What's new

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

I've seen him mentioned in other threads, but haven't been able to keep up...

I gather Herb Jones is now RFA, but Pelicans have no bird rights, so highest they can go is MLE I suppose. What's the highest other teams can go? I would've thought it was similar to Reaves, so ca 4/100. My pelicans fan mate says it's lower, does anyone know?

It's possible they have an "agreement" with Maxey about his next contract and he in on this scheme...
Could be... he isn't a for sure max guy. I'd probably be trying to lock him in to a more team friendly deal and would see that as being more valuable. Something less than the max and for 5 years. Going the restricted route he might not quite be a max guy but some team will offer max with a player option and make the contract kinda stinky.

I get waiting though... Morey is all about winning right now and I'm sure that has intensified as the Harden thing has gone sideways.

I gather Herb Jones is now RFA, but Pelicans have no bird rights, so highest they can go is MLE I suppose. What's the highest other teams can go? I would've thought it was similar to Reaves, so ca 4/100. My pelicans fan mate says it's lower, does anyone know?
4/53.3M

But they declined his option precisely in order to make him RFA so they won't lose him. They will match any offer... but I actually expect them to have a deal worked out already...

The highest Pelicans can go is 4/51M but I’m fairly certain other teams can go 4/98M.

I think that is true. I think the Herb thing is a little collusion with him and the team. Guessing he agrees quickly to an MLE deal as a favor to them for getting him paid a year early... but some Boozer potential here if someone wants to get wild. It is weird because he would have been restricted next year too.

I think that is true. I think the Herb thing is a little collusion with him and the team. Guessing he agrees quickly to an MLE deal as a favor to them for getting him paid a year early... but some Boozer potential here if someone wants to get wild. It is weird because he would have been restricted next year too.
I get their reasoning, though. They can retain him as RFA now or next year, but worst case now it's 4/98, next year it's worst case worse.

Also they could face scrutiny for collusion.

I get their reasoning, though. They can retain him as RFA now or next year, but worst case now it's 4/98, next year it's worst case worse.

Also they could face scrutiny for collusion.
I bet he is in on it though. He gets his money early. I think they could have extended him as well at a number close to what he gets.