What's new

Zach Lowe: Exum Might Not Be the PG Answer Next Season

Do pigs fly out from where you are from?

Next year the expectation will be playoffs, especially if we make them this year. Jazz will not want to start slow. They will still play Exum ample minutes, but I bet Mack starts just to make sure there isnt a rough transition period. The only reason Exum ever started was because Trey Burke is Trey Burke.

Next year the expectation will be playoffs, especially if we make them this year. Jazz will not want to start slow. They will still play Exum ample minutes, but I bet Mack starts just to make sure there isnt a rough transition period. The only reason Exum ever started was because Trey Burke is Trey Burke.
Good post

I will be disappointed if Exum doesn't have amazing handles next season. If there is one thing you can work on while recovering from an ACL injury, it's dribbling basketballs.

Every NBA point guard dribbles for practice when they are young until they make pros. Why you think Dante would be different?

Isn't Mack going to be a free-agent this summer? Nice of the Jazz to boost his asking price.

Mack has a non-guaranteed year next year at $2.4 mil. Basically it is a team option, but at that price we are going to be keeping him.

As for Dante, if he is completely healthy I seem him starting but not finishing games at the beginning of the year.

The only reason Exum ever started was because Trey Burke is Trey Burke.

Totally disagree with this ....he started because he moved the ball up court and he was fast ,long and quick able to stay in front of PG's and make them try shooting over his long reach. The proof is in the defensive stats and won/loss record and if I'm not wrong during that 29 game stretch Exum had the best plus/minus of the Jazz .....show me where Im wrong

Exum will be the PG if he comes to preseason with the same speed ,he still has the same length and undoubtedly a little stronger as well

As for Dante, if he is completely healthy I seem him starting but not finishing games at the beginning of the year.

I also see his defense being key in closing games , having his length on defense on the perimeter makes everybody look longer and allows Gobert to cheat.This was so key to being the top rated defensive team when he played.

How can anyone take an ESPN article about the Jazz seriously? This is the seed to the story about Exum going to the Lakers after he is mentored by Kobe.

Exum is going to be the starter and the Jazz are not just going to give up on him after one season. I was excited about this pick and I still think Exum is going to be special. Mack is the backup and a very good one. Neto will get spot duty next year and Trey is a throw in on some type of trade.

How can anyone take an ESPN article about the Jazz seriously?

Because it's Zach Lowe, an extremely legitimate basketball writer.

And the article isn't even about the Jazz. It's about the Hawks. Comment about the Jazz is item nine of ten in the standard "ten other things" succeeding the main concept of the piece.

The better question is, How can anyone not take a Zach Lowe piece seriously? I think not reading it, as you have clearly demonstrated, is option number one.

Why does bringing in another PG mean the Jazz are giving up on Dante or need to trade him?

Stockton took 3 years to develop...and that was after playing 4 years of college basketball. There's no reason Utah can't bring in a starter and have Exum play 20 mins as a backup. I'd say it would take a year to have the knee fully recover (look at Wesley Matthews' season to date). However, Dante had such a crappy year offensively, he can probably just put a blindfold on and duplicate his 35%/31%.

Ideally, any veteran Utah brings in would start for 1-2 years and then give way to Dante if/when Exum proves he can be a top-tier starter. Besides, Mack has only 1 year left on his contract (a team option). Utah could keep 4 PG's for one season, until they are sure Exum is healthy. Or they can decide between Mack and Neto as the 3rd PG.

I do think it unlikely Lindsey gets another PG, though. He certainly has shown zero interest in being a player in free agency. I guess a trade could happen. But is the 14th-15th pick going to be worth much?

Last edited:
I think this is one of the reasons why extending Favors this offseason is a wise move. If Lyles pans out we can use him or Favors (or Gobert to an extent) to hedge the fact that Exum might not pan out. In 2 or 3 years when we know more, we can dangle Lyles or Favors for a legit PG.

I think this is one of the reasons why extending Favors this offseason is a wise move. If Lyles pans out we can use him or Favors (or Gobert to an extent) to hedge the fact that Exum might not pan out. In 2 or 3 years when we know more, we can dangle Lyles or Favors for a legit PG.

That first game of summer league Dante looked and played like a stud.

This, everyone just sit back, relax and watch Dante become the tall explosive PG the Jazz needs. Because he will be as explosive when he comes back from the injury right? RIGHT? OF COURSE HE WILL! *hysterical laugh

We depend on his growth as a player more than we could imagine...

I'm not saying he's not or he won't be. I'm just saying that we need to have better PG play then we've had the past few seasons and if (there's still a high if with Exum) he doesn't pan out we'll have a surplus of bigs we can trade for an elite PG.

Totally disagree with this ....he started because he moved the ball up court and he was fast ,long and quick able to stay in front of PG's and make them try shooting over his long reach. The proof is in the defensive stats and won/loss record and if I'm not wrong during that 29 game stretch Exum had the best plus/minus of the Jazz .....show me where Im wrong

Exum will be the PG if he comes to preseason with the same speed ,he still has the same length and undoubtedly a little stronger as well

None of which trey Burke does...

I don't think the jazz are giving up on exum if they sign another pg. They are just saying they want to take pressure off him and let him age another year while still being competitive.

Locke had a good talking point yesterday, he said the difference between Burke & Neto compared to Mack is that Mack can turn the corner on a pick and roll adn go to the rim. His ability to go to the rim adn score forces the defense to play the PnR different, and opens up the corner three or the Favors roll to the hoop depending on the choice the defense makes. Locke said it is a complete game changer for the Jazz offense. I listen to the games, so I don't see it, can anyone comment on Lockes observations?

As, he said it, I thought "if this is true where does Dante fit into the jazz future?" Lest you forgot, Dante was extremely bad at going to the hoop. It was painfully obvious to everyone. He only attempted 32 ft last season, that is less than 1 ft attempt per 100 possessions, that is good enough to be ranked 90th out of 90 players who started as a guard in the 14-15 season.

If the Jazz offence works better with a guard who can drive, and Dante can't/won't/doesn't know how to drive, and he is recovering from injury, what do the Jazz do?

lol

Shelvin Mack is only 25, and looks better than he ever did in Atlanta. Quin Snyder has worked magic with guys like Lyles, Neto and even Favors, Gobert, Hayward and Hood. I'm excited to see what Dante can do, but I'm content to roll with Mack as the starter for another year if needed. Had he been here the whole season (and Burke gone) the Jazz would comfortably be in the playoffs right now. And that's minus Exum and Burks for most of the year.

Quin has proven that he's one of the top developmental coaches in the league. I hope he elevates Dante into superstar status and they keep Mack and Neto to fill the Patty Mills/Cory Joseph role as backup PGs that the Spurs used to roll with.

Shelvin Mack is only 25, and looks better than he ever did in Atlanta. Quin Snyder has worked magic with guys like Lyles, Neto and even Favors, Gobert, Hayward and Hood. I'm excited to see what Dante can do, but I'm content to roll with Mack as the starter for another year if needed. Had he been here the whole season (and Burke gone) the Jazz would comfortably be in the playoffs right now. And that's minus Exum and Burks for most of the year.

Quin has proven that he's one of the top developmental coaches in the league. I hope he elevates Dante into superstar status and they keep Mack and Neto to fill the Patty Mills/Cory Joseph role as backup PGs that the Spurs used to roll with.

I like it. But there's not a chance in hell Dante doesn't start next year. He will be 100% from his ACL, he will be a lot stronger, and he will have another years worth of experience and learning, if not play under his belt. He will be shockingly good.