What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Black is underrated at scoring around the basket. His percentage at the rim is not great, but his FTr is great. He knows how to use his body to finish or get to the free throw line. He only needs a little bit of space/advantage to get all the way to the rim with his long strides.
I’m especially impressed by his ability to finish through contact. He’s stronger than he looks.

I like when 10 people point out an obvious flaw to a limited stat and it equals "butthurt".

People who are realistic about Taylor understand the actual flaws... May never have a ton of volume to his offense and likely not gonna self create. He can still be super valuable as a guy that gets an efficient 15 points per game if he provides the secondary rim defense and some switching/small ball possibilities.
Who's butthurt? Hearsky's mom?

I'm not sure what to make of a guy who is good at making bad shots and shoots a ton of them. JHS maybe is the guy some think GG is as a scorer.

I think JHS is the guy I don't like that I could be most wrong about.

JHS is crafty. He's almost elite at changing speeds and directions. However, he's a bit slow, his shooting is mediocre, and he doesn't often put pressure on the rim. I would take Bufkin over him. I understand he may be attainable at #16, but I don't see how he gives the Jazz an advantage other than shooting from mid-range off of screens.

JHS is crafty. He's almost elite at changing speeds and directions. However, he's a bit slow, his shooting is mediocre, and he doesn't often put pressure on the rim. I would take Bufkin over him. I understand he may be attainable at #16, but I don't see how he gives the Jazz an advantage other than shooting from mid-range off of screens.
I’m not a big fan… I think it most likely means he can’t get the better shots and is a good “bad shot” maker… but unless you are a star you don’t get to shoot those. I won’t be disgusted if we take him 16 but I’d likely have 5 or so guys I’d prefer.

with regard to the poor shot quality...it's hard to know if it's mostly a guy taking bad shots due to poor bball iq, hero ball and selfishness or if it's mostly the role he plays on his team - team runs the offensive sets, nothing is working, shot clock winding down, that's the guy they go to because he can create his own offense.

based on my memory of watch jhs, it was mostly the latter. he didn't seem like a dumb or selfish player to me. so the idea he's making a lot of shots he was mostly forced to take, i think is a good thing.

that said, can he defend at a high level, can he make plays consistently for teammates, etc? just because you can make those difficult shots, doesn't mean you're a great prospect.

with regard to the poor shot quality...it's hard to know if it's mostly a guy taking bad shots due to poor bball iq, hero ball and selfishness or if it's mostly the role he plays on his team - team runs the offensive sets, nothing is working, shot clock winding down, that's the guy they go to because he can create his own offense.

based on my memory of watch jhs, it was mostly the latter. he didn't seem like a dumb or selfish player to me. so the idea he's making a lot of shots he was mostly forced to take, i think is a good thing.

I don't get the vibe he's dumb or selfish, but I do think he lacks the ability to find better shots (particularly at the rim). His shot making is a huge plus, but the inability to get the rim or finish when he gets there is what concerns me. He's just not a great athlete, and I think that shows up with his struggles around the basket + low stocks. He can get better but his current playstyle is incredibly difficult way to make a living in the NBA.

I don't get the vibe he's dumb or selfish, but I do think he lacks the ability to find better shots (particularly at the rim). His shot making is a huge plus, but the inability to get the rim or finish when he gets there is what concerns me. He's just not a great athlete, and I think that shows up with his struggles around the basket + low stocks. He can get better but his current playstyle is incredibly difficult way to make a living in the NBA.
fair, that's the third part of the equation, and probably something to that.

Actually at the beginning of the year it was insanely high and then tapered off... but yes... point we all kind of made. Taylor dunked a lot... he's no Vando around the rim (not big enough to dunk everything and seemingly misses every layup he takes).
Look, no one will be happier if this “red flag” gets traction than me. That said, I am really concerned.

fair, that's the third part of the equation, and probably something to that.

He's interesting, just think the other prospects at #16 have more to offer. I think a lot of people have him as a high upside guy because of his size and ability to make tough shots, but his finishing + uncertainty around his 3 ball makes it hard for me to see him being a star. I'm more inclined to believe in a guy like Bufkin who is able to use his size/athleticism to get more high percentage looks and make more plays on defense. The other similar-ish prospect in that range is George, and I like George better because he's already extended his game to the 3 point line + gets to the free throw line a decent amount.

JHS shoit 38% on 3s out of PNR