What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

This would conceivably push Hendricks or Whitmore down to #10, which might make Dallas use their pick rather than trade back.
Does it? I think if Whitmore fell to 10th that would just increase the picks value (or maybe not, I'm guessing the other teams who arent in Cam's range probably dont have access to his medicals so they might be scared off).

I'm late to this party, but isnt that Porzingis trade just a 1-year rental for the Celtics?

They cannot hope to re-sign both Brown and Porzingis (who was traded in) with the new CBA constraints, or can they?

You cant gain leverage on a guy with a no trade clause who is perfectly fine just playing basketball for your team.
Which is what I'm saying. They should keep Beal now because Beal is fine just staying put. He never submitted a trade request or anything. But doing so they would’ve put themselves in a position to resign both zingis and Kuzma. Once they had secured zingis and kuzma extension, they can pivot at anytime and trade them both. That way they could've gotten more instead of losing them for nothing. They might never get anything good for Beal and that's fine. But at least they could've extended kuz and zingis and get decent return from them.

I'm late to this party, but isnt that Porzingis trade just a 1-year rental for the Celtics?

They cannot hope to resign both Brown and Porzingis (who was traded in) with the new CBA constraints, or can they?
They can, but it'd be expensive and probably hardcap them.

It would be hilarious to see the reaction of this board when it's announced Utah traded up to 5 to grab Bilal ahead of Orlando
Yeah it’s not happening… read that Todd article with the top 9 quote… it’s clear he was talking about the top 9 guys cuz he said one will be gone. Now Bilal may be there but if you believe TJ the consensus top 9 is what it is… then there are guys they like for 16 like Bufkin Bilal and JHS… according to Tony of course.

Which is what I'm saying. They should keep Beal now because Beal is fine just staying put. He never submitted a trade request or anything. But doing so they would’ve put themselves in a position to resign both zingis and Kuzma. Once they had securrd zingis and kuzma extension, they can pivot at anytime and trade them both. But that way they could've gotten more instead of losing them for nothing. They might never get anything good for Beal and that's fine. But at least they could've extended kuz and zingis and get decent return from them.
So overpay for a team that is going to be a perenial loser?

The Jazz got value out of their players because their players won. The Wizards didnt have that luxury. They made great moves. They were late, but better late than never.

Yeah it’s not happening… read that Todd article with the top 9 quote… it’s clear he was talking about the top 9 guys cuz he said one will be gone. Now Bilal may be there but if you believe TJ the consensus top 9 is what it is… then there are guys they like for 16 like Bufkin Bilal and JHS… according to Tony of course.
If I was a betting man I would 100% agree, but there is always some sort of tomfoolery afoot.

There is a Dick joke to be had there, but that's beneath me.
So immature. What if Dick falls down to 16 and we trade up for Black… I mean that’s a dream right. Can imagine my son and I attending games me wearing the duck jersey and him wearing the Black jersey… it’s worth it for the memes… winning a title is hard… making this dream come true is easy… DA please throw us this bone (puns intended)

Boards, smoards....Black is the number one target..all the rumors out there are trying to frustrate Ainge.

After that Bufkin/Bilal is the next target but that is after we got in their minds the big fish. They pretended to love Cam but it is now out there Ainge believes he is a notch below Black.

So overpay for a team that is going to be a perenial loser?

The Jazz got value out of their players because their players won. The Wizards didnt have that luxury. They made great moves. They were late, but better late than never.
Beal was one minor injury away from being untradeable. The NTC wasn’t going anywhere lol. Cut bait and move on… even if the return is garbage.

He’s also an injury prone player with a big one year deal… not the easiest guy to trade. Wiz did fine… they will likely flip Jones or one of their other pgs for some assets too.

Wiz are aggressively moving to the tank… they will take 75-80% of value in trades and are valuing speed with their big moves.
There is value in prioritizing direction and taking what you can get. I have always struggled with a team refusing to take a drop less value than they would like in a trade and opting for nothing rather than something, especially when jump-starting a tank. I wish Ainge wasn’t so bullheaded in that way, which is probably why we’re stuck bickering about trading up rather than just having a higher pick.

They can, but it'd be expensive and probably hardcap them.
Yeah and they got Tatum under control through 2025 after which he has a player option he surely will decline (37M), so they gotta address that. Right now both Tatum and Brown are supermax eligible and since the 65 game rule comes in for All-NBA Brown takes a huge risk if he doesnt demand his bag now. Tatum at least has 2 consecutive All-NBAs which means he is automatically supermax elibigle next offseason as well (if I understand this stuff correctly).

So if Celtics would give Brown his bag, and then somehow find a way to extend Porzingis (they cannot use extension exceptions for a player who hasnt been in their roster for less than a year, right?), that would put them at a pretty high cap total with Tatum blockbuster deal looming on the horizon.

Yeah and they got Tatum under control through 2025 after which he has a player option he surely will decline (37M), so they gotta address that. Right now both Tatum and Brown are supermax eligible and since the 65 game rule comes in for All-NBA Brown takes a huge risk if he doesnt demand his bag now. Tatum at least has 2 consecutive All-NBAs which means he is automatically supermax elibigle next offseason as well (if I understand this stuff correctly).

So if Celtics would give Brown his bag, and then somehow find a way to extend Porzingis (they cannot use extension exceptions for a player who hasnt been in their roster for less than a year, right?), that would put them at a pretty high cap total with Tatum blockbuster deal looming on the horizon.
I think the whole trade was to move off Marcus Smart’s contract and add an expiring so they can afford both Tatum and Brown’s deals starting next year. New CBA is going to screw teams that don’t manage their money well. Glad the Jazz are well positioned right now. Super curious to see what deal DA jumps in on.

The "Jazz love Black" rumor seems to 100% stem from the rumor that Hardy loves Black.

When I read Sarah Todd's piece on the draft process, it basically said Hardy will just come in for workouts and watch a hour or two of tape and just give his opinion, but his opinion is just a piece of the overall choice.

I'm sure he is high, but I'm not certain he is 5th.

The more I think about it, I think the Bart Taylor quote may be not so much saying that "there are (only, or as many as) 9 guys we like," but more that "we're comfortable with whoever on our board is left at 9."

Boston will let Zinger walk at year end unless he is cheap… like less than 20M a year. This was a change up trade but also a long term budget trade.

The more I think about it, I think the Bart Taylor quote may be not so much saying that "there are (only, or as many as) 9 guys we like," but more that "we're comfortable with whoever on our board is left at 9."
It could be either… it definitely isn’t “we think there are 9 guys after the tier of 4 guys” type interpretation. Kind of like a DL nothingburger quote. I’m just trying to piece together tea leaves with duct tape. I really need this to be over.

I think the whole trade was to move off Marcus Smart’s contract and add an expiring so they can afford both Tatum and Brown’s deals starting next year. New CBA is going to screw teams that don’t manage their money well. Glad the Jazz are well positioned right now. Super curious to see what deal DA jumps in on.
That sort of makes sense. Get that Smart money out and bring in KP as an expiring. That sort of supports my thoughts that KP is a 1 year mercenary whose point is to add length and scoring to the frontcourt and also to go away from the books after the next season.