What's new

2023 NBA Draft “Hot Takes” Thread

Coach Ellis

All of us have them, I figure we need a “safe place” to share them.

I’ll start. I definitely have a couple that will go against the grain of what everyone else thinks.

Hot Take #1 - Cam Whitmore is going to be the 2nd best player in the draft.

Every single guy at the top of the draft is a huge projection as to how they will develop because of how young they are. . . but I just see something special when I watch him play. I understand why other guys have higher rankings to the collective. . . but he just looks like what I want at the hardest position to fill in basketball.

I really want DA to spend to go get him. He’ll probably have to overpay, and a lot of fans will be pissed because of it. . . but I actually think he’d be worth giving up assets to go get.

Hot Take #2 - @Saint Cy of JFC is right and you’re all going to have to listen to him brag about it for years. Bobi Klintman is going to be very similar to Kyle Kuzma in the NBA and should be drafted a lot earlier than he’s being talked about right now.

Body type and style of play are very similar to my eye test. It’s all flash and potential at this point, but I see a lot of upside to Klintman and I’m surprised he’s not getting more love now that he’s officially staying in the draft. It’s a strong year, so maybe he falls to the late 1st early 2nd range. . . but I won’t be surprised if he gets drafted way above his current projections - and then subsequently outplays where he gets picked. He’s my dark horse pick for #16.

I’m not saying the Jazz should take him necessarily but I think he may still be there at 16.
I really want wings in this draft, but I’d be perfectly happy with any number of guys falling to #16 and getting picked there - Couliably, Dick, Bufkin, Wallace, Bufkin, George and JHS all make that list. Sitting at 16 should be pretty easy considering how strong the middle of the draft looks right now.

Hot Take #2 - @Saint Cy of JFC is right and you’re all going to have to listen to him brag about it for years. Bobi Klintman is going to be very similar to Kyle Kuzma in the NBA and should be drafted a lot earlier than he’s being talked about right now.

Body type and style of play are very similar to my eye test. It’s all flash and potential at this point, but I see a lot of upside to Klintman and I’m surprised he’s not getting more love now that he’s officially staying in the draft. It’s a strong year, so maybe he falls to the late 1st early 2nd range. . . but I won’t be surprised if he gets drafted way above his current projections - and then subsequently outplays where he gets picked. He’s my dark horse pick for #16.
I'm happy you agree with me and offended that me being right is a hot take.

The hot take is less that you’re right and more that Klintman should be talked about at the tail end of the lottery.
Lmao I know. Sometimes I feel very irrational being high on Klintman, but he just looks so good, but he is probably one or two years away so we are probably not going to have much bragging rights for a bit.

Lmao I know. Sometimes I feel very irrational being high on Klintman, but he just looks so good, but he is probably one or two years away so we are probably not going to have much bragging rights for a bit.
I thought the same thing for awhile, and then just decided to fully embrace it. The kid looks good. He has such a great toolbox to work with. He was a surprise entry, and then even more surprising that he stayed in. It’s likely that somebody promised to make him a 1st round pick, but I see the upside enough to draft him at 16 and let the Jazz coaches mold him into the player they want him to be.

He’s raw as hell, but I think there’s going to be some value to him getting some run as “the man” for the Swedish national team - similar to Lauri.

I thought the same thing for awhile, and then just decided to fully embrace it. The kid looks good. He has such a great toolbox to work with. He was a surprise entry, and then even more surprising that he stayed in. It’s likely that somebody promised to make him a 1st round pick, but I see the upside enough to draft him at 16 and let the Jazz coaches mold him into the player they want him to be.

He’s raw as hell, but I think there’s going to be some value to him getting some run as “the man” for the Swedish national team - similar to Lauri.
I think if Utah goes guard at 9 then Klintman at 16 could be a thing. I have a hard time seeing them take Klintman if they get Walker/Hendricks/Coulibaly at 9.

Leonard Miller is the guy that goes 10-14 this year that becomes an AS and everyone will be like "we were super high on him and couldn't believe teams didn't take him higher".