What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Y'all acted like Niang wasnt a threat from 3 tho. It was just a wild opinion to have.
It can simultaneously true that he’s a good shooter and that he’s not been in the opponent’s scouting report/a priority/a “threat”, at least in part because he couldn’t put up many shots.

Nuance is a thing, as is things changing too! Amazing.

It can simultaneously true that he’s a good shooter and that he’s not been in the opponent’s scouting report/a priority/a “threat”, at least in part because he couldn’t put up many shots.

Nuance is a thing, as is things changing too! Amazing.
Nothing's changed. Niang was a really good shooter and continues to be. He's just having a hot streak currently. He is definitely on team's scouting report as a guy you don't want to leave open.

Nothing's changed. Niang was a really good shooter and continues to be. He's just having a hot streak currently. He is definitely on team's scouting report as a guy you don't want to leave open.
I’m sure he is now, yes.

And yes, a number of things have clearly, demonstrably changed. Things changing doesn’t necessarily undermine your point. Take a breath.

Last edited:
Is there a financial reason why? Or is it just you don't think the Jazz would go that route?
I don’t believe anyone has the cap space, but if one did, we’d be sending an asset to dump Ed, they wouldn’t be sending an asset.

Reactions: SCS
Exaggerated. His +/- was (and remains) brutal. Should not be guarding 3s which he was doing, also.
The whole bench was brutal on +/-. Niang was making the right reads on defense, but the unit couldn’t guard together to save its life. He isn’t a great one-on-one defender, but he’s playable and doesn’t foul. Now that he’s playing with a unit that is finding him at his spots and playing some defense, his value is revealed. And obvious.

Someone tell me why the Jazz couldn’t or shouldn’t go after Willy Hernangomez? He ain’t sexy but he looks like a good player to me. He’s obviously not preferable to Baynes or others we’ve had conversations about but it looks like he fits the bill to me (productive albeit in limited minutes, reasonably experienced, not scared to shoot open 3s). Could trade TB straight across (I have a tough time seeing TB as playable in the playoffs).

Last edited:
Someone tell me why the Jazz couldn’t or shouldn’t go after Willy Hernangomez? He ain’t sexy but he looks like a good player to me. He’s obviously not preferable to Baynes or others we’ve had conversations about but it looks like he fits the bill to me (productive albeit in limited minutes, reasonably experienced, not scared to shoot open 3s). Could trade TB straight across (I have a tough time seeing as a playable in the playoffs).
He’s got some interesting per 36 numbers. Color me intrigued.

Someone tell me why the Jazz couldn’t or shouldn’t go after Willy Hernangomez? He ain’t sexy but he looks like a good player to me. He’s obviously not preferable to Baynes or others we’ve had conversations about but it looks like he fits the bill to me (productive albeit in limited minutes, reasonably experienced, not scared to shoot open 3s). Could trade TB straight across (I have a tough time seeing TB as playable in the playoffs).
I got to the part where you said he wasn’t sexy and I stopped reading... he sexy AF.

Ok.. who’s going to start the Willy Hernangomez thread? I think we need a rule that anyone we play who looks somewhat passable gets a thread. He looks good in the pick and roll.

@Jazzta give us the low down.

Ok.. who’s going to start the Willy Hernangomez thread? I think we need a rule that anyone we play who looks somewhat passable gets a thread. He looks good in the pick and roll.

@Jazzta give us the low down.
I think he’s a somewhat lateral move to TB honestly... there is a chance that Bradley could be solid on defense... like there are some tools there, but the mental portion of the game may not get there. I think Willy is better in the pick and roll and may be able to shoot a little but he’s a bad defender and I think he will always be bad.

TB has started to stay vertical and has bothered some shots but he’s getting there late... I think he moves well enough he just has to see it earlier.

Portland is all of a sudden super thin at the 5 - Collins, Skal and of course Nurkic are all out long term.

Davis (who is a Stotts favorite) for Mario Hezonja.

Mario's numbers are **** but I'm convinced he'd be productive in the right system. And if I remember correctly Utah's FO had their eye on him in the past.

Portland is all of a sudden super thin at the 5 - Collins, Skal and of course Nurkic are all out long term.

Mario's numbers are **** but I'm convinced he'd be productive in the right system. And if I remember correctly Utah's FO had their eye on him in the past.
I’d do it just to get Ed off the books... but Mario sucks and I don’t think it’s the system... I think it’s because he’s bad at basketball.

I don’t think we’d want anyone from Portland... but I think it’d be a good three team swap because that could be a good landing spot for Davis. I wonder what other team may have a small salary guy we’d want who may want something from Portland.

just get a pick. we just want Ed's salary out of the equation

When he was a FA I was in favor of DL going after him. Given his age I thought he would keep developing. It appears he can't consistently hit the NBA three though.

There are a couple places Ed makes some sense... Portland and Chicago... the salary matching and players involved are kind of tricky.

Chicago lost Wendell carter for 6 weeks... they might need some help... they have Kornett Gafford and Young. Ryan A would match salary wise and I like him... we have a lot of guards though.

Portland could send Tolliver and Trent... maybe we route them to another team for a second and an expiring... IDK but the longer he sits I think his trade value goes down... would want him off the books even if we don’t get something.

I don’t think we’d want anyone from Portland... but I think it’d be a good three team swap because that could be a good landing spot for Davis. I wonder what other team may have a small salary guy we’d want who may want something from Portland.
This is the right idea. ^

I wouldn’t really want anybody on Portland’s roster, but there could be another target elsewhere that could fit in.

Damian Lillard LOVES Ed Davis. I could see him ending up there as a very real possibility.