What's new

Zach Lavine's rise to greatness

Makes you wonder if the tank is on..... coach Mitchell is starting to play the young guys heavy minutes, K-Mart hasn't been playing much neither.

are you insinuating that Zach is purposefully sucking?

Players don't tank

you think they had visions of the playoffs dancing through their heads at some point?

I think they gave it a go in the first 1/3 of the season (why wouldn't you when you've got the surging Wiggins and the NBA ready KAT). This is evident by them playing K-Mart and Garnett in the early stage of the season but now K-Mart is glued to the bench and Garnett is taking the odd game off here and there, so clearly the strategy has changed. Wiggins clearly hasn't taken the next step they thought he might.

Over the Wolves' past 7 games Zach is averaging less than 4 points, shooting about 20%, and hasn't made a single 3-point shot. The Wolves have also lost 10 of their last 11 games.

But, but, but...he's the Savior!

Mitchell did an interview recently where he basically slammed Lavine... never heard a coach talk about a young player like that for a while. Kinda strange actually.

I thought Lavine would have been a decent pick for us at #22 that year. I'm happy with Hood though.

I wouldn't say Lavine's potential is over. He just needs to mature physically. The system he's in isn't great either. He's not the most cerebral guy. Feels a bit like Jeremy Lamb.

I thought Lavine would have been a decent pick for us at #22 that year. I'm happy with Hood though.

I wouldn't say Lavine's potential is over. He just needs to mature physically. The system he's in isn't great either. He's not the most cerebral guy. Feels a bit like Jeremy Lamb.

He had a month where he was playing amazing. Now he has a month where he has played terrible. Sounds like a young player. Anyone saying "told you so" now is kind of shortsighted.

nice link

Google is your friend...

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2016/01/qa-sam-mitchell-weighs-zach-lavine-andrew-wiggins-and-wolves-season-so-far

Here's a snippet....

MP: Are the kids further behind defensively or offensively? It seems to me it is defensively, with Zach [LaVine] anyway.

SM: Offensively.

MP: You would say, even with Zach?

SM: Yeah. Because if you think about, everybody thinks it is just easy to play offense. But I can show you — OK, let me show you something.

There are two television monitors and a laptop all perched in a row across the side of Mitchell’s desk. All are frozen on tape of the Cleveland Cavaliers, the opponent the Wolves would be playing the next night [last Friday]. Mitchell spends the next five minutes showing the various ways that Cleveland point guard Kyrie Irving excels on offense.

SM: Cleveland is just going one on one. The last three possessions they got two layups and a 15-foot jump shot and they didn’t run a single [set] play. So everybody thinks offense is easy, but the thing that Zach and them have to learn is how to cut, how to set your man up.

You know I took Zach out of the game in Philly, because for three possessions in a row he couldn’t get the ball. Now, he was the point guard, right? But he just walked out there. What about setting your man up? What about taking two hard steps away, then stepping into your guy, holding off, then [claps his hands] burst! You would think that’s just natural. But who coached him? I don’t know his high school coach. I don’t know his AAU coach. I know who his college coach was, but he didn’t start or play but 18 minutes a game in college.

People think that learning is easy. But if it is not a habit — OK, you watch Kyrie Irving. Every time he goes to get the ball, he steps into his guy and then breaks off — every time. That’s all he knows. It is a habit. I learned it when I started going to basketball camp. But back then, that was professional coaches at those camps, high school and college coaches teaching us. It wasn’t some guy that owned a car wash and had some money and decided he was going to start an AAU team and he was gonna be the coach because he read a book or he watched basketball, and thinking he can coach. No, I had professional coaches.

So, we’re trying to teach him and others about spacing; about timing; when to cut; finishing your cut

What was I suppose to google "Minnesota T'Wolves Coach Interview" and wade through dozens of interviews and guess which one you were talking about?

I typed in "interview with sam mitchell lavine" it's the first link that came up with a picture of sam mitchell.

Something happened 7 games ago in Minnesota. During that stretch, LaVine went from playing low minutes (somewhere in the teens), to starter-level minutes. He's putting up stats. And the Wolves are 1-6 during that span.

Zach Lavine with 35 points tonight. 14/17 shooting. 82% FG

He's still only 20 years old.

Care to keep digging that hole? Here, you can borrow Thee Jazz Fan's personal shovel. Two peas in pod.

Zach Lavine with 35 points tonight. 14/17 shooting. 82% FG

He's still only 20 years old.

Care to keep digging that hole? Here, you can borrow Thee Jazz Fan's personal shovel. Two peas in pod.

Zach Lavine tonight even with an awesome shooting night +/- is -4 .. think about it Even on a night where he puts up more than a point a minute played his team still trails the other with him on the court. Stop and think for a minute, what is this telling you ??

Zach Lavine tonight even with an awesome shooting night +/- is -4 .. think about it Even on a night where he puts up more than a point a minute played his team still trails the other with him on the court. Stop and think for a minute, what is this telling you ??

That he is playing against OKC, one of the best teams in the NBA.