What's new

2021 Free Agency

Everyone just take a seat for a second… I need to tell you all something.

The Jazz cannot accept a player who is signed and traded without dumping a BIG contract first… so please dream accordingly. They will be over the apron and this can’t accept a player in a sign and trade deal.

They can use the taxpayer MLE to sign someone… or they can use the trade exception to take someone who is already under contract. That player needs to make less than 9.2M

Okay thanks everyone.
Do you think we could get OPJ with our S&T Favors exception and then go use the TPMLE on Oladipo?

Jazz could try to get Portis or Markkanen on a sign-and-trade depending on what they're willing to give up. Portis could get Joe Ingles money. He'll at least get Royce O'Neale money. Jazz are maneuvering under the LT at the moment and passed on Juwan Morgan's QO to maintain a little flexibility.

Last edited:
I think because he is still really good at basketball. I also think people saw what Chris Paul did this year with the Suns and they think they can duplicate it.
I can understand a one year deal at $30 million, but there’s a zero percent chance he’s a $30 million dollar player at 39 years old.

So again, for the record, because of the team's salary situation they almost certainly cannot receive a player via sign and trade, regardless of that player's salary. . There is virtually no way the Jazz can do that at this point. If you receive a player via sign and trade, you are hard capped. With the Jazz (reportedly) re-signing Conley for $20 we are over the tax apron already.

The only free agents we should be talking about are those that might sign for 5.9 million or less.

If we want to dream about using one of the trade exceptions, those must be for a player already under contract.

For for players like OPJ, Oladipo etc... the only way they are coming to the Jazz is if they accept the tax payer's MLE, which unfortunately many other teams will also be able to offer.

So again, for the record, because of the team's salary situation they almost certainly cannot receive a player via sign and trade, regardless of that player's salary. . There is virtually no way the Jazz can do that at this point. If you receive a player via sign and trade, you are hard capped. With the Jazz (reportedly) re-signing Conley for $20 we are over the tax apron already.

The only free agents we should be talking about are those that might sign for 5.9 million or less.

If we want to dream about using one of the trade exceptions, those must be for a player already under contract.

For for players like OPJ, Oladipo etc... the only way they are coming to the Jazz is if they accept the tax payer's MLE, which unfortunately many other teams will also be able to offer.

We could easily take someone back if we sent out one of Clarkson/Ingles/Bogey in the trade.

We could easily take someone back if we sent out one of Clarkson/Ingles/Bogey in the trade.
I’m pretty sure they’re planning to run it back with those guys. The biggest issue we have right now is no pick flexibility to consolidate contracts into a 3rd star if an opportunity arises.

Okay, can someone explain how this all works with the apron? I know how the cap and tax works, I don't get the apron.
I thought it was mostly a hard cap, but it would reduce the exceptions you could use, and you're locked in as a an apron team all year even if you cut salary.
Is that even close to how it works? Is it that if the MLE exception brings you over the apron, you can't use the TPE?
What does the apron do to the Bi-annual exception?

Last edited:
Ntilikina and Zach Collins are UFAs. I'd take Frank at the minimum for sure. I'm still intrigued by Collins for the minimum, but dude is made of glass and will probably keep breaking his foot.

Tony Jones also indicated that the Jazz have a target for the taxpayer's MLE, and if they don't use it then that means they didn't get their guy.

I certainly do not think we could "easily" take someone back, but my comment was mostly in response to suggestions of using the trade exception to take back a sign and trade player.

We currently have almost $122 million in salary committed to 9 players. If you add Conley and Butler you are likely pushing into $145 million range (depending on contract terms) for 11 players. The NBA requires you to carry 15 players (or they charge you an empty roster spot). In order to receive a player back in a sign and trade, the Jazz would need to be able to take on that player's salary, shed approximately 5 million dollars, and still fill out the rest of their roster while staying under the anticipated $140 million apron.

