What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Sam Amick has an article in The Athletic "NBA Trade Big Board: 16(ish) players who could move before the deadline"

1. Drummond available. ATL could've had him if they included a 1st rounder. Boston and Dallas also looking for a big.
2. Chatter from Orlando that Aaron Gordon is available
3. Covington could be available with the Lakers being interested. Teague on an expiring also drawing interest
4. Marcus Morris drawing interest from several playoff teams
5. Kuzma is "no longer a firm part of their plans.
6. Evan Fournier will likely opt out. Might be too expensive for Orlando so they could move him to get something for him now.
7. Bogdan Bogdanovic. "It will take a lot to land him, but they might be more willing to listen if the postseason seems out of reach early next month."
8. Gallinari. Thunder could either go for the playoffs or wheel and deal if the price is right on Schroder, Adams, Gallo, CP3
9. Jrue Holliday. Griffin claims he's not trading him. Pels might actually look to add a vet and go for the playoffs with Zion
10. Kevin Love. Teams apprehensive to pay him 3yr/90mil after this season. Blazers are the name that comes up most often
11. DeRozan. Spurs listening to offers. Teams reluctant to trade for him since he could opt out and move on after this season
12. LaMarcus Aldridge. More moveable than DeRozan since he has one year left.
13. Kyle Lowry. " It might sound obvious, but it all depends on how badly said suitor might want him. And with free-agent-to-be Fred VanVleet seen by so many as the Raptors’ point guard of the future, uncertainty remains here."
14. Iguodala. "The Grizzlies, who are clearly comfortable with Iguodala staying away from the team while earning his $17 million this season, have been stubbornly asking for a first-rounder in any such deal for quite some time now. If they don’t trade him by the deadline and agree to a buyout, then he’s widely expected to make his way to either the Lakers, Clippers or Rockets. But that’s still a major 'if.'"
15. D'Angelo Russell. "A source with knowledge of the Warriors’ thinking deems it “unlikely” that he will be moved. And for those Magic fans who have been hoping for a Gordon-for-Russell swap, another source with knowledge of the Warriors’ dealings offered a hard “no” when asked specifically about that scenario."
16. Davis Bertans. Washington doesn't want to move him. "So, why is this still a thing? Because Bertans’ breakout as one of the league’s most prolific shooters is the kind of thing that could lead to the Wizards getting a deal they can’t refuse." Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta, the Lakers, Boston and Denver have all shown interest in Bertans.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the Jazz would discuss LMA and DeRozan with the Spurs, but I don't think either team would make the move.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the Jazz would discuss LMA and DeRozan with the Spurs, but I don't think either team would make the move.

How would that square with Snyder’s offense of spacing and shooting? LaMarcus doesn’t help fill the void Favors left and neither helps with 3 pt. shooting

How would you match either salary?

They'd discuss Conley and a protected pick probably. LMA or DD + Mills or Poeltl. I don't think either team would pull the trigger. The thinking would be to keep the ball in Mitchell and Ingles' hands more. Another debate would be how much LMA can play next to Gobert in a big lineup.

Spurs are probably going to lose DeRozan in free agency and they'll pivot to play their young guys.

agreed.

That Conley trade really plundered most of our tradeable assets.

As much as I haven’t been a fan of him or his play, he is in one of the top two five-man rotations in the entire NBA with at least 200 minutes this season.

That has to count for something.

If Quin can figure out the rotations once Mike comes back, we could end up perhaps scarier than we even realize.

Hypothetically getting Conley back should push Royce to the second unit and so the bench defense should improve. I think Tony can be effective on defense in time, but right now he fouls too much... and they are soft Rodney Hood/ Trey Lyles fouls that get the other team And 1s.

Locke talked about what happens when you integrate Mike back in with the starters and it kinda has me worried a bit. Swapping Royce for Mike hurts our rebounding and how much better can that unit get offensively. DM, Joe, Bojan is enough scoring/creation and pretty balanced... does that balance go sideways with Mike? Will he be as efficient as those guys? Will the defense slide?

CP is a better defender, rebounder, and can guard bigger players... on offense he's a savant. I think he could anchor second units offensively by himself. The narrative last year about him being washed was unfair... he wasn't healthy then he found his rhythm. D'Antoni ended up ramping his minutes up the prior year in the playoffs and then he pulled his hamstring... his play didn't drop way off... those injuries weren't career threatening. I realize he's small, but the guys that aged well were the high end guys that were also super smart like Nash and Stockton... I could see CP fitting that mold.

The $44M in two years is an issue... but it'd be a one year luxury tax burden and the guy might still be playing at a high level. We don't need 36 minutes a night out of the guy... can keep him on the Stockton 28 minute plan and extend his career. I think he'd fit better than Mike and is a pretty clear upgrade talent wise. He ran lob city for hells sake. The issues are the money and the strong, potentially toxic personality.
And having to watch that face every game. Seriously the whinny *** faces he makes drive me crazy. That said, I'd get over it. He looks like an upgrade to Conley to me.

As much as I haven’t been a fan of him or his play, he is in one of the top two five-man rotations in the entire NBA with at least 200 minutes this season.

That has to count for something.

If Quin can figure out the rotations once Mike comes back, we could end up perhaps scarier than we even realize.

This is a guard dominated league. A mobile guard like Mike who can hit 3s is dangerous, even if he never really runs the offense. That said, $32M is a lot to pay for a floor-spacing guard.

When the hell is SAS gonna hit reset? I don’t like to see that franchise withering into the mediocre middle of the West.
If they can get draft capital for DD and LMA, they need to do it ASAP.

This is a guard dominated league. A mobile guard like Mike who can hit 3s is dangerous, even if he never really runs the offense. That said, $32M is a lot to pay for a floor-spacing guard.

How floor spacing is he really? Are we gonna get 32.5% or 37.5%? But in general, I agree. Once we bring him back, we have a legit seven players. Quote legit.

Ed Davis and a 2nd or two for one more would be magical.

When the hell is SAS gonna hit reset? I don’t like to see that franchise withering into the mediocre middle of the West.
If they can get draft capital for DD and LMA, they need to do it ASAP.

After Pop retires. Until then they'll keep trying to be competitive.

How floor spacing is he really? Are we gonna get 32.5% or 37.5%? But in general, I agree. Once we bring him back, we have a legit seven players. Quote legit.

Ed Davis and a 2nd or two for one more would be magical.

I'd like to see Brantley play along with our varsity players and play in games that matter. He's coasting a bit on the Stars right now.

They'd discuss Conley and a protected pick probably. LMA or DD + Mills or Poeltl. I don't think either team would pull the trigger. The thinking would be to keep the ball in Mitchell and Ingles' hands more. Another debate would be how much LMA can play next to Gobert in a big lineup.

Spurs are probably going to lose DeRozan in free agency and they'll pivot to play their young guys.
If we were offered Conley for LMA and even if the pick went from San Antonio to us, I still wouldn’t do that. Playing LMA at the 4 may even be worse than playing Conley at the 4.

a guy who's never made more than 3 threes in a game is supposed to be a "threat" to other teams? by comparison, Joe has 47 games in which he made 4 threes or more, DM has 40. Heck, even Bricky Ricky has 12 games.

And don't use PT as an excuse either, when we played LAC in the last regular season game, Niang was given the green light to fire but only hit 2 of 6 from deep to go along with 42% overall shooting. efficiency means nothing when you don't have the volume to back it up(and vice versa), and that's exactly the case with Niang. opponents or fans will not respect you as a shooter until you can prove that you can shoot at a good efficiency AND high volume.
lol