What's new

In case you didn't know what this is...

Well two things we know. He can block shots, and he can dunk.

I'd like to see if he has more offensive moves than a dunk in his repertoire.

He also seems to have a high motor, but I don't discount sampling bias for the highlights.

Still, I'd be down with picking him 12th, if only for his defense. In that little highlight reel, I'm convinced he's better than Fesenko. Meanwhile, I'll be praying that Williams somehow slips down to #3.

He may be a nightmare to opposing offenses, but he's a dream for their defenses. I'd like to see if he can hit a shot or at least be someone who has to be accounted for on offense. The blocks were nice, but there were a number of them that will get the shooter 2 free throws in the NBA. I wouldn't be opposed to him at #12, but I think I would rather have Faried if choosing between defensive minded 4's.

Biyombo is a lot bigger from a position standpoint than Faried. Biyombo is the same height without shoes as Faried is in shoes and has a 7" longer wingspan AND 20+ more LBS. That is a massive difference into what kind of players they *can* be. Biyombo could very well be a bust but if you're picking between he and Faried, to me its a no brainer.

If youre gonna knock Biyombo's lack of quality competition I'd refrain from bringing up Faried's...........Austin Peay twice? Tenn Tech? SE Mo St? I don't have anything against the guy but I can pull down 5 boards a game in that league without a proper stretching routine.

I understand the argument for not taking him at #3, since, in the NBA, a prospect drafted that high is expected to do it on both ends of the court. But, seriously, if you're not drooling over this kid then you aren't a basketball fan. That's right.

If I'm in the Utah Jazz draft room and I hear Minnesota select Derrick Williams, then I get on the phone and pull a deal with Toronto or Washington in order that swaps our #3 for their pick + their (top 7?) protected pick next year. Then, I select Biyombo, obviously.

Have you not been reading the reports on Kanter?
Jazz must take him if at #3.

Wait... I'm pretty sure the reports on Kanter weren't glowing about the quality of competition he's been facing.
The anti-Biyombo crowd seems to be leaning pretty hard on that same point (at least in this reactionary and ill-informed thread).

Biyombo is a lot bigger from a position standpoint than Faried. Biyombo is the same height without shoes as Faried is in shoes and has a 7" longer wingspan AND 20+ more LBS. That is a massive difference into what kind of players they *can* be. Biyombo could very well be a bust but if you're picking between he and Faried, to me its a no brainer.

If youre gonna knock Biyombo's lack of quality competition I'd refrain from bringing up Faried's...........Austin Peay twice? Tenn Tech? SE Mo St? I don't have anything against the guy but I can pull down 5 boards a game in that league without a proper stretching routine.

Hold on...checking...nope, never knocked his competition.

Hold on...checking...nope, never knocked his competition.

You're absolutely right. What happened was I really wanted to post that and also respond to the comp level comment so I combined the two as I was needing to get into the shower. It was poor judgement and I honestly couldn't be more sorry. In an effort to make amends and tie this whole thing together PM me your address and I'll get you a Bed Bath And Beyond gift basket right out.

Wait... I'm pretty sure the reports on Kanter weren't glowing about the quality of competition he's been facing.
The anti-Biyombo crowd seems to be leaning pretty hard on that same point (at least in this reactionary and ill-informed thread).

Pretty sure that was sarcasm what slc said about Kanter...

At least put up highlights of Biyombo going against respectable competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5OrPU9QEg

I was looking for a head to head height comparison and didn't get the best, but he seems to be somewhere between 6'8" McAdoo and 6'10" Anthony Davis.

At least put up highlights of Biyombo going against respectable competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5OrPU9QEg

I was looking for a head to head height comparison and didn't get the best, but he seems to be somewhere between 6'8" McAdoo and 6'10" Anthony Davis.

I just figured anyone that had been paying attention would've seen this already. But yes, this is what alerted me and most people to his game.

I said it awhile ago... this guy is locked in at 3rd on my draft board. That is, he's ahead of Kanter. No change.

I said it awhile ago... this guy is locked in at 3rd on my draft board. That is, he's ahead of Kanter. No change.

Bold. I don't know that I agree, but I don't disagree. That probably makes no sense.

Bold. I don't know that I agree, but I don't disagree. That probably makes no sense.

I'd take take Irving or Williams over him in a heartbeat, no doubt.

I don't really see room for Kanter on the Jazz, but I'm beginning to come around to the idea. In the end, though, I think we'll end up with enough scoring power (when you add #12, next year's draft, and the development of our young guys) and would be better served by the alchemy that Biyombo could bring to the defensive side of the ball. That **** is infectious as hell.

I'd take take Irving or Williams over him in a heartbeat, no doubt.

I don't really see room for Kanter on the Jazz, but I'm beginning to come around to the idea. In the end, though, I think we'll end up with enough scoring power (when you add #12, next year's draft, and the development of our young guys) and would be better served by the alchemy that Biyombo could bring to the defensive side of the ball. That **** is infectious as hell.

Jefferson was immunized to that at birth unfortunately.