What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

Depends on what Sochan projects to be able to do offensively. Otherwise, he's basically Precious Achiuwa and probably comes off the bench, imo.

A big guy who is relatively mobile and can shoot will still probably go in the 1st round. I could see Baldwin shooting lights out in some workouts and going in the 20s somewhere.
Precious Achiwa is a great ballhandler and passer?

Depends on what Sochan projects to be able to do offensively. Otherwise, he's basically Precious Achiuwa and probably comes off the bench, imo.

A big guy who is relatively mobile and can shoot will still probably go in the 1st round. I could see Baldwin shooting lights out in some workouts and going in the 20s somewhere.
Sochan is a top 8 player and nothing like Achiuwa

I could see Charlotte take him at 13 maybe, or Cleveland at 14. Maybe he's in the conversation for WAS and NYK at 10 and 11.
He shot the ball so poorly at Baylor that it's hard to project what he'll do on offense without being a liability.
And you the same dude who blows your load daily for Dyson Daniels?

The hypocrisy

Sochan is this year's Wagner. People kind of underwhelmed by him because he's not extremely long or highlight athletic, but he is long and a good all around athlete. He's the best defender in the class and very young, like Franz was. Sochan was a good C&S player this year.

Floor is ultimate role player, ceiling is very good 2-way player who can give you an efficient 15-18 ppg.

And you the same dude who blows your load daily for Dyson Daniels?

The hypocrisy

Dyson played in a tougher league as a lead guard, he showed excellent touch on his floaters, he projects as a better shooter due to his FT%, and he has tremendous value as an on-ball initiator.

Sochan is an elite defensive wing with size. He's got great potential, but he's got to do enough on offense so that he doesn't get ignored. He'll need to make a decent percentage of his spot-ups. He has more question marks than Dyson, unless you want to play him as a small-ball 5 who rolls and sits in the dunker's spot.

Wagner was a 3-level scorer and solid passer who proved himself in two years of college and international competition. Sochan isn't there. Maybe he starts entering the discussion around #10, imo, but Washington already has a bunch of big forwards.

Last edited:
Dyson played in a tougher league as a lead guard, he showed excellent touch on his floaters, he projects as a better shooter due to his FT%, and he has tremendous value as an on-ball initiator.

Sochan is an elite defensive wing with size. He's got great potential, but he's got to do enough on offense so that he doesn't get ignored. He'll need to make a decent percentage of his spot-ups. He has more question marks than Dyson, unless you want to play him as a small-ball 5 who rolls and sits in the dunker's spot.

Wagner was a 3-level scorer and solid passer who proved himself in two years of college and international competition. Sochan isn't there. Maybe he starts entering the discussion around #10, imo, but Washington already has a bunch of big forwards.
Franz Wagner per 100 possessions stats Freshamn year vs Sochan

17.4 FGA vs 16.3 (45 vs 47)
9.2 3PA vs 6.3 (31% vs 30)
3.8 FTA vs 7.0 (83 vs 59)
10.5 rebounds vs 14.8
1.9 assist vs 4.1
2.4 steals vs 2.9
1.1 blocks vs 1.6
2.8 TO vs 3.6
21.7 points vs 21.4

Other than FT% Sochan had the better stats.

and I dont know if I would call the G-League tougher.

It's probably tougher to win in, but you can put up far better stats in the G_League than you can college. It's just no one watches or cares until the draft.

and I dont know if I would call the G-League tougher.

It's probably tougher to win in, but you can put up far better stats in the G_League than you can college. It's just no one watches or cares until the draft.

The size, speed and physical maturity of the players in the G-league is a clear step up from the NCAA. There's no question that Sochan has significant potential, there are just some risk factors too. You'd say the same about other prospects in this draft. I like Sochan. He's on my list of prospects in my signature. I just think he comes into play in the late lottery or mid-1st round, rather than top 10 right now. Maybe he'll kill it in workouts and teams will feel more comfortable projecting him as a starter as a result.

So the rumors are that Dyson is rising on draft boards which sucks. If he were there at #11 I'd strongly consider engaging the Knicks on Donovan. Get #11, 2023 1sts from NY and Dallas (that they own), get a 2025 first unprotected... get a little icing on the cake if possible (Quickley or a 2027 pick... some pick swaps)... take back expiring salaries AB/Noel/Cam.

So the rumors are that Dyson is rising on draft boards which sucks. If he were there at #11 I'd strongly consider engaging the Knicks on Donovan. Get #11, 2023 1sts from NY and Dallas (that they own), get a 2025 first unprotected... get a little icing on the cake if possible (Quickley or a 2027 pick... some pick swaps)... take back expiring salaries AB/Noel/Cam.

I wouldn't trade Donovan for Dyson. They're not the same caliber of player. But if I were trading Rudy, I'd love to get #7 or #8 as part of the deal somehow to grab Eason or Dyson.

I think Jabari, Chet, Paolo, Ivey, Murray and probably Sharpe are the first six picks. Maybe Sharpe drops to 9 if teams are uncertain about his aggressiveness/competitiveness. But if I'm NOLA at #8, I'd be interested in Dyson to be my new point guard. He'd also fit well in Washington at #10. So I don't see him getting past the top 10.

To me, Dyson is the perfect glue guy. He should be able to defend guards and wings. He's an excellent facilitator who can play in pick-and-roll. He should also be a consistent double-digit scorer sooner rather than later. He'd give the Jazz the type of on-ball wing they haven't had since they lost Hayward.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that an athletically challenged player who has no pull-up or spot-up game to speak of, and a questionable handle (no shake) can be a NBA PG.

Can he be a player who gets a good volume of PNR in the half-court? Yes, but that doesnt make you a PG.

At this point I would put him closer to being the next Jarret Culver than becoming a legitimate NBA PG.

I have a hard time believing that an athletically challenged player who has no pull-up or spot-up game to speak of, and a questionable handle (no shake) can be a NBA PG.

Can he be a player who gets a good volume of PNR in the half-court? Yes, but that doesnt make you a PG.

At this point I would put him closer to being the next Jarret Culver than becoming a legitimate NBA PG.
PG, playmaking wing call him whatever you want… he’s a perfect pairing in the backcourt for a high volume scorer type…. And there are lots of those types these days. Any projection of him being awesome is reliant on the 3 shot coming around.

I think this draft will have a lot of guys that have success on a Wagner, Haliburton, Vassell, Bane, McDaniels types of levels. Has a lot of guys that have great size for the position. I think there are really good building block players from 7-20ish... The top isn't as sexy as you'd like but its not ugly by any means.

Best thing about Daniels is that I think his defense is translatable. He will be a better defender than the guys I would comp him to from recent drafts(Troy Brown Jr/Jarret Culver) (though those guys arent failing in the NBA due to their defense).

The idea that Dyson is some kind of Gordon Hayward though.... he doesnt not have that kind of baseline offensive scoring or shooting talent.

To me he is more of a 15-20 guy because of his age gives him reason to talk yourself into some kind of large jump in his skillset. This draft kind of sucks tho like I said for top end talent, so teams may reach and fool themselves into thinking Dyson is more based off workouts.