What's new

Zero Points

It's a knock that goes to both Niang and Ingles - and to be fair I have no data to back this up - but it seems they mostly hit their shots when the team is already winning and everybody is playing well. That's only natural, and maybe that's just a reflection of the level of players that they are. But, if you want someone to come in when the team is struggling and hit big shots - you put that money on Conley or Clarkson. Possibly Elijah Hughes - we'll see.

Is Niang the whipping boy this season or is it Royce? I lose track. Last year it was Conley, right? We are a darn good team if Niang is your worst player. He had a higher EFG than Bojan and Jingles.
Well yeah, as volume goes up, efficiency generally goes down.

But regardless, the problem with Niang isn't his scoring ability - it's his defense. And I don't think scoring off the bench is going to be a weakness of this year's team, so I'd rather we use those extra minutes to develop a player with high potential defensively like Miye Oni.

Niang just needs to make the shot. He’s good at making them. He’s proven this. If he made 2/4, would he suddenly be the best shooter in NBA history? If your answer is no, than there is no reason to freak out about him going 0/4.
I do wonder how effective a shooter can be in short stints off the bench. Almost need a minute or two to get in game flow before I expect a good percentage of the shots go in. I just think Shaq or Oni would be important to get out there to get some reps now. We know what Georges is and if we have to go back to him thats fine because he's semi-dependable. I think it would be easier for those guys to have a positive effect on the game defensively and make some energy plays in that super short playing window. Getting one turnover that turns into a layup is better than hitting one three... maybe? Niang also seems to force shots up kinda knowing he only has a couple minutes so better get em up while he can.

The upside there is good too... maybe you see the value Oni or Shaq brings and ramp down Ingles or Mike's minutes a bit because these kids are too good to ignore?

I don't see why we don't just go with an 8 man rotation. Cut Niang out and give the extra minutes to Joe, Favs and Clarkson.
I wouldn't go to 8 men until the playoffs. We need to spread minutes out a little bit and we really need to get Oni and Shaq some regular reps imo... or we end up getting into the playoffs and not knowing what we have in those guys and going with old reliable again.

Niang hasn't done enough to hold his spot in the rotation. I think the other guys have more upside and bring something we lack. I know we got Favs back but putting JC, Niang, and Mike/DM/Bojan out there with him and Ingles isn't a great recipe for defensive success. If Oni is our best perimeter defender get him out there. Shaq is really disruptive and could change a game or two with his defensive energy.

Coach q is sometimes like a gynocologist. He gets tunnel vision. I get he knows who he can rely on but in the same sense doesn't know what all he has. He preaches defense but leaves potentially great defenders on the bench. Hopefully Don and Bogey start hitting shots and we can build leads that allow us to see what these new guys can do.

Last edited:
I do wonder how effective a shooter can be in short stints off the bench. Almost need a minute or two to get in game flow before I expect a good percentage of the shots go in. I just think Shaq or Oni would be important to get out there to get some reps now. We know what Georges is and if we have to go back to him thats fine because he's semi-dependable. I think it would be easier for those guys to have a positive effect on the game defensively and make some energy plays in that super short playing window. Getting one turnover that turns into a layup is better than hitting one three... maybe? Niang also seems to force shots up kinda knowing he only has a couple minutes so better get em up while he can.

The upside there is good too... maybe you see the value Oni or Shaq brings and ramp down Ingles or Mike's minutes a bit because these kids are too good to ignore?

I think the small minutes thing goes both ways. Maybe shooting is more rhythm based than defense, but it’s also hard to make a defensive impact in a 3 minute stretch. If Oni or Shaq was playing instead of Niang and they got scores on twice I wouldn’t be freaking out on them either. Hell, Niang has actually played pretty well on defense so far. Both in the regular season and preseason.

I get the allure of Oni and Shaq and it would be great to get them some minutes. But our problems with perimeter defense aren’t being solved by replacing Niang. Our problems stem from Bogey, Mitchell, Clarkson, and Conley being poor defenders. Those are the guys they’d have to supplant to really fix the issues. Perimeter defense isn’t a issue that’s solved in a 3 minute stretch in the middle of each half.

Niang is a 10 minute a night guy max. He plays a role, he plays the role well, and we need that role. Maybe Oni and Shaq would also do well, but I think people are missing the boat here when thinking that Niang for Oni/Shaq is the solution for the defense.

Like I said, I’d love to get these guys minutes, but I don’t see the opportunity until guys get injured or rested. It’s not a big deal of Niang loses his minutes so maybe Quin can get Oni/Shaq some time. Oni in particular has the potential who could actually play a bigger role going forward.

Royce and Ingles both solidified their positions in the rotations by necessity. So maybe that’s the only path to crack into Quins rotation.

I think the small minutes thing goes both ways. Maybe shooting is more rhythm based than defense, but it’s also hard to make a defensive impact in a 3 minute stretch.
I think shooting is much more rhythm based imo. I get the overall premise though. 10 minutes won't change the bigger defensive issues... unless in the 10 minutes the guy proves himself enough to take minutes from other lesser defenders.

Covid and compressed scheduke will give these guys chances. When Joe got a couple quick fouls, Oni got a couple of minutes. And Shaq got a possession or two when Quin wanted to sub in Conley during a defensive possession..

Personally, I would pair up Shaq with Juwan. Better defense at the point of attack and easier to play a switchable defense when they are on the floor.

I'd bet that we're going to rest Conley on the upcoming B2B. Joe too if he's willing to lose his streak. That's when Oni/Shaq will get a chance.

I'd bet that we're going to rest Conley on the upcoming B2B. Joe too if he's willing to lose his streak. That's when Oni/Shaq will get a chance.
Niang kept the streak alive tonight. He will be well rested for tomorrow to get off the schneid.

Niang isn't an NBA talent, The Jazz are a big joke for having him on our roster and Quin is a clown to continue to play him. Oni, Forrest and Elijah are already way better than him.

Niang is fine when he just stands in the corner and takes open threes. i have no idea why he tries (and fails) to do anything else out there.

Niang was a GLeague all star but so were Kevin Murphy, Mo Almond, Jack Cooley, Pierre Jackson, Bryce Cotton and Dee Bost all of whom passed through SLC and aren't playing in the league.
Exactly but more current Oni, Elijah and company are way better than fat man niang

Eqs1gSJXMAEHHDJ

I found this on Twitter - it's a new account called
GeorgesNiangTracker
@NiangTracker

H
omeytennis - is that you?