Okay, can someone explain how this all works with the apron? I know how the cap and tax works, I don't get the apron.
I thought it was mostly a hard cap, but it would reduce the exceptions you could use, and you're locked in as a an apron team all year even if you cut salary.
Is that even close to how it works? Is it that if the MLE exception brings you over the apron, you can't use the TPE?
What does the apron do to the Bi-annual exception?

Yes, that is close to how it works!

The apron is set a few million above the luxury tax. The apron and the "hard cap" are the same thing.

For many teams the apron is irrelevant. It only comes into play when a team that is over the salary cap acquires a free agent from another team using a mechanism other than a minimum contract (or the taxpayer MLE). The league was trying to prevent the scenarios of the "rich getting richer" by making it harder for teams that already had a lot of money in committed contracts to add more big-contract players.

So, if a team is over the cap and plans to acquire a player through either: sign-and-trade; using the full MLE (or any amount of the MLE greater than the taxpayer MLE), or the bi-annual exception, they become hard capped. This means that they must be under the apron at the conclusion of that transaction and remain under the apron for the rest of the year. Teams can use trade exceptions, re-sign their own players, and use up to the tax-payer MLE and avoid the apron all together. This does not prevent them from using a trade excpetion or making other moves, other than any move they make for the rest of year must keep them under that apron amount.

The Jazz were hard-capped all of last season because we used the MLE to sign Derrick Favors. In fact, almost half of the league was hard-capped last year. When you are a team that is just over the salary cap but still far under the apron being hard-capped doesn't matter so much because there are no realistic ways you'd get that much salary anyways. Where it becomes tricky/not doable is if the team is at/over the apron to begin with.

Yes, that is close to how it works!

The apron is set a few million above the luxury tax. The apron and the "hard cap" are the same thing.

For many teams the apron is irrelevant. It only comes into play when a team that is over the salary cap acquires a free agent from another team using a mechanism other than a minimum contract (or the taxpayer MLE). The league was trying to prevent the scenarios of the "rich getting richer" by making it harder for teams that already had a lot of money in committed contracts to add more big-contract players.

So, if a team is over the cap and plans to acquire a player through either: sign-and-trade; using the full MLE (or any amount of the MLE greater than the taxpayer MLE), or the bi-annual exception, they become hard capped. This means that they must be under the apron at the conclusion of that transaction and remain under the apron for the rest of the year. Teams can use trade exceptions, re-sign their own players, and use up to the tax-payer MLE and avoid the apron all together. This does not prevent them from using a trade excpetion or making other moves, other than any move they make for the rest of year must keep them under that apron amount.

The Jazz were hard-capped all of last season because we used the MLE to sign Derrick Favors. In fact, almost half of the league was hard-capped last year. When you are a team that is just over the salary cap but still far under the apron being hard-capped doesn't matter so much because there are no realistic ways you'd get that much salary anyways. Where it becomes tricky/not doable is if the team is at/over the apron to begin with.
Okay, that’s making more sense. We’re not far away from the apron so hence we only get the MLE or TPE. Bummer. Thanks!

We are like 500K away from the apron with Conley at 18.5M and Butler.

If we wanted to get someone via sign-and-trade we would have to move Bogey/Ingles/Clarkson and take back basically equivalent or less salary than whoever we send out. Then we wouldn’t be able to use the MLE.

We are like 500K away from the apron with Conley at 18.5M and Butler.

If we wanted to get someone via sign-and-trade we would have to move Bogey/Ingles/Clarkson and take back basically equivalent or less salary than whoever we send out. Then we wouldn’t be able to use the MLE.
Or the Jazz could just use their TPMLE?

Yeah, that should be priority #1 right now. My only thoughts is if someone like DeRozan wanted to come here we could make it happen.
Makes sense.

It’s frustrating now that the Jazz might benefit on the court from spending more, but it would also allow the LA teams, Warriors, etc. to do the same.