What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

This draft is the one where I don't want any "we were high on this guy but he didn't fall to us" revisionist history from the front office. I think because of uncertainty there will be some guys that get missed and I think there will be some opportunities to move up. This is where your talent evaluators and scouting can really shine. The mystery and uncertainty should be considered a feature not a bug imo.

Do we think the Jazz's scouting/talent evaluating is an advantage over other teams?

Do we think the Jazz's scouting/talent evaluating is an advantage over other teams?
I hope they are. A small market non-desirable FA destination with infinity picks should hopefully be good at evaluating talent. I just don't want to hear the Almost Ainge "we loved this guy in the draft and new he'd be awesome" or JZ "we got the 9th guy on our board" type of stuff. There will be some luck and randomness but we are in a good position in this draft (assuming we keep the pick) to move up and get "our guy". I think DA has been good at the top of the draft finding his dudes with Tatum and Brown. He's also been great at making moves in the draft based on intel. This draft will present opportunities imo.

I wouldn't protest if someone had Castle below Black/Wallace....but I think he's at least in the same tier as those guys if not better. Castle/Holland are the two guys piquing my interest right now.

I like Holland. He's a plus-athlete who gets downhill at 6'7" and can finish on top of the rim. Shooting touch and decision-making are a bit suspect.

Last edited:

I think they're fairly average. If you look at the last draft, it seems every team had about the same consensus top 9. Getting Keyonte at 16 was a no-brainer, and getting Brice at 28 was close to a no-brainer.

You can only start one of them at the 2. The Jazz are also invested in Lauri and Taylor at the forward spots. It would seem to be less of a priority to draft a top 10 guy to be a backup 2/3, at least at this stage of the rebuild. Plus, I just don't think Castle is that compelling a prospect in general.
Please stop.

He's not the explosive athlete or two-way presence that Bilal is, but he's the slinky, smooth, versatile scorer in this draft, more like a Brandon Ingram. He has the potential to create advantages with the ball in his hands. That's something the Jazz desperately need.
You should be arrested for these comps lmao.

He's nowhere close to Ingram's level of dynamism as a scorer. He's Batum without the jumper.

He's not the explosive athlete or two-way presence that Bilal is, but he's the slinky, smooth, versatile scorer in this draft, more like a Brandon Ingram. He has the potential to create advantages with the ball in his hands. That's something the Jazz desperately need.
Bilal is a two-way presence? **** me, since when?

I can see Topic slipping in the draft. Out of site out of mind. With his injury he is not impressing anyone.

This is what I look for in a prospect this year.

1a - shooting
1b - defense

You need to have passable defense if you are a good shooter or passable shooting and a good defender.

2 - passing. Watching BYU play this year it makes the offense really moves when everyone is a willing passer. It covers a lot of weakness.

3 - positional size.

One of the reasons I am loving Sheppard. Amazing shooting with passable defense. Pretty good passer and if he measures at 6'3" he has decent size for a PG but small for a SG.

I can see Topic slipping in the draft. Out of site out of mind. With his injury he is not impressing anyone.

1a - shooting
1b - defense

You need to have passable defense if you are a good shooter or passable shooting and a good defender.

2 - passing. Watching BYU play this year it makes the offense really moves when everyone is a willing passer. It covers a lot of weakness.

3 - positional size.

One of the reasons I am loving Sheppard. Amazing shooting with passable defense. Pretty good passer and if he measures at 6'3" he has decent size for a PG but small for a SG.
As a BYU fan how are you feeling about Jaxson Robinson? The only full game I watched was against Utah and I thought he looked really good. Just based on his numbers it seems like his big disappointment is the rebounding. For a player with his size and athleticism it seems like he should be far impactful as a rebounder.

As a BYU fan how are you feeling about Jaxson Robinson? The only full game I watched was against Utah and I thought he looked really good. Just based on his numbers it seems like his big disappointment is the rebounding. For a player with his size and athleticism it seems like he should be far impactful as a rebounder.
I was super high on him until conference play and have cooled on him since. He plays ok defense but is limited moving his feet. Athleticism is lacking and other than shooting he doesn't bring a lot to the table. I am guessing he goes undraft. Will play in summer league but probably plays in Europe or in the gleague. Maybe if he gets hot in the tournament or summer league he could sign a 2way.

Last edited:
Reactions: sip
Carlton Carrington has been playing very well to finish the regular season.

1a - shooting
1b - defense

3 - positional size.

Oh heck yes. Look at Sheppard's 3 point shooting. 52.6% AMAZING!!!
1710278412534.png

Since he blows by people and gets to the rim, so.... most of the season.
He definitely doesn’t do that. The majority of his points are on fast breaks and standing around waiting for the ball.

Look, I have came around on Bilal. I’m not 100% sold on him still but let’s not make up stuff about what he’s doing offensively.

He definitely doesn’t do that. The majority of his points are on fast breaks and standing around waiting for the ball.

Look, I have came around on Bilal. I’m not 100% sold on him still but let’s not make up stuff about what he’s doing offensively.
Currently he is like a slightly minus version of Royce o neale on offense. We know there are a lot of opportunities to be had there if he was able. Someday he may be much more I guess... but that day is not today.

Williams is more efficient that Ingram was at Duke, including 3PAs. He's just lower usage and volume.
I guess if you just looked at a stat sheet and make a wild jump in your mind that if you increased his volume and usage he'd be the same player, but then if you actually watched boht players when they were in college....

Also some important things to note on Cody Williams.

Despite being a relatively low usage wing, he has a high turnover percentage and a negative assist to turnover ratio. For someone who has been presented as "Point Guard" by Draftexpress, he isnt nearly as much as a playmaker as Stephon Castle imo.

What he's able to do offensively is not the same as what he's doing playing on that disastrous Wizards team.