What's new

2023 NBA Draft “Hot Takes” Thread

Crazy. Just looked back at Windlers college stats. You would think this guy would be a surefire 3pt shooter. He had NBA height, length, even measured with a 38" vertical. Ja came out that same year so it gave his conference some legitimacy.

I remember being intrigued by him, but ultimately didn't really believe. Funny thing is that looking back on post about Windler I was talking SeattleJazzfan off from hyping him up too

Still kind of surprised by just how bad Windler has been. Dude just had absolutely monstrous games at the NCAA level. Dude dropped 35-11 on Maryland w/ Bruno Fernando and Jalen Smith (not great NBA players by any means, but still guys who played in the league) during the NCAA Tournament!

A good reminder that sometimes absolutely nothing translates for these dudes, or their weaknesses are so weak that they arent even able to display their strengths.
yeah, i loved windler at different times prior to the draft. crazy how bad and irrelevant he has been.

Crazy. Just looked back at Windlers college stats. You would think this guy would be a surefire 3pt shooter. He had NBA height, length, even measured with a 38" vertical. Ja came out that same year so it gave his conference some legitimacy.

I remember being intrigued by him, but ultimately didn't really believe. Funny thing is that looking back on post about Windler I was talking SeattleJazzfan off from hyping him up too

Still kind of surprised by just how bad Windler has been. Dude just had absolutely monstrous games at the NCAA level. Dude dropped 35-11 on Maryland w/ Bruno Fernando and Jalen Smith (not great NBA players by any means, but still guys who played in the league) during the NCAA Tournament!

A good reminder that sometimes absolutely nothing translates for these dudes, or their weaknesses are so weak that they arent even able to display their strengths.
Windler has not been bad, that I can see. He hasn't played enough to say he is bad is his problem.
Didn't miss a game at Belmont, but has been injured every season in the NBA.

yeah, i loved windler at different times prior to the draft. crazy how bad and irrelevant he has been.
when someone is hurt all the time that makes them bad? I would throw a league minimum deal at him and see if he can stay healthy long enough to be himself again.
Cleveland is weird though, he might have been only a little hurt and just didn't get to earn minutes or something as a result

I havent played enough in the NBA either.
you said his g league stats were bad and that makes me not believe anything you say about him.
I think any time he has gotten some run in the g, it's been because he was hurt and trying to work his way back.
I see a underrated off ball movement shooter, that cannot stay on the court , I don't see anything suggesting his
minutes were capped based on lack of ability. whatever

you said his g league stats were bad and that makes me not believe anything you say about him.
I think any time he has gotten some run in the g, it's been because he was hurt and trying to work his way back.
I see a underrated off ball movement shooter, that cannot stay on the court , I don't see anything suggesting his
minutes were capped based on lack of ability. whatever
I'm sorry I want my NBA players to have better stats in the G-League than what he was putting up.

This was a dude who was dropping 21 ppg in college.

I'm sorry I want my NBA players to have better stats in the G-League than what he was putting up.

This was a dude who was dropping 21 ppg in college.
he is hurt all the time and nobody uses injured stats to determine jack except you I guess?
Why do you even care? This clown is on another roster smh

Your description sounded as much like Podz as Jimmer.
You mean the guy that was incapable of playing defense, was a poor/unwilling passer, was tiny, had nothing to his game besides scoring/shooting, and was a four-year player?

I think Podz will be more suited to the NBA than Jimmer, but the description sounded the same.
Possibly. His saving grace is that he was at his best as a C&S player, so that bodes well for him off the ball, but he will have to adjust to not being a primary handler unless he gets lucky with a team that really sees him as such.

As perhaps the biggest jimmer homer on the board (fish?), I can say Podz is nothing like Jimmer. Jimmer was a 6’2 scorer and nothing else. Podz is 6’5 and does everything better on the basketball court than Jimmer, even shoot/ score at the same age. Everything. The ball handling, passing and rebounding. Even defense where I do think Podz will struggle some is about 10x better than jimmer who might be the worst defender I’ve ever seen in the NBA.

As perhaps the biggest jimmer homer on the board (fish?), I can say Podz is nothing like Jimmer. Jimmer was a 6’2 scorer and nothing else. Podz is 6’5 and does everything better on the basketball court than Jimmer, even shoot/ score at the same age. Everything. The ball handling, passing and rebounding. Even defense where I do think Podz will struggle some is about 10x better than jimmer who might be the worst defender I’ve ever seen in the NBA.
I agree but it feels crazy to say he shoots better than jimmer after what I saw from jimmer in college. He was a legendary college player almost primarily due to shooting.
I know you qualified it with "at the same age" but it still feels wrong.

Idk about all that. Jimmer was ****ing good as ****. He just had to play his style. He had no versatility. Podz size isn't good enough to let him be a ball dominant guard (unless like I said he's truly an elite shooter but that is unlikely), so he has to be versatile.

Idk about all that. Jimmer was ****ing good as ****. He just had to play his style. He had no versatility. Podz size isn't good enough to let him be a ball dominant guard (unless like I said he's truly an elite shooter but that is unlikely), so he has to be versatile.
He is is versatile - that’s the point. Jimmer wasn’t and that was his downfall. It was either Curry-lite or nothing. Podz is a great rebounder for his position and is a plus passer/ handle/facilitator - IMO he was the best lead guard at the combine. Podz can also be a catch and shoot guy as somebody mentioned about. You don’t draft him to be a ball dominant scorer. He’s either a spot up shooter or a lead/combo guard who initiates offense. Sort of a Brogdon type as a high end outcome.

I was about as big a jimmer fan as anyone and I remember in that draft the jazz were picking 12th and I was so happy when Sacramento took him at 10 so we couldn't draft him. Never thought he would be good in the NBA (didn't think he would be THAT bad ether though)
And of course I wanted Burks so bad in that draft coming out of Colorado so I was happy that draft year.

My hot take is that somehow, someway, we have to draft one of Jarace Walker, Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks. Not that there are not plenty of other good players on the board, but we need to draft to need, and this team desperately needs a junkyard dog! If the draft goes to form and two of them are taken, we need to consider all three of our picks for the third. And particularly if it’s Hendricks as he’s the most polished on both sides of the ball imo. But for me, the other two are intriguing enough to roll the dice for a couple of rounds as any one of them or all three could break big. And one of the three plus a Gradey Dick for example, trumps any one straight up from a speculative perspective imo.

I think it could be Danny will try to use the Finnisher, to get a 1st option scorer via trade, if he cannot trade up in this draft for one to join the Finnisher, that doesn't require an elite playmaker to feed him.
But to get any of the lottery projected prospects, that have those attributes, means sacrificing spacing, driving lanes and adding defenders to the FInnisher. If not,we will spend the entire season bitching about how we should have traded the Finnisher, as his value plummets, because he cannot get good looks. Reason: his rookie so caled floor general being dared to shoot with veteran defenders laughing at him, and the rookie shucking it up and doing so poorly.
It will not be the answer to building around the Finnisher, since none of these options via the draft offer any spacing or enough playmaking and defense to make up for it- none of them. They will just be another incomplete prospect and just a building block that means LM will be on the move before this org has any playoff success again. Hence the take