What's new

2021 Free Agency

I honestly did not know Miller made it back into the league after tearing his achilles, good for him. Not sure I believe in his 200 minutes though. I'd probably prefer to Hinkie special a guy from Europe or younger player. I'd have to watch him play defense.
He never left but was traded to OKC. You don't have to believe in 200 minutes... he has a lot of years of nba service. I don't believe the steal rate but the shooting is totally believable.

He never left but was traded to OKC. You don't have to believe in 200 minutes... he has a lot of years of nba service. I don't believe the steal rate but the shooting is totally believable.

He's played 200 in the last two years. Achilles is a serious injury and most players don't make it all the way back, so I don't feel great about falling back on his years of service. I have an ongoing gripe with labeling every 6'6 guy 3&D and Miller was someone I didn't think fit the defense part. It was a long time ago, so maybe I was thinking about Hill or another random wing from that team. Still, I'd like to watch him play defense and see how he's moving.

He's played 200 in the last two years. Achilles is a serious injury and most players don't make it all the way back, so I don't feel great about falling back on his years of service. I have an ongoing gripe with labeling every 6'6 guy 3&D and Miller was someone I didn't think fit the defense part. It was a long time ago, so maybe I was thinking about Hill or another random wing from that team. Still, I'd like to watch him play defense and see how he's moving.
Yup... took one year off though. His defense is just okay iirc. He's more 3 than D. He was a 6-7M player when healthy... getting him at the minimum is a bargain imo.

I did go back and watch his video from this year. Actually was doing stuff off motion and off the dribble I didn't remember. He looked just great. Maybe they are figuring out the achilles... cuz KD came back like a MFer.

Yup... took one year off though. His defense is just okay iirc. He's more 3 than D. He was a 6-7M player when healthy... getting him at the minimum is a bargain imo.

I did go back and watch his video from this year. Actually was doing stuff off motion and off the dribble I didn't remember. He looked just great. Maybe they are figuring out the achilles... cuz KD came back like a MFer.

KD is a different MFer lol.

It’s not a terrible idea in theory… you would know better than me since you watched him.

I may be unfairly remembering Miller. I thought the Pelicans with Jrue+AD should have been a great team but their wings were complete ***. So I have a bitterness against all those wings but maybe Miller was actually just fine.

He is 31 though so I’d prefer to bet on someone like Nader or a Nigel Hayes instead. I’d give Oni/Morgan another shot over him as well.

Roster spots are going to be tight if we use the MLE and max Niang like I hope.

So the Lakers look like they might be adding:

Melo
Iguodala
Dwight
Rudy Gay

And now...

He’s broken… ain’t scared of the Lakers… the addition of Westbrook was so bad… I’m more scared of they get Patty Mills, Wayne Ellington, JJ Reddick, etc. they have no shooters.

He’s broken… ain’t scared of the Lakers… the addition of Westbrook was so bad… I’m more scared of they get Patty Mills, Wayne Ellington, JJ Reddick, etc. they have no shooters.
I'm not scared of them either, but I could be in a hurry if they added the right people. Guys like Danny Green and the others you listed and the ones I listed this morning are still out there.

And although Westbrook and LeBron don't look like a great pairing at the end of a 4th quarter of a playoff game, it would be damn hard to defend 48 minutes a game of either Westbrook or LeBron along with AD.

I’d prefer Nader over Miller.
I would too… Nader likely gets more than Miller. I like Miller as a guy that you can for sure get at the minimum as an insurance option… honestly grab them both.

I would too… Nader likely gets more than Miller. I like Miller as a guy that you can for sure get at the minimum as an insurance option… honestly grab them both.

I’m curious who the Suns prioritize. They have a ton of free agents. They’ll re-sign Paul to a monster deal and I’m assuming Payne would be their second priority. After that, I don’t know. It could be Nader but I’d guess Diallo. And maybe Craig before Nader as well but I have no idea.

Edit: Diallo was on the Pistons.

So today is the big day right? The start of free agency. Are we keeping all signings and trades on this thread?

So today is the big day right? The start of free agency. Are we keeping all signings and trades on this thread?
Yes please. I’m headed on a house boat trip and will have limited service/inter webs time… need y’all to stay organized and keep me informed

Per Tony’s article, the TPMLE targets are Rudy Gay (good luck) and OPJ (maybe). He also indicates Gay is leaning towards the Lakers and OPJ is leaning towards the Nets. Indicates if we can’t get our “guy,” we may not use the TPMLE. All of which is to say that if you’re the Utah Jazz, you likely shouldn’t rely on free agency to get better.

Other nugget is that Niang is not expected to return to the Jazz.

So far, we are losing two rotation players (Fav and Niang) and replacing them with Butler (who I am excited about but doesn’t fill either of those roster holes) and probably the “sloppy seconds” of minimum guys.

Hard to imagine there’s not a trade in the works. How do you pitch that to Donovan as us getting any better or even staying as good as last year?

Last edited:
If we don’t sign anyone, I’ll be livid. Like wtf. Overpay a bit for Nader if you have to. Do some ****.

Per Tony’s article, the TPMLE targets are Rudy Gay (good luck) and OPJ (maybe). He also indicates Gay is leaning towards the Lakers and OPJ is leaning towards the Nets. Indicates if we can’t get our “guy,” we may not use the TPMLE. All of which is to say that if you’re the Utah Jazz, you likely shouldn’t rely on free agency to get better.

Other nugget is that Niang is not expected to return to the Jazz.

So far, we are losing two rotation players (Fav and Niang) and replacing them with Butler (who I am excited about but doesn’t fill either of those roster holes) and probably the “sloppy seconds” of minimum guys.

Hard to imagine there’s not a trade in the works. How do you pitch that to Donovan as us getting any better or even staying as good as last year?
You tell Donovan about the inevitable emergence of Elizah Huge.

If we don’t sign anyone, I’ll be livid. Like wtf. Overpay a bit for Nader if you have to. Do some ****.
I get that sentiment. I like Nader at or close to the minimum. One option might be dipping into the TPMLE just a teensy but to sign a minimum guy for minimum+ to ensure we get the best available minimum guy we want.

If I am honest, I don’t think we are really any better than last season replacing Fav and Niang’s minutes even with Porter/Gay + random minimum guy.

If we strike out on Porter/Gay, I’d be down with finding the best, most athletic 6’7 to 6’8 dudes playing in Australia, Israel, or Europe and just rolling with those guys at the minimum. Maybe there’s a hit there somewhere.

Last edited:
Nader isn’t good. What’s the infatuation with him?
He's solid... youngish... and might be had at the minimum. He likely won't come here because he is afraid of Udoka beheading him in practice.

I honestly always kinda thought we'd strike out with MLE... so I'm not surprised. I just hope we don't use it just to use it and blow it on someone not worth it.

Once you strike out with the MLE you can pivot to using the trade exception for something. You should be able to add at least one solid minimum guy.

Side note... I'm super disappointed we didn't steal Williams or Roby in the Favs deal. I mean we gave a future first that will certainly convey... what they gonna do with those guys plus the guys they add for salary dumps and the players they added in the draft. We should have dug in a little there. Williams would be an upgrade over Niang if his shooting is somewhat real.