What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

With regard to Dyson... he had the fastest shuttle time of the last two years... so while he may not be a good vertical athlete... he isn't Ingles either. His length makes him a menace on defense and means his vertical athleticism isn't as important.

Good passer, can hit some mid range shots, has been declared the best perimeter defender in the draft by some of the experts, he's about all the right things and winning... the question is the jumper. If it comes around he could be one of those borderline all-stars that just wins everywhere he goes. If it doesn't he may lock more like a caffeinated Kyle Anderson.

Best thing about Daniels is that I think his defense is translatable. He will be a better defender than the guys I would comp him to from recent drafts(Troy Brown Jr/Jarret Culver) (though those guys arent failing in the NBA due to their defense).

The idea that Dyson is some kind of Gordon Hayward though.... he doesnt not have that kind of baseline offensive scoring talent.
I'd buy low on Troy Brown this summer. Has been in some ****** environments imo... still young. I think he's a minimum guy and we could offer a role.

Dyson isn't Gordon... I think he has elements of Tyrese and Lonzo.

Best thing about Daniels is that I think his defense is translatable. He will be a better defender than the guys I would comp him to from recent drafts(Troy Brown Jr/Jarret Culver) (though those guys arent failing in the NBA due to their defense).

The idea that Dyson is some kind of Gordon Hayward though.... he doesnt not have that kind of baseline offensive scoring or shooting talent.

To me he is more of a 15-20 guy because of his age gives him reason to talk yourself into some kind of large jump in his skillset. This draft kind of sucks tho like I said for top end talent, so teams may reach and fool themselves into thinking Dyson is more based off workouts.
I think its the off court reports and the kind of winning attitude he seems to have that has me talking myself into him. To go to the G League and not just gun for stats... when you are headed into the draft with a lot at stake just says a lot to me. The sample is small. The shot looks okay but the 3p% with the FT shooting % are scary. He has enough there that if he works I think the shot gets good enough.

I think I'd have Dyson ranked 8th. Mathurin is pretty intriguing and has some upside. I think AJ Griffin slips to 12 or further because of medicals. Regardless I am not a big believer.

Dyson is a lead guard who plays on the ball and leads his team in assists. He's a good creator in pick-and-roll, he leads in transition, he can finish at the rim or use floaters out to 8 feet. He can also play off the ball, mostly spotting up and cutting to the basket. If you want to call him a combo-guard, fine. He'll defend 1 - 3.

I wouldn't compare him to Tyrese Haliburton because Dyson's game is predicated on driving rather than shooting, and he's not nearly the shooter that Tyrese is.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9lXPGHoXQ&t=303s

I think I'd have Dyson ranked 8th. Mathurin is pretty intriguing and has some upside. I think AJ Griffin slips to 12 or further because of medicals. Regardless I am not a big believer.
Yeah, IDK how to rank that mid lottery to 20's. A lot of guys like Griffin/Mathurin/Davis/Ivey/Sharpe/Murray/(EVEN SMITH) who are just kind of meh to me.

At this point Holmgren/Banchero are the clear top 2 to me.

Smith is probably 3 by default. Then it's a lot of meh of dudes who are questionable. Jaden Ivey probably has to be 4 just because the talent level to be a lead scorer, but he isnt the kind of player I value highly.

I might put Sochan as high at 6th tbh. I just value what he brings over the other prospects.

Dyson is a lead guard who plays on the ball and leads his team in assists. He's a good creator in pick-and-roll, he leads in transition, he can finish at the rim or use floaters out to 8 feet. He can also play off the ball, mostly spotting up and cutting to the basket. If you want to call him a combo-guard, fine. He'll defend 1 - 3.

I wouldn't compare him to Tyrese Haliburton because Dyson's game is predicated on driving rather than shooting, and he's not nearly the shooter that Tyrese is.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9lXPGHoXQ&t=303s

Name one team that is in position to draft him that would develop him with lead guard in mind lmao.

And IDK, I guess him having a good floater is a positive, but it's also a sign he's completely adverse to contact and is going to struggle in the NBA. He's going to struggle to finish in a league that has actual rim protectors. The G-League is a joke when it comes to rim defense. I have no idea how Dyson scores in the NBA outside of transition. His complete lack of scoring ability or shooting ability is going to hurt his best skill, passing/court awareness. I could easily see it becoming a Jarret Culver/Troy Brown situation.

Yeah, IDK how to rank that mid lottery to 20's. A lot of guys like Griffin/Mathurin/Davis/Ivey/Sharpe/Murray/(EVEN SMITH) who are just kind of meh to me.

At this point Holmgren/Banchero are the clear top 2 to me.

Smith is probably 3 by default. Then it's a lot of meh of dudes who are questionable. Jaden Ivey probably has to be 4 just because the talent level to be a lead scorer, but he isnt the kind of player I value highly.

I might put Sochan as high at 6th tbh. I just value what he brings over the other prospects.
Even though I don't love some of those guys (I think Duren and Griffin are the only ones I'd be a lot lower on) I think those guys are all great bets. Last year I didn't care much for Mitchell or Bouknight really much at all... outside of Moody and Duarte there weren't guys I really liked in that range... just didn't seem like there were a lot of guys I thought were surefire rotation players. I'd feel pretty good that if I had two picks in the teens I could come out with at least one average starter quality player and a rotation piece... and think both would have upside for more.

