What's new

Zettler out; Suns staffer in as head trainer

From how I am reading if the hire of Mike Elliott is to fill the position of "Vice President of Performance Health Care". He will act in Zettlers place till a replacement for Zettler is found. Zettler resigned to pursue "personal interests".

Jazz beefing up the player health side it appears.

Twitter is my source.

[TWEET]897162880499433477[/TWEET]
Praise be the Lord of Medicine and Player Health! We are saved!

And to add to the intrigue of this move Mike Elliot seems like the long-lost David Locke twin:

DHNYrEbVwAE6v1D.jpg

Anyone with the balls to dress up like this for a game is good in my books:

B5lnqlvCEAABaz_.png

https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/897162880499433477

This is huge. In a league where you pay hundreds of millions for players why wouldn't you invest in top performing medical and development staff... no cap space required.

Been saying for a while I'm not sure why someone would not offer top dollar for Phoenix's staff when they been amazing throughout the years. Kept guys going longer and then likely gave some of the input that helped them avoid re-signing amare. So glad it was us especially because of our weird injuries. Not a doctor but based on results I'd say we needed improvement here... good to see how active we have been.

Just a reminder, Bledsoe has had two seasons out of four w/ the Suns w/ major injuries, so this guy isnt a miracle worker.

Ah, so they offered Zettler a demotion. Good to see us systemically improving our team. Interested to see our health moving forward.

Please oh please be our savior! Our greatest weakness last season.

With less injuries do we make it to WCF last year? No warriors in the second round, would have needed to beat HOU or SAS.

This is huge. In a league where you pay hundreds of millions for players why wouldn't you invest in top performing medical and development staff... no cap space required.

Yep, I think spending money on non-cap space items (coaches, staff, analytics, facilities, etc.) is key for teams like the Jazz. Love that they seem to be doing that now.

Just a reminder, Bledsoe has had two seasons out of four w/ the Suns w/ major injuries, so this guy isnt a miracle worker.

But those were major knee injuries and it isn't like he could have stopped those. I'd just like us to avoid the mysterious Favors type injuries and mis-diagnosis of AB.

He kept the old guys going... if he can keep Favs going and protect some of our others from sustaining weird preventable (in my uneducated opinion) injuries than it is money well spent. Maybe he could help with the George Hill nagging injuries too.

I just think we could improve and we went out and got the guy that is best able to do that.... or at least has a great history of doing so.

I wonder how much of the injury woes were on Zettler and how much was on players, or freakish mistakes. Regardless, I understand why the Jazz couldn't sit back and wait another year to find out. The Jazz are trying to promote themselves to players and agents as a premier destination, this moves contributes to that image.

Someday I hope a recently departed Jazz employee, like Zettler, writes an expose of his time with the Jazz.

I wonder how much of the injury woes were on Zettler and how much was on players, or freakish mistakes. Regardless, I understand why the Jazz couldn't sit back and wait another year to find out. The Jazz are trying to promote themselves to players and agents as a premier destination, this moves contributes to that image.

Someday I hope a recently departed Jazz employee, like Zettler, writes an expose of his time with the Jazz.

Not sure on him personally, but mistakes were made somewhere... whether Favs didn't follow the program or the staff wrote the wrong program to have an overuse type injury to start the year is obviously not ideal.

AB sought multiple opinions before deciding on another surgery... that delayed his return when he could have done the surgery much earlier.

The results were bad... all I am qualified to say.

Agree with the idea we are trying to make all the extra stuff a big plus for the players... from the way we take care of players families to the new practice facility. Development staff is good and now we have a good medical staff (I think). Controlling what we can.

Suns fans are saying

Our secret weapons are getting poached.

Smh..... Can't they just go pick apart the Warriors?

It's actually really crazy that I instantly recognize him from his name, he's been a big part of the training staff as Aaron Nelsons right hand man. He would also frequently get shout outs from PJ Tucker while he was here. He will definitely be missed but I'm sure he's excited for this step forward in his career.

This is ****ed, Elliot was a big part of why we had a great training staff. We should’ve tried to out bid them!

LOL. Anyone know the story behind this?

OK, here's some info: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/phoenix-suns-coach-buddy-the-elf-122414

Basically it was an "ugly Christmas sweater" night by the coaching staff, and he decided to take it one step farther than that.

In other news, I learned from that article that he was the NBA Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year in 2014. (See http://www.nba.com/suns/news/mike-elliott-named-nba-strength-and-conditioning-coach-year) Didn't know there was such a thing, but grabbing a winner has got to be a good thing, right?