What's new

2021 Free Agency

You, and others, have been talking like he's a Bogey replacement, not a guard.

And yes, if your're rebounding at a lower rate than Mike Conley, that's not even good for a guard.
I think Royce is a good rebounder, and if he wasn't stuck guarding the opposing team's best player every possession, he would rebound even more. If Smart was in more of a defending role and less of an "on the ball" role, I think he could improve his rebounding.

You're right that the regular season is an issue with size, etc. For a playoff rotation though, teams would have fits scoring on Conley, Don, Smart, Royce and Rudy.

Rudy is just so incredibly unique that I don't know if we have to put together a stereotypical roster.

Keep an eye on tyler Dorsey from tel Aviv. He seems like the Jazz type of signing.
How so? Jazz seem to not really have a place for him (unless they move Clarkson, who Dorsey seems to most approximate as a player).

I think Jock Landale would be good at the 4/5. I mean really good. And he would be easy to sign. He said he is dying to get into the NBA the first chance he can get.

TJ's latest:

- The Jazz are expected to finalize a three-year deal for all-star point guard Mike Conley to return to the franchise, once teams can officially have conversations with players, league sources tell The Athletic.

- As for those who were in the rotation last season, league sources indicate that it’s highly unlikely that Georges Niang will return to the team. Niang, who was a valuable role player off the bench for Utah last season, will be an unrestricted free agent. He is expected to garner significant interest on the market, according to sources.

- Otto Porter Jr. and Rudy Gay are two players the Jazz hold interest in. But those names also come with caveats. Gay is thought to be leaning toward the Los Angeles Lakers. Porter is thought to be leaning to the Brooklyn Nets. In free agency, anything can happen. So, perhaps the Jazz can get one of them. But Gay and Porter are valuable role players on title-type teams. They are both versatile offensively, and they are the kind of long and athletic forwards that every team covets. So, competition for both will be steep.

Yall are pretty crazy when talking about Gay... go ahead and look at his stats... then ask yourself do we need a guy that can play PF and stretch the floor and what are the best options for a smallball 5 in the playoffs. Multiple guys pop up and play small ball 5 and everyone is like "who knew?". He's next in a line of guys that made the shift and people will be shocked.
I loved Gay coming all the way back when he was drafted. I used the work in the Louisville athletic department when they entered the Big East and when UCONN played UofL I remember him being the best player out there; he looked like he’d be versatile.
I think he would fit perfectly with us, especially because he has improved his range. I just don’t know how we can get him.

Rudy is just so incredibly unique that I don't know if we have to put together a stereotypical roster.
That opens up another issue with the roster built with Smart - what do we do when he sits? Even Favors as a stop gap is gone.
Sure, the perimeter d is better, but the size inside issue is.

Don't get me wrong btw, I'd absolutely love to get Smart, but I'm not sure it's in the cards as it stands today. It would basically
take trading Bogie for a big, and/or signing another big, and probably losing Clarkson or Conley as well. Again, if you can't guarantee he'll
start, he will walk at the end of the year.

- Otto Porter Jr. and Rudy Gay are two players the Jazz hold interest in. But those names also come with caveats. Gay is thought to be leaning toward the Los Angeles Lakers. Porter is thought to be leaning to the Brooklyn Nets. In free agency, anything can happen. So, perhaps the Jazz can get one of them. But Gay and Porter are valuable role players on title-type teams. They are both versatile offensively, and they are the kind of long and athletic forwards that every team covets. So, competition for both will be steep.

I've never thought Gay would be a great fit, but that OPJ would. I think to keep him away from the Nets, you'd have to overpay, if you even can.
You could also guarantee he'd play more here. I think there's a decent shot.

But if and Gay are the two main targets, ain't gonna lie, that's disappointing.

That opens up another issue with the roster built with Smart - what do we do when he sits? Even Favors as a stop gap is gone.
Sure, the perimeter d is better, but the size inside issue is.

Don't get me wrong btw, I'd absolutely love to get Smart, but I'm not sure it's in the cards as it stands today. It would basically
take trading Bogie for a big, and/or signing another big, and probably losing Clarkson or Conley as well. Again, if you can't guarantee he'll
start, he will walk at the end of the year.
The Favors point is why I was so opposed to trading him away in the first place. Especially using an asset to do so. Can we rely on Doke? I like the kid, but can we trust him? Like we would Favors? Probably not.

As I see it, we have two glaring holes in our team -

#1 perimeter defense
#2 who do we play at C against small ball playoff teams?

The Favors point is why I was so opposed to trading him away in the first place. Especially using an asset to do so. Can we rely on Doke? I like the kid, but can we trust him? Like we would Favors? Probably not.

#1 perimeter defense
co-sign all of the above. probably the best two ways to stop having Rudy be the entire defense.

#1 perimeter defense
#2 OPJ

TJ's latest:

- The Jazz are expected to finalize a three-year deal for all-star point guard Mike Conley to return to the franchise, once teams can officially have conversations with players, league sources tell The Athletic.

- As for those who were in the rotation last season, league sources indicate that it’s highly unlikely that Georges Niang will return to the team. Niang, who was a valuable role player off the bench for Utah last season, will be an unrestricted free agent. He is expected to garner significant interest on the market, according to sources.

For anyone that knows, doesnt Brooklyn only have the TPME as well? They plan on signing Blake and OPJ with just that? One gets min and the other gets TPME?

For anyone that knows, doesnt Brooklyn only have the TPME as well? They plan on signing Blake and OPJ with just that? One gets min and the other gets TPME?
OPJ with the TPME and Blake Griffin has a lifetime supply of Kias so he's good.

I've never thought Gay would be a great fit, but that OPJ would. I think to keep him away from the Nets, you'd have to overpay, if you even can.
You could also guarantee he'd play more here. I think there's a decent shot.

But if and Gay are the two main targets, ain't gonna lie, that's disappointing.

How much of this is slight overreacting? That is, if Mike and Don were both healthy, would they have been able to stay in front of Clippers players a lot better as well as rotate and not force Gobert into ****** situations every defensive possession?

I feel like if we can just have those guys healthy (have Don commit more on that end of the court) and add one of these wings (Batum, Gay, or Otto, we’re a vastly different team. Especially knowing we added Butler as well.

How much of this is slight overreacting? That is, if Mike and Don were both healthy, would they have been able to stay in front of Clippers players a lot better as well as rotate and not force Gobert into ****** situations every defensive possession?

I feel like if we can just have those guys healthy (have Don commit more on that end of the court) and add one of these wings (Batum, Gay, or Otto, we’re a vastly different team. Especially knowing we added Butler as well.

Not sure what the **** I was doing with parentheses here.

It's too bad we didn't get to see much of Ilya... It would be interesting to see what struggles the team had with him in the lineup. I guess we wont know and I doubt he would want to come back.

But yeah, ending games with Mike-a committed Don on defense-Royce-Batum-Gobert would be a fantastic combo of offense and defense.