Even though I don't love some of those guys (I think Duren and Griffin are the only ones I'd be a lot lower on) I think those guys are all great bets. Last year I didn't care much for Mitchell or Bouknight really much at all... outside of Moody and Duarte there weren't guys I really liked in that range... just didn't seem like there were a lot of guys I thought were surefire rotation players. I'd feel pretty good that if I had two picks in the teens I could come out with at least one average starter quality player and a rotation piece... and think both would have upside for more.
I'm higher on Griffin than you are I guess.

I think he has an elite skill. That's more than I can say for most of this draft class. Plus he has the "he's been consistently injured" kind of upside.

I'm higher on Griffin than you are I guess.

I think he has an elite skill. That's more than I can say for most of this draft class. Plus he has the "he's been consistently injured" kind of upside.
He has the “couldn’t use his skills at Duke” thing as well. I just think he could be Tony Snell. I also wouldn’t love the injury history there as I think it’s a strong indicator of some future issues. Outside of the top 12-13 I’d be fine taking him.

His shots a little goofy looking… I think he has a history as a shooter but it always throws me off.

He has the “couldn’t use his skills at Duke” thing as well. I just think he could be Tony Snell. I also wouldn’t love the injury history there as I think it’s a strong indicator of some future issues. Outside of the top 12-13 I’d be fine taking him.

His shots a little goofy looking… I think he has a history as a shooter but it always throws me off.
It's just the base that's goofy iirc. He's very wide stanced, but I dont think it's a negative (at last when it comes to shooting, I guess it could present issue when it comes to attacking). He's got a pretty shot IMO. Get's a ton of arc and is a clean shooter off dribble moves. He's not even 19 yet and he's one of the most physically impressive players in the draft from a strength standpoint.

But yeah, huge defensive questions marks combined with questionable health. But you can talk yourself into explaining away most of his question marks due to the unlucky health.

Name one team that is in position to draft him that would develop him with lead guard in mind lmao.

Washington would play him at the 1 next to Beal. They've been getting by with Neto and Ish Smith.
Pels would play him at the 1 next to McCollum and Ingram. They don't really have a playmaking PG and seem to have given up on Kira Lewis.
Knicks would play him on the ball as a 1/2. Kemba looks done and Derrick Rose plays more limited minutes. Quickley is better playing off the ball. Burks is getting older.

Those are three teams I could see drafting him.

Does anyone have an opinion on Johnny Davis? Some people seem to love him in the top 10. I'm not seeing it.

I get that he's tough and competitive, and he has good size for a guard, but what separates him from a mid-late FRP?

Washington would play him at the 1 next to Beal. They've been getting by with Neto and Ish Smith.
Pels would play him at the 1 next to McCollum and Ingram. They don't really have a playmaking PG and seem to have given up on Kira Lewis.
Knicks would play him on the ball as a 1/2. Kemba looks done and Derrick Rose plays more limited minutes. Quickley is better playing off the ball.

Those are three teams I could see drafting him.
These are 3 win now teams. You really think they are drafting Dyson Daniels to be a lead guard?

The dude would get picked up for his defensive versatility and his age growth. No one is picking him up and slotting him as lead guard. That would be a recipe to see him fail. Any team that drafts him is going to bring him off the bench in a versatility off-ball role.

Does anyone have an opinion on Johnny Davis? Some people seem to love him in the top 10. I'm not seeing it.
He's on the same level as basically everyone else not in the top 4. If he had more size I would be higher on him, but he's pretty good. I think one of the safer players to be a good starter.

These are 3 win now teams. You really think they are drafting Dyson Daniels to be a lead guard?

The dude would get picked up for his defensive versatility and his age growth. No one is picking him up and slotting him as lead guard. That would be a recipe to see him fail. Any team that drafts him is going to bring him off the bench in a versatility off-ball role.
Right... but he projects as a guy that would play well next to a Beal, Donovan, Trae, SGA, Booker, Lavine, Derozan type. Like if you came out of the draft with Ivey and Dyson I'd feel like that could be a pretty nice fit (assuming both guys improve outside shooting).

The think with Dyson's shooting is a lot of times it looks like he is short or he is flinging it a little. I think the deeper three point line was partly the culprit. Its significant... he shot it better his last 8-10 games. He also might be a 30% 3 point shooter and it may limit his upside.

ESPN just moved Dyson Daniels up to #6 on their Big Board, ahead of Sharpe. I don't think even I'd go that far.

ESPN also lists Daniels as a PG, #2 behind Ivey, fwiw.

Yep, Cy doesn’t know what he is talking about when it comes to this draft.

You have turned on me smh
As much as it pains me to say it... I think Cy is more knowledgeable on the draft than I am. I have had some recent successes but tend to latch on to a guy or two I really like.

With regard to Dyson I think his floor is much higher than Cy is saying but I see his point. Troy Brown with great defense is likely a good comparison on the lowest end for Dyson imo. I would actually love getting Brown on a minimum deal. Not sure what happened there. Had a great second year and then has gone down hill. I think worst case he's an average bench wing but in the right system and if he takes a leap he could be more.