What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

There was a big basketball illuminati podcast on this. I love the conspiracy theory stuff but don't believe it. I think the same firm has been the auditor for a long time... would like to see some turnover there.
Oh yeah, I don't really believe it, E&Y wouldn't risk their reputation when it is other billionaires getting cheated, they have too much power. I could write a narrative about most winners.

Won't stop me from putting on my tinfoil hat when the Spurs jump in the lottery again and the Lakers 2027 jumps top 4

I know the draft lottery is audited by E&Y and everything, but when the Spurs get the 2nd overall pick this year and the raptors pick at #7 I'll be putting on my tin foil hat

I think some of the picks are fixed and some are random. I think it's a mix. The rumor was that Wembanyama's camp wanted to be in San Antonio before the draft lottery.

You cant believe the NBA lottery is fixed when Cleveland has gotten the #1 overall like 3 times in 10 years or whatever it was.

Oh yeah, I don't really believe it, E&Y wouldn't risk their reputation when it is other billionaires getting cheated, they have too much power. I could write a narrative about most winners.

Won't stop me from putting on my tinfoil hat when the Spurs jump in the lottery again and the Lakers 2027 jumps top 4

The one that got me was when the Lakers jumped like 8 spots to get into the top 4 in 2019, which gave them the high lotto pick they needed to complete the Anthony Davis trade with NOLA. Concurrently, the Pels got the #1 pick so they could start their rebuild with Zion. That magically solved several pressing problems for the league at the time.

You cant believe the NBA lottery is fixed when Cleveland has gotten the #1 overall like 3 times in 10 years or whatever it was.

The league doesn't always give high picks to the big markets. Sometimes they use them to put out fires for smaller franchises. Cleveland fans were in shambles, burning Lebron jerseys. Then low-and-behold they get the #1 pick to land Kyrie Irving and start their rebuild. Or, Lebron wants to go back to Cleveland, but wants the Cavs to trade for Kevin Love to put more of a team around him. Low-and-behold, the Cavs get the #1 pick, draft Wiggins and trade him to Minnesota for Kevin Love.

Not sure what that Anthony Bennett thing was though.

Castle really is a more athletic JHS w/ less lead guard opportunities and probably a worse overall jumper.

When I watch Castle's set shot, along with his hesitation to shoot, it's pretty bad. Not beyond hope, but he lacks a lot of rhythm as a spot up shooter.

The lotto isn't fixed by the way. If it is they need to write a better script. Its just fun to say "what if" in a tongue and cheek kinda way.

Castle really is a more athletic JHS w/ less lead guard opportunities and probably a worse overall jumper.

When I watch Castle's set shot, along with his hesitation to shoot, it's pretty bad. Not beyond hope, but he lacks a lot of rhythm as a spot up shooter.

He has zero confidence in his shot, it's a real concern. He's had games where he pulls up confidently and it looks pretty good, and that give me some confidence.

I'm not a expert in shooting form or anything, but his shooting motion seems like the kind of shot that I've seen dramatically improved over time in the NBA.

He has zero confidence in his shot, it's a real concern. He's had games where he pulls up confidently and it looks pretty good, and that give me some confidence.

I'm not a expert in shooting form or anything, but his shooting motion seems like the kind of shot that I've seen dramatically improved over time in the NBA.
I'm not concerned about his shot at all. In highschool he seemed to have a ton of confidence in his outside shot and I think with an offseason of getting up a ton of shots he will be back to that level.

I'm not concerned about his shot at all. In highschool he seemed to have a ton of confidence in his outside shot and I think with an offseason of getting up a ton of shots he will be back to that level.
He was a pretty bad HS shooter, both from the FT line and the 3pt line. I think he shot 30% his senior year. Not sure he ever shot over 70% from the FT line any season. Any HS scouting report you read about him said he lacked confidence in his shot.

Having no concern about his jumper is just bad evaluation.

This is where the Jazz need to pay a **** ton of money to one of the shot gurus. Chip England in OKC now I believe or the Pelicans have a dude that has been killing it. Forgot his name. If I was a team I'd throw some huge money at one of these types. In a salary cap league where you are investing so much money I think this is one of the inefficiencies. I say this while having zero idea how much they actually make.

We've had some success or guys have had some success improving here but not sure if there is someone that it is attributable to. I don't think anyone can learn to shoot it well... but it seems like teams are having success getting guys to adequate/good levels more and more.

He was a pretty bad HS shooter, both from the FT line and the 3pt line. I think he shot 30% his senior year. Not sure he ever shot over 70% from the FT line any season. Any HS scouting report you read about him said he lacked confidence in his shot.

Having no concern about his jumper is just bad evaluation.
No concern at all.

This is where the Jazz need to pay a **** ton of money to one of the shot gurus. Chip England in OKC now I believe or the Pelicans have a dude that has been killing it. Forgot his name. If I was a team I'd throw some huge money at one of these types. In a salary cap league where you are investing so much money I think this is one of the inefficiencies. I say this while having zero idea how much they actually make.

We've had some success or guys have had some success improving here but not sure if there is someone that it is attributable to. I don't think anyone can learn to shoot it well... but it seems like teams are having success getting guys to adequate/good levels more and more.
The Jazz have an assistant coach who's primary job is to review challenge calls so they can determine what calls have the best chance of being overturned for coach's challenges. I find it hard to believe there isnt an assistant on the roster who specializes in shooting.

And how much of being a shot "guru" is just marketing? I think teams like OKC/SAS have had success at making players better shooters because they draft players who are committed to working on their game more than any individual coach. I'm sure there are coaches who are better coaching shooting than others, but I dont think it's this top secret thing that only a handful of coaches can do.

The Jazz have an assistant coach who's primary job is to review challenge calls so they can determine what calls have the best chance of being overturned for coach's challenges. I find it hard to believe there isnt an assistant on the roster who specializes in shooting.

And how much of being a shot "guru" is just marketing? I think teams like OKC/SAS have had success at making players better shooters because they draft players who are committed to working on their game more than any individual coach. I'm sure there are coaches who are better coaching shooting than others, but I dont think it's this top secret thing that only a handful of coaches can do.
No ****. They have development coaches. I’d pay to get THE guru.

About 95% marketing. Maybe more lol.

Lauri has had the best two shooting seasons of his career with the Jazz.

Jazz must have a shooting guru on the staff.

Sexton spent his off-season in Utah and is now having the best shooting year of his career.

Since joining the Jazz, Kris Dunn is now a respectable wide open set shooter.

Simone went from 33% to 39% from year 1 to year 2.

I mean, someone could write on article attributing all these wins to the person the Jazz have on staff and you can suddenly build a guru.

I dont think I've seen enough players on the Jazz get worse at shooting to say the Jazz are doing a bad job of developing shooters.

Just start calling the guy you have the guru.

What makes a guru? Is there some kind of metric of success?
OKC before hiring Chip - 30th in the league in 3 pt shooting %
OKC 2 years after hiring Chip - 1st in the league in 3 pt shooting %

They added a few dudes but you can just look at the improvement of several dudes and see the success.

If dudes have multiple notable successes then I'm going to believe they are doing something right. While there may be no secret sauce I'd go ahead and pay the premium for the guys who have a track record of massive success to find out.

About 95% marketing. Maybe more lol.
I mean if there are no expert skill coaches we should just buy everyone Steph's online program and hire a few ball boys to work as rebounders.