What's new

In case you didn't know what this is...

Cool video, he's obviously a fantastic athlete. But I still think you get a better picture from the Spain videos. I'll post a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjnHRcsulA (Real Madrid, there's a part II also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AChPDnUlOFg (Lagun)

These are NOT exciting videos. They are single games that only recorded the minutes he played in real time. There's a bunch more. But you get to see how he plays when he's just playing.

Personally, I'm real impressed. As I said in another thread, he plays a bit like KG. His head is up, he knows where the ball is at all times, and he's like a QB playing offense on defense. Very good help instincts from what I saw. He bungles switches from time to time, but every young player does, and what I like is he's always trying to play the ball even when he makes mistakes. What you don't see is a lot of post defense because these Spanish teams rarely post. But I don't get the sense from watching him that he won't become a good post defender. He'll definitely have his foul troubles in that area until he gets experience because he's real aggressive.

Cool video, he's obviously a fantastic athlete. But I still think you get a better picture from the Spain videos. I'll post a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjnHRcsulA (Real Madrid, there's a part II also)

These are NOT exciting videos. They are single games that only recorded the minutes he played in real time. There's a bunch more. But you get to see how he plays when he's just playing.

Personally, I'm real impressed. As I said in another thread, he plays a bit like KG. His head is up, he knows where the ball is at all times, and he's like a QB playing offense on defense. Very good help instincts from what I saw. He bungles switches from time to time, but every young player does, and what I like is he's always trying to play the ball even when he makes mistakes. What you don't see is a lot of post defense because these Spanish teams rarely post. But I don't get the sense from watching him that he won't become a good post defender. He'll definitely have his foul troubles in that area until he gets experience because he's real aggressive.

Good post, thanks.

Also, the competition concerns aren't valid. I watched about 4 games. Every team I saw, including Biyombo's, would have crushed UConn, Duke, or pick your favorite team. It's not so much the players, but they're running precision offenses that look like Dallas tonight. PnR, drives, spaced shooters. They obviously couldn't beat NBA teams because they don't have the skilled players. But it's better training for any potential NBA player than college ball.

Thanks for the vids. I was going to ask if anyone had them, but you've already answered that.

I don't see why he wouldn't be a good post defender. Everyone wants to look for the next Dwight Howard, and there's enough talk about Favors having that body type. If anything, Biyombo is the leading candidate, although slightly shorter. His shoulders are pretty big. He looks like a man among boys at times.

I'm starting to come around to him, much more than I am with the elusive Kanter. I might be with NAOS on this one. The kid is freakish, but too raw with his 2 or 3 short years knowing what the cowhide globe is.

After watching some actual game footage, I don't think he'll be ready to start in the NBA for at least 2, maybe 3 years. Right now he's worthy of an 8-12th pick. If we don't pick up Kanter at 3, I'd be pretty ecstatic to have Favors and Biyombo as our starting bigs in 2015; it would be a far cry from our 2000-2010 creampuff defense.

This guy reminds me alot of Rodman. Think Rodman was a little taller but not a big early on. they both have good hops and quickness. Neither have great offensive games and rodman focused on rebounding over shot blocking, but they appear to have similar athletic abilitys.

I don't have anything against the guy but I can pull down 5 boards a game in that league without a proper stretching routine.

It's hard work making something this pretty look like a chump

8P50pnKJcohc8abwSQm2JLEvo1_500.jpg

The first two blocks in the clip were nothing short of ****ing amazing. If I saw those in an Jazz game I would completely lose my cool

If I knew this guy was getting playing time, I think I'd pay to see him play defense.

For those that don't know how incredibly cheap I am, I hope you never find out.

He looks like he has great potential and just as importantly, a nasty attitude on the court

That being said I would hate to see the #3 pick on him and he probably won't be around at #12. If he is I'd hope the Jazz would pick him up.

So I'm a little late to the party and this has nothing to do with Bismack, but was I the only one yelling at the players to not run into the Kia Motors and Orange signs under the baskets?

Watching that highlight reel was like watching me dominate my kids on the 8 foot hoop out front.

This has never happened. C'mon. A little intellectual honesty goes a long way.

i think he can be a good backup player but he doesnt have a very high ceiling

Thanks.

I’ve been on the Biyombo bandwagon, kind of hoping that the hype that he could turn into be Ben Wallace is true. After watching these, I’m really doubting.

The biggest disappointment I have is athleticism. Biyombo is a very good athlete, but I don’t see Ben Wallace. The best example I can think of is the difference between Lebron James and Chris Bosh. Lebron (and Wallace) appear to be to have the balance and makeup of a 6’ running back. Bosh (and Biyombo) appear to have very good athleticism for tall men. Biyombo seems to run like Bosh and seems to be easily pushed off his spots and lose his balance occasionally like Bosh.

Without offensive skills, he simply looks like a good shot blocker with a good motor. Maybe a decent, but not great rebounder. But I didn’t see much difference between him and D’or Fischer (a good shot blocker with little offensive game), who he spent a lot of time matched up against in the video (and their stats aren’t much different this year either). Fischer’s 11 years older, so development is really the only hope I see for Biyombo (which is why his true age is so important). But right now he’s really not ready to have an impact in the NBA. He’ll block some shots, but I don’t see a great individual defender. Unlike Wallace, he’ll get pushed around and he depends too much on his shotblocking. He has some good tools (length is indeed great, he has good feet, and can really recover well), but it will take some time, and I just don’t know whether he has any more upside than a good shotblocker off the bench.

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t take him at 12, or if the right offer came along somewhere between 5 & 11 (I don’t have much confidence in anyone else in this draft), but watching these clips make me think he’s a much bigger risk than I had I had imagined before.