What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

I'm basically opposed to sweeping changes. We have great chemistry AND we've been winning. The old adage is "if it ain't broke why fix it?". I think it's crazy to consider trading guys that are being productive in our system for that reason. Still, if there's a bargain out there that gives us options and we don't give up anything for him, why the hell not. For this reason I propose sending N.W.G to OKC for Mike Muscala. Muscala is a 6'10"stretch 4/5 that is having a brutal year but has pretty good stats career wise such as .458 FG%, 355 3%, 840 FT%. They're loaded with bigs and wings but don't have any pgs other than Paul and Shroder. For this reason I think it's feasible and win win. Trade works in NBA Trade Machine.

I think we’ll feel differently in 3-4 weeks when it’s evident we need help at the 4.

My bet is we make no further roster moves. Maybe something very minor, but in no way any kind of splash. Just don't see it happening.

I think we’ll feel differently in 3-4 weeks when it’s evident we need help at the 4.
I don't think the FO will actually do anything to change that position. They need to, but they won't.

I don't think the FO will actually do anything to change that position. They need to, but they won't.

We have one more roster move... either a buyout guy or a backup center trade. I think they know there is a whole and that Niang and TB may not be useable in the playoffs.

There will be a handful of buyout guys this year. Marvin Williams being one of the biggest potential candidates... there just aren’t enough matching salaries to hope to get a pick for some of those guys. The Jazz media guys have been saying we are a buyout destination since beginning of the year... so I think the front office is kinda in on that narrative.

Maybe I’ll do some homework and list out potential buyout guys in another thread.

John Henson
Tristan Thompson
Marvin Williams
Iggy
Ariza

Those are ones that come off the top of my head.

My bet is we make no further roster moves. Maybe something very minor, but in no way any kind of splash. Just don't see it happening.

Ive been meaning to post the same. I think you’re looking at a buyout guy who likely is there for just some worst case of the worst case scenario. Beyond, I think this is the team.

Pretty terrifying from the 4/5 spot in the playoffs though, if it plays out that way.

We have one more roster move... either a buyout guy or a backup center trade. I think they know there is a whole and that Niang and TB may not be useable in the playoffs.

There will be a handful of buyout guys this year. Marvin Williams being one of the biggest potential candidates... there just aren’t enough matching salaries to hope to get a pick for some of those guys. The Jazz media guys have been saying we are a buyout destination since beginning of the year... so I think the front office is kinda in on that narrative.

Maybe I’ll do some homework and list out potential buyout guys in another thread.

John Henson
Tristan Thompson
Marvin Williams
Iggy
Ariza

Those are ones that come off the top of my head.
Ariza?

Yeah... I think he could get bought out in Portland. He'd have to give some money back, but they are very budget conscious since Paul Allen died. Think the sister ends up selling the team at some point.

Yeah... I think he could get bought out in Portland. He'd have to give some money back, but they are very budget conscious since Paul Allen died. Think the sister ends up selling the team at some point.
I didn't really look into their trade that much, but I assumed they were trying to land Ariza to make up for the defense they lost last summer.

But I'd love to have Ariza in Niang's spot. And Bogut or Olynyk in Bradley's. We could be nasty.

I didn't really look into their trade that much, but I assumed they were trying to land Ariza to make up for the defense they lost last summer.
They saved $12M in tax alone... I think a couple million in salary as well... it was 95% about the $$$$. Low key most of their moves have been.

I think John Henson might be solid too. He's 29 and just super overpaid and now he's in basketball purgatory in Cleveland. Might handle the defensive responsibilities better than our current backup guys without screwing up the entire offense like Davis did.

Landing Marvin after being bought out would be great as well. There will be serious competition for him, but we'd have more minutes available than most teams... except maybe Houston.

Is Trevor Ariza washed or was he simply disinterested playing on bad teams the last few years?

I kinda feel like its both. His last few years in Houston weren't very good tbh.

Ive been meaning to post the same. I think you’re looking at a buyout guy who likely is there for just some worst case of the worst case scenario. Beyond, I think this is the team.

Pretty terrifying from the 4/5 spot in the playoffs though, if it plays out that way.
Agreed. That's going to be an Achilles heel for sure. Hope no one else has the arrow.

One thing I've found frustrating is that when Juwan Morgan gets his garbage time minutes it is TB and Niang putting up most of the shots... Morgan is very clearly told to hang out in the corner... itd be cool to see him being the roll man a few times when garbage time rolls around. I'm still convinced he could be part of the solution at one of the positions.

Is Trevor Ariza washed or was he simply disinterested playing on bad teams the last few years?

I kinda feel like its both. His last few years in Houston weren't very good tbh.
I don't know, but really feel we shouldn't be comparing him to 2015-2017 Ariza but to 2020 Niang.

For the record, I'd rather have Ariza than Marvin. But is there any reason Ariza wouldn't just go to Houston for his third stint?

I think it is a little of both. I think in 12-18 minutes he could give you something. He is a vet and is allowed to tackle people (based on how he used to defend Gordon and DM). He'd be useful in the playoffs... specifically against the LA teams.

For the record, I'd rather have Ariza than Marvin. But is there any reason Ariza wouldn't just go to Houston?

Because they are trying to avoid the luxury tax and likely wouldn't pay him. I think the Lakers and Clippers would get the first crack at him. I think Marvin we'd have a chance.

There will also be a couple guys that are traded on expirings that get bought out... not sure who they will be though.

Because they are trying to avoid the luxury tax and likely wouldn't pay him. I think the Lakers and Clippers would get the first crack at him. I think Marvin we'd have a chance.
I’ve also wondered if Ariza was “the wing” that Tony Jones mentioned being a signing if we got Mirotic. Perhaps it doesn’t make sense because how much money Sacramento gave him, but I know his name was speculated by some.