What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I saw a tweet that showed his rim protection numbers were slightly better than Kessler. He also didn't get played off the floor in space but has a better team around him? I think he's a better prospect but might end up being pretty similar.

I wouldn't qualm if you said he was better, but I don't think it can be that much better. Kessler was pretty crazy in college, he had two triple doubles with blocks. That has translated to the NBA as well. The FO may be down on Kessler, and I wouldn't even say I'm on him either....but he is legitimately one of the best rim protectors in the league. If he had just repeated his rookie year I think we'd firmly say he hit on a high outcome.

If I had a choice between the two, I'd probably take Clingan with two more years on his rookie deal. But I really don't think they are that different as prospects and I think their range of outcomes is similar.

Walker had 78 dunks his last year in college

Clingan has 44 dunks this year.

Edey has 110

I'm already disgusted enough at how much Walker struggles to dunk in traffic. Watching Clingan would be nearly doubly as annoying imo.

Walker had 78 dunks his last year in college

Clingan has 44 dunks this year.

Edey has 110

I'm already disgusted enough at how much Walker struggles to dunk in traffic. Watching Clingan would be nearly doubly as annoying imo.
Clingan has much better touch than Kessler I think.

Givony has him top-5 too.
I saw that. I think he likely is a top 5-10 rookie like Kessler was but I don’t think I’d take him that high. Bigs and pgs lock you into a style of play in some ways. So unless they have shooting or other offensive potential (passing handle) with the rim protection I likely am not taking them top 5.

I think he has a higher floor than guys like Holland, Castle, Buzelis, Risacher… but I think for us I would go with one of the guys in that group.

If Memphis stays at like 7 I think Clinton makes sense. Otherwise I think he’s 10-14ish and it’s likely good value.

The thing that Clingan has on Walker to me is just strength and size. He should have an easier time carving out his position and going up for finishes that are more contested where Walker kind of has to rely on his teammates to set him up for open looks.

I just dont know if he is going to do it at a level where you want to give him the ball vs what Walker provides as a lob threat.

But even the fact that we are talking about. You say it like it's a hot take, obviously not everyone agrees. To me that doesn't describe a guy vying for the top of the draft or even top 5.
I mean we had some guys say they wouldn’t trade 8 + Kessler for 1 or only for 1. Seems like Kessler is pretty valuable in a lot of posters eyes.

For me the question is....why would I be in on them? I think Clingan is a really good prospect, but I don't think he's a transcendent talent like Gobert. And for as great as Gobert is at what he does, maybe the best in NBA history, there are still question marks about his place in the modern NBA (whether you agree with the skepticism or not). He's a safe pick, but I don't see the upside.

There's a chance that Edey is special/unique on offense, but I still question how it all translates. I don't think he's the greatest passer/reads the game quickly. I don't think the post up game will translate. Barely anyone in the NBA can post up to begin with, so it's a tough living, and I think he will struggle with the speed/athleticism of NBA defenses when they bring doubles. He will be a very good play finisher in the NBA I believe, but he's not going to be an offensive centerpiece like he is in college IMO. Defensive concerns are obvious (maybe overblown though).

I mean we had some guys say they wouldn’t trade 8 + Kessler for 1 or only for 1. Seems like Kessler is pretty valuable in a lot of posters eyes.

I see that as a reflection of the quality of this draft versus being high on Kessler. I think Saint is one of those people, don't think Saint has ever been high on Kessler.