What's new

2023 Mock Draft - Take 2

Both. Hawkins and Amen are great fits. You have ball-dominant guard and off ball master. Whitmore and Hawkins are both more off-ball players who arent great passers. And Amen just has a higher ceiling. Shoot for the moon if you get the 4th pick.
Whitmore has a **** ton of potential… lol. If he had a busted *** jumper the. Maybe more people would buy into how much raw potential he has I guess.

Whitmore, Hawkins, and Lewis.

Its probably impossible for me to hate a draft because I overall like most of these guys, but man, what a let down. Especially when you could have gotten Amen Thompson and Jordan Hawkins instead of Whitmore and Hawkins.
I love the first 2 and have no idea who the third one is. I would be very very happy with that draft.

Time for a debrief HH. How do you feel about your draft? Any regrets (like me with JHS)? Anything you would have done different? Walk us through it.

I love the first 2 and have no idea who the third one is. I would be very very happy with that draft.
Max is a very good wing prospect. Was talked about as maybe a sleeper lotto guy at one point but had a slump. Played on a ****** team.

He's long, athletic, and can shoot. 6-7 with a 6-10 wingspan (reportedly)... but my eye test says he will come in closer to 7-0. He's a great end of first round bet on a position that is really valuable.

Time for a debrief HH. How do you feel about your draft? Any regrets (like me with JHS)? Anything you would have done different? Walk us through it.
The only thing I wish is that I could have worked a trade to get Wallace. Amen is a great prospect... but his wart is like the most important thing for a guy to have in the modern game. Watch him shoot... his jumper is AT LEAST a couple years away and our team is likely going to be good right now. Years of waiting on Exum and the frustrations that came with a group that was ready to be a playoff team but had to try and develop this pg have soured me a bit on that type of a project. If Whitmore goes to a different school and doesn't have offseason thumb surgery then there is a chance he is talked about like Brandon Miller.

In a real draft I would trade up and grab Wallace. I really like Hawkins though and am not sold on Ochai being a high upside starter at the 2. Hawkins could be devastating if you have to account for him on an NBA court what else is going to be open? If you don't give him attention what happens. I'm a fan.

End of first I just like taking the flier... Max should be gone by time the Philly pick roles around. If he isn't he's as good a bet as any imo. I would like to get a good pg prospect but also that is a current need we can address in FA or trade. Not trying to complete the roster in the draft... I bet on 3 dudes on the wing... I'm good with how it played out and I almost had my ideal scenario (non-Wemby/Scoot/Miller version) Whitmore and Wallace.

The only thing I wish is that I could have worked a trade to get Wallace. Amen is a great prospect... but his wart is like the most important thing for a guy to have in the modern game. Watch him shoot... his jumper is AT LEAST a couple years away and our team is likely going to be good right now. Years of waiting on Exum and the frustrations that came with a group that was ready to be a playoff team but had to try and develop this pg have soured me a bit on that type of a project. If Whitmore goes to a different school and doesn't have offseason thumb surgery then there is a chance he is talked about like Brandon Miller.

In a real draft I would trade up and grab Wallace. I really like Hawkins though and am not sold on Ochai being a high upside starter at the 2. Hawkins could be devastating if you have to account for him on an NBA court what else is going to be open? If you don't give him attention what happens. I'm a fan.

End of first I just like taking the flier... Max should be gone by time the Philly pick roles around. If he isn't he's as good a bet as any imo. I would like to get a good pg prospect but also that is a current need we can address in FA or trade. Not trying to complete the roster in the draft... I bet on 3 dudes on the wing... I'm good with how it played out and I almost had my ideal scenario (non-Wemby/Scoot/Miller version) Whitmore and Wallace.
Bruh just look at how good THT can be without a jumper. Amen is going to be like 10x that, and thats even if he never shoots it well. Way overthinking it.

Bruh just look at how good THT can be without a jumper. Amen is going to be like 10x that, and thats even if he never shoots it well. Way overthinking it.
Nah... I'm not... you are underthinking it. THT's jumper is WAY better than where Amen's jumper is. When THT has his big nights... it is in part cuz the jumper is falling.

If I was the Rockets or Spurs that have a longer timeline I would probably go Amen. I just think Whitmore will have a better chance to develop here than Amen would. I would address pg in trade or FA instead.

Also, we have run our Dunn/THT/Sexton and been fine a pg most of the year. I wouldn't recommend that be our group next year... but if you draft Amen I doubt you also spend on that position. I just think the development fit/timeline is a lot to deal with.

Also, just wanted to mention... a few folks here seem really convinced on Amen here. It is likely that nba teams are less sure about the dude than you all are. I can see him going 5 or 6 on draft night as uncertainty = risk and NBA GMs are generally very risk averse. Dude is awful at the most important skill for a perimeter player to have... he played in a league that level of competition is suspect at best. He seems like a good dude and likely will be much more successful than Exum and the last few years of Ben Simmons.... but he is the type of dude that gets GMs fired... either because they pick him and he disappoints... or they pass on him and he becomes a bigger version of Ja Morant.

Also, just wanted to mention... a few folks here seem really convinced on Amen here. It is likely that nba teams are less sure about the dude than you all are. I can see him going 5 or 6 on draft night as uncertainty = risk and NBA GMs are generally very risk averse. Dude is awful at the most important skill for a perimeter player to have... he played in a league that level of competition is suspect at best. He seems like a good dude and likely will be much more successful than Exum and the last few years of Ben Simmons.... but he is the type of dude that gets GMs fired... either because they pick him and he disappoints... or they pass on him and he becomes a bigger version of Ja Morant.

Amen is a very intriguing prospect...but the bad shooters and other players he's being compared to are like Curry compared to him. I think NBA teams have a right to be skeptical, some teams are just going to take him off their list because they don't want to take on that risk and uncertainty.

Beyond that, I think Cam Whitmore is a fantastic prospect. I'm not at the point where I'm putting him ahead of Brandon Miller as a wing prospect, but I don't think it's totally crazy given his youth and tougher circumstances at Nova. There's no shortage of potential with Whitmore.

Amen is a very intriguing prospect...but the bad shooters and other players he's being compared to are like Curry compared to him. I think NBA teams have a right to be skeptical, some teams are just going to take him off their list because they don't want to take on that risk and uncertainty.

Beyond that, I think Cam Whitmore is a fantastic prospect. I'm not at the point where I'm putting him ahead of Brandon Miller as a wing prospect, but I don't think it's totally crazy given his youth and tougher circumstances at Nova. There's no shortage of potential with Whitmore.
I also really think the thumb injury is something to watch. I have played with sprained thumbs a few times on my off hand and dribbling/shooting is a bitch with a wrap or brace on. Having to wear in on your shooting/dominant hand... I just think he powered through a bunch of different circumstances there and is slept on a bit.

@Domino needs to fill in a pick for Indiana. The French prospect Bilal Coolbaby might fit. But otherwise, we're done here.

Last edited:
I

I got him with the 25th pick in the first mock draft. It will be interesting to see where he lands in real life.
lol his skillset was hyped enough had he never played next to that no talent *** clown Anthony Black that he would have gotten lottery looks. I don't think he is a lottery lock, but I bet NSJ doesn't fall nearly as far as Black does.

Sorry I’ve been golfing all day
But yes the pacers will be selecting billal coulibaly
did you get bunker sand in your eyes? they already drafted Dick and another wing and now a 3rd one? Doesn't work that way lol
they are far more likely to drafted Sidy or Miller not poor Grady at 10th overall anyway this guys handles are worse than Brandon Millers who also aint going that high now smh.
I say they trade the last 2 to move up.