incentive to get players to come to Utah. There is not one GM on the planet who wants to give player options. It is a very simple supply and demand equation based upon who you want to complement your team and your system.

Spoelstra likes small ball and hardly played Yurt. He had some flashes when he plays, but plays too passive.

He lost his spot to Cody Zeller (remember him?) and Orlando Robinson.
Yeah, this does give me pause which is why I'm not super hopeful. I know Yurt was dealing with injuries from the season and stuff, but he was healthy and playable in teh playoffs and his team didnt even think about putting him out there against Jokic.

Yeah, this does give me pause which is why I'm not super hopeful. I know Yurt was dealing with injuries from the season and stuff, but he was healthy and playable in teh playoffs and his team didnt even think about putting him out there against Jokic.
He had to have surgery on his ankle during the season so maybe he will be all healed up by the time camp starts. I'm trying to be Pollyanna here.

He had to have surgery on his ankle during the season so maybe he will be all healed up by the time camp starts. I'm trying to be Pollyanna here.
He was playing to end the regular season this past year and got spot garbage time minutes in the playoffs. He's been healthy enough for a bit