What's new

2021 Free Agency

Per Tony’s article, the TPMLE targets are Rudy Gay (good luck) and OPJ (maybe). He also indicates Gay is leaning towards the Lakers and OPJ is leaning towards the Nets. Indicates if we can’t get our “guy,” we may not use the TPMLE. All of which is to say that if you’re the Utah Jazz, you likely shouldn’t rely on free agency to get better.

Other nugget is that Niang is not expected to return to the Jazz.

So far, we are losing two rotation players (Fav and Niang) and replacing them with Butler (who I am excited about but doesn’t fill either of those roster holes) and probably the “sloppy seconds” of minimum guys.

Hard to imagine there’s not a trade in the works. How do you pitch that to Donovan as us getting any better or even staying as good as last year?
Here is the good news... they are looking at the right guys imo... even if they will go elsewhere. That is better than last year.

I don’t think the Jazz would be letting Niang walk unless they had several ideas for how to replace his minutes.

Also, this is probably going to be less about steamrolling teams in November than it is about having answers in April.

Fans consistently underrate how hard it is for Utah to attract top UFA's at any price level. They are 80% of the time going to go to the bigger markets first. For one, they are bigger markets/more fun to live in (for the preference of the average NBA player) and also they typically are more star-filled teams, meaning they have more money tied up into the top 3 players, meaning more minutes for the vet signing.

Whoever signs with Utah is looking at 15-20 mpg vs LA/BRK you are probably getting 25 mpg.

I think it ends up being Justise Winslow, Torrey Craig (offer him the equivalent of BAE for two years... team option second year... use the rest to sign Butler to a 3 year deal instead of 2 year deal), Moe Harkless, or Bjelica.

If you can't get that done go get Juan Hernangomez with the trade exception... might even swipe an asset from them in the process for taking on some salary.

Thad Young is supposedly really available... I wonder if they'd do JC for Thad... there will be some stuff that shakes loose as people clear room for FAs and as teams miss on their primary targets.

You have two FA centers playing SL with one a lottery pick, Jarrell Martin is playing SL and is a first round pick of Memphis and put up numbers in Australia, John Mooney lead the Aussie League in rebounding has worked out for the Jazz and Landale who is buds with JIngles and is playing on the Aussie Olympic team and whoever might really shine in SL at the 2-3 position.

I don’t think the Jazz would be letting Niang walk unless they had several ideas for how to replace his minutes.

Also, this is probably going to be less about steamrolling teams in November than it is about having answers in April.
Having Torrey Craig in his spot may not be a big boost in regular season... might make us worse tbh... come playoff time I have more faith we get something out of him though.

Fans consistently underrate how hard it is for Utah to attract top UFA's at any price level. They are 80% of the time going to go to the bigger markets first. For one, they are bigger markets/more fun to live in (for the preference of the average NBA player) and also they typically are more star-filled teams, meaning they have more money tied up into the top 3 players, meaning more minutes for the vet signing.

Whoever signs with Utah is looking at 15-20 mpg vs LA/BRK you are probably getting 25 mpg.
We won't be first on people's lists for sure... but have to look for inefficiencies and work a little harder. I agree we have a hard time but there are times when a guy goes to like Sacramento and I think... I'm pretty sure we could got that one.

I think OP jr. is still a possibility. He should be looking at a good chunk of taxpayer MLE. Brooklyn will have a limit at some point here... If they take back salary in a Dinwiddie sign and trade as rumored their tax bill goes through the effing roof.

In all of Chicago's hurry to dump some salary... I'm sure you could swipe Troy Brown and his $5M salary. He might fill a need and might have a bounceback year. Still very young. Intriguing player who could be awesome... or he might not figure out how to put it all together.

I'm not a big Gay guy. He's the right archetype, but he's not very good. Has never been a reliable shooter.
He's very good and he has been a solid shooter for a while. He's basically everything you could reasonably as for from a $6M player... which is what we have to offer.

You are going to see after today a bunch of guys getting shredded by their teams. It's a bit fool hardy to speculate at the moment until we see who signs where and for what and what it does for teams' salary cap.

I'm not a big Gay guy. He's the right archetype, but he's not very good. Has never been a reliable shooter.

He shot the ball pretty well last season, but I don’t think he’s the archetype we need. What he’s really good at is getting to his shots in the midrange and scoring. Do we really need another iso scorer? No, I think that’s the last thing that we need.

Gay isn’t terrible as a defender/rebounder, but he’s 35 with tons of miles ok his body. Expecting him to do the dirty work (which is what we really need) seems like picking the wrong guy for the job.

I’d much rather pay Niang.

Nader isn’t good. What’s the infatuation with him?

His TS% was 59.1% two years ago. 60.5% this year. He shot 37.5% from 3 two years ago. 41.9% this year. In 14.8 minutes per game this year, he grabbed 2.6 rebounds, and had 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals, and 0.4 blocks. Decent numbers. He has a 7’1” wingspan and positive advanced defensive metrics. For a cheap *** salary, name me a better player with that length, potential on the defensive end, who can hit the 3 and do some other things okay.

Kent Bazemore has never really found a spot IMO. I guess the Hawks. But he’d be a solid backup plan. If we are just all-in on one or two guys, strike out, and walk away with no other bullets in the gun, and just shrug our shoulders, I’ll be furious. Don, Conley and every other player should be too.

He shot the ball pretty well last season, but I don’t think he’s the archetype we need. What he’s really good at is getting to his shots in the midrange and scoring. Do we really need another iso scorer? No, I think that’s the last thing that we need.

Gay isn’t terrible as a defender/rebounder, but he’s 35 with tons of miles ok his body. Expecting him to do the dirty work (which is what we really need) seems like picking the wrong guy for the job.

I’d much rather pay Niang.
I agree with you regarding Gay, unless he comes cheap and he won’t. But your last sentence should never be spoken or written because it might happen. My biggest fear this off-season is we overpay Niang, which to me is anything above the minimum.

His TS% was 59.1% two years ago. 60.5% this year. He shot 37.5% from 3 two years ago. 41.9% this year. In 14.8 minutes per game this year, he grabbed 2.6 rebounds, and had 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals, and 0.4 blocks. Decent numbers. He has a 7’1” wingspan and positive advanced defensive metrics. For a cheap *** salary, name me a better player with that length, potential on the defensive end, who can hit the 3 and do some other things okay.

Lolz he averaged 4.8 attempts a game. He got zero meaningful minutes in the playoffs. He’s just not good. Phoenix fans absolutely hate him. When Monty was playing him over Craig they were livid.