What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

For those curious about Vonleh:

From canishoopus.com's midseason grade write-up today:

"Despite wildly inconsistent minutes and a box score production that is far from flashy, Noah Vonleh has been solid when given the chance this season. He isn’t the 3-point jacking, shot-hunting big man that made a mini-breakthrough for the New York Knicks last season, but he is the kind of player who often makes the team better when he is on the floor. Offensively, he has struggled to make much of an impact outside of the odd bully-ball post-up or putback layup. He is averaging 4.4 points per game, hitting 54.7 percent of his field goals. Although, his work defensively and on the glass has been a breath of fresh air for a team that has struggled to string together consistency in those areas. Only Gorgui Dieng and Robert Covington currently hold a higher D-PIPM (+0.47) than Vonleh and only Karl-Anthony Towns corrals more boards per 36 minutes (12) than him. He has excelled in David Vanterpool’s drop scheme pick-and-roll coverage, using his long arms and sound positioning to deter would-be scorers. Overall, he has been a good find. But, without consistent minutes, Vonleh fails to reach a higher mark."

Also, in trying to gauge what the media/fan buzz around Vonleh is with the Wolves, including his name in possible trades, I can report the following:
  • Very little buzz one way or the other. Fans seem to neither love nor hate him, nor care too much whether he plays or doesn't.
  • Most generally regard him as competent, but certainly not a ceiling-raiser.
  • A few think he's not good enough to be an NBA player.
  • He received a bit of flack recently after apparently being destroyed by Sabonis.
  • A few have mentioned trading him as a possible way to gain an asset. But there's very little sense that the Wolves are or ought to be aggressively looking to find something for him. (My interpretation: Jazz would be in a position of weakness in the trade negotiation, if they are interested, as likely the more motivated/desperate partner).
  • Wolves fans are much more interested in big trades (including the DLo dream). I think they'd be far more excited about trading Vonleh as part of something bigger rather than just for some small return back. (Thus, imo, even if the Jazz want him, nothing is likely to happen until the deadline, after the Wolves have exhausted other options.)

"Despite wildly inconsistent minutes and a box score production that is far from flashy, Noah Vonleh has been solid when given the chance this season. He isn’t the 3-point jacking, shot-hunting big man that made a mini-breakthrough for the New York Knicks last season, but he is the kind of player who often makes the team better when he is on the floor. Offensively, he has struggled to make much of an impact outside of the odd bully-ball post-up or putback layup. He is averaging 4.4 points per game, hitting 54.7 percent of his field goals. Although, his work defensively and on the glass has been a breath of fresh air for a team that has struggled to string together consistency in those areas. Only Gorgui Dieng and Robert Covington currently hold a higher D-PIPM (+0.47) than Vonleh and only Karl-Anthony Towns corrals more boards per 36 minutes (12) than him. He has excelled in David Vanterpool’s drop scheme pick-and-roll coverage, using his long arms and sound positioning to deter would-be scorers. Overall, he has been a good find. But, without consistent minutes, Vonleh fails to reach a higher mark."

Also, in trying to gauge what the media/fan buzz around Vonleh is with the Wolves, including his name in possible trades, I can report the following:
  • Very little buzz one way or the other. Fans seem to neither love nor hate him, nor care too much whether he plays or doesn't.
  • He received a bit of flack recently after apparently being destroyed by Sabonis.
  • A few have mentioned trading him as a possible way to gain an asset. But there's very little sense that the Wolves are or ought to be aggressively looking to find something for him. (My interpretation: Jazz would be in a position of weakness in the trade negotiation, if they are interested, as likely the more motivated/desperate partner).
  • Wolves fans are much more interested in big trades (including the DLo dream). I think they'd be far more excited about trading Vonleh as part of something bigger rather than just for some small return back. (Thus, imo, even if the Jazz want him, nothing is likely to happen until the deadline, after the Wolves have exhausted other options.)
I’m all in, but Vonleh is in no way having an impact on any big trade for them. Hope our FO likes him.

Probably not be assigned to the guy who would hit the game winner.
Exactly. He wouldn’t have that assignment here, either. And the Kings may not be a great team, but he’s asked to take the assignment of one of their biggest threats to close it out. Would they give Niang that job if he were on Sacramento?

Sounds like a good fit. I just question whether or not he's a good enough shooter to be a 5 out option. I'm convinced that is what the Jazz are going to look for.

Exactly. He wouldn’t have that assignment here, either. And the Kings may not be a great team, but he’s asked to take the assignment of one of their biggest threats to close it out. Would they give Niang that job if he were on Sacramento?
I would like to think they wouldn't give that job to Niang but they shouldn't have given it to Ariza either. He is washed. If he isn't giving you his Houston defense which he isn't and all his offensive production is sitting in a corner and shooting %35, you don't play him over Niang.

Sounds like a good fit. I just question whether or not he's a good enough shooter to be a 5 out option. I'm convinced that is what the Jazz are going to look for.
Miles better than Favors, Davis, or Bradley. Someone would have to look and see what he shoots on open catch and shoot.

Reactions: SCS
That might be what the jazz are hoping for, but they’d better settle on an option like this if they don’t succeed.

Reactions: SCS
Any Ariza discussion should end with this clip.

He got smoked by a hard screen... I mean he was going hard at least... Ariza would have a better chance surviving spot minutes in the playoffs than Niang.

Hmm, surprised James Johnson can still play a bit, not easy to work financially, but I'm sure Miami is trying to save money. I'd like his fit a few years back at least.

Jazz are going to overpay for a backup big at the trade deadline. Davis plus a protected first plus a prospect. They are tasting a title shot and know this piece is vital.

Imo I feel that Baynes is the missing link. The way he and joe played together on the Aussie team and the way he can shoot the three and protect the rim make me think if we can get him we should.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

The Jazz still have a couple of extra second rounders don't they? I think they'd throw those in a package for Baynes if a deal was possible.

Well of course it that happens in three or four weeks, it'll be too late to do anything about it anyway.

It’s blatantly obvious now.

Since Clarkson has come (12 games), Niang is a grand total of +4. That’s an average of +0.3 per game despite averaging a large margin of victory during that stint.

Likewise, he’s a -37 over our recent 16-2 stretch or about -2.0 a game.

In other words, the dude’s a negative on the court even when we’re winning like crazy.

It’s blatantly obvious now.

Since Clarkson has come (12 games), Niang is a grand total of +4. That’s an average of +0.3 per game despite averaging a large margin of victory during that stint.

Likewise, he’s a -37 over our recent 16-2 stretch or about -2.0 a game.

In other words, the dude’s a negative on the court even when we’re winning like crazy.

Wow that's some crazy math!!! I mean, if you say so. I just look at wins and losses, and it's a lot easier to decipher that we've gone what, 10 and 1 since Green left and Niang took his minutes. (And yeah, of course, Clarkson factors heavily into that as well).