What's new

2023 NBA Draft “Hot Takes” Thread

I think if Utah goes guard at 9 then Klintman at 16 could be a thing. I have a hard time seeing them take Klintman if they get Walker/Hendricks/Coulibaly at 9.
You’re probably right, but they absolutely should be looking to do exactly that. It’s so hard to fill those spots adequately, and they traded away Jingles, O’Neale, Bogey, NAW and Vanderbilt all within the past year and a half.

The name of the game in the playoffs is positional and rotation versatility and they currently lack it at the wing/forward positions imo. I’m happy with their guard versatility - Sexton, THT, Dunn, JC and Agbaji is actually a pretty interesting group.

Kessler is a rock solid regular season center. We’ll see how he does in the playoffs when teams tend to go small and spread out. KO is pretty great at being a 4/5 that can shoot, pass, create and flop like a m-effer - but he’s getting old and is injury prone.

Markkanen is amazing at either the 4 or the 3 (which I didn’t see coming) - but there’s basically no depth behind him. Fontecchio and Gay are not long-term solutions. That should be their main focus this off-season. Adding great depth from 2-4 and roll with the guards and centers they currently have under contract.

Last edited:
Hot Take #1: Kobe Bufkin will be better than Cason Wallace.

Hot Take #2: Gradey Dick will be roughly as effective a shooter and scoring wing as Brandon Miller.

Hot Take #3: Sensabaugh and GG Jackson will earn $100M contracts.
I’m glad I made this thread. #3 is a helluva take.

I just don’t see it with Sensabaugh. Not my cup of tea. He’s one of the few guys being talked about in the first round that I hope the Jazz stay away from.

GG has the talent, but the head and maturity need to match it. I think it’s very possible that he can get there. Depends on who drafts him.

People are going to look back and say I was wrong about Dariq Whitehead. We should have drafted him.
But, there are plenty of scouting department heads fully aware of just how special he was pre injury, and know damn well he is worth the risk post lottery ,even if he is a injury prone gamble.
Nobody is going to say we should have drafted him that was informed, unless he falls out of the first round and they all just look like wimps for passing on him

This is very lukewarm, but I don't think this is an amazing draft class. It's fairly deep in the mid/late lotto and Wemby is obviously a generational talent, but I don't think it's going to be as amazing as it's being sold.

Maybe it's just because I haven't followed that draft as closely in recent years, but the amount of excuses for players this cycle (some are valid) seems extremely high.

1. Sidy and Whitehead will be viewed as top 10 players for this draft in 5 years.

2. This will be viewed as the deepest draft in nba history in 10 years.

Im all in on Cam so I agree with the first 2 posts.

1) Scoot will put up a bunch of empty calorie stats/points on low efficiency but casuals will think he’s great

2) Jarace will be super ok and be seen as a relative bust to draft position (if in the top 8)

3) Tey Henny will be 3’st and D’st of this class and will be top 30 total Raptor after 3-4 year and top 3 in this class In that same timeframe, in total Raptor

Portland takes Scoot and trades Dame this summer... to Miami in a deal around picks and Herro (who maybe goes to a third team for more picks)
That is a hot take and never gonna happen, If Jimmy has to hand over the keys to someone else, after getting them to the finals when noone expected it, Dame would ber on a gutted team with no Butler and a disgruntled BAM. He would be in SB though, down there lose or win noone really cares smh