What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Most likely gm's from teams without a 1st rd pick so they aren't overly invested in this draft and want to make themselves feel better.
partly... but also that has been the narrative day one with this draft.

If this is similar to 2013 (the Anthony Bennett draft) then it has 3 all stars... one of which is an MVP and one of which is a multi-time DPOY.

That was 2013, another funky class.
2016 had 6 all-stars. I think 2016 is safely going to be a better draft than this year. If it really is true this is a terrible draft year I think it would look like maybe the 2000 draft. Still 3 all-stars but one was Magloire so let's call that 2 all-stars.

If this is similar to 2013 (the Anthony Bennett draft) then it has 3 all stars... one of which is an MVP and one of which is a multi-time DPOY.
And maybe this is me being prisoner of the moment. But even if the decade since then the talent level in the league has increased dramatically. I think drafts where you go down the list a decade later and hardly recognize most of the names are just a thing of the past. There is great talent all around the world these days.

Even if this class ends up not being great by your criteria of all-stars (a distinction that is getting harder and harder to achieve with the league talent level continuing to grow.) I think every draft for the foreseeable future will be filled with tons of legit, contributing NBA players who are in the league for a long time. There is simply too much talent worldwide for that to not be the case. If this class isn't at least that I guess I'll take a big massive L. But I feel pretty strongly about it.

2016 had 6 all-stars. I think 2016 is safely going to be a better draft than this year. If it really is true this is a terrible draft year I think it would look like maybe the 2000 draft. Still 3 all-stars but one was Magloire so let's call that 2 all-stars.
Does Ben Simmons contribute to that all star count?

Does Ben Simmons contribute to that all star count?
Yes. I don't think all-stars are the only way to evaluate a draft but when I go to basketball reference and click on a draft its an easy number to see. So that's why I use that... just an FYI.

Either way I like the narrative that the draft sucks. I think GMs might think they are better at predicting this type of stuff than they actually are. So if this draft is cheap I’m buying… and it it means other draft pick in the future and other players get you more bang for your buck… I’m selling.

Wait till the annual player or two you thought would declare goes back to school.

There's always potential for guys to way out perform their draft position, but the draft is both bad at the top and mediocre throughout w/ really bad depth.

I can't even make a big board past 20.

Last edited:
Wait till the annual player or two you thought would declare goes back to school.

There's always potential for guys to way out perform their draft position, but the draft is both bad at the top and mediocre throughout w/ really bad depth.

I can't even make a big board past 20.
Are Dillon Jones and Zach Edey both in that top 20?

As this draft is looking less and less exciting for prospects, I keep wishing we could have done better at trade deadline and just given up the draft pick this year. I obviously want us to get good players, but better to convey in a year where the draft is this weak. A pick around 9 this year doesn't sound any better than a mid first round pick in a good year. The Jazz were actually fun to watch until the trade deadline and now it is really bad basketball. Hard to believe we couldn't get at least a decent rotation player at the deadline.

Don't be fooled and listen to these talking heads. This year's draft has some great prospects in it. How many of them become true difference-makers, time will tell as always.