What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I don’t agree with this at all. They crushed it last year with their mocks. They have a good gauge on player value around the league and will adjust accordingly.

Agents know where players are going. Like I said in my earlier post, I don't think they are a source of opinion. They are insiders now, no longer evaluators. They are in the business of exchanging information and the includes hyping up players as favors.

Agents know where players are going. Like I said in my earlier post, I don't think they are a source of opinion. They are insiders now, no longer evaluators. They are in the business of exchanging information and the includes hyping up players as favors.
Givony has gone full Woj mode all season. I don’t think it’s bad for him personally as he’s just not very good on TV and doesn’t have another great selling point. Schmitz was amazing at that stuff and I wonder if he regrets leaving. He had more lanes available to him than Givony.

Givony has gone full Woj mode all season. I don’t think it’s bad for him personally as he’s just not very good on TV and doesn’t have another great selling point. Schmitz was amazing at that stuff and I wonder if he regrets leaving. He had more lanes available to him than Givony.

Schmitz is working for the Blazers. I'm sure he's fine.

Passing on a wing because there are better wings the following draft (who you likely won't even get) is so foolish. Creating a problem that does not exist. How terrible it would be if we get a good wing in 24 and 25.
But what if we also have zero wings (basically) and can also play like 4 wings at the same time in the nba if you want? Then what buddy?

Schmitz is working for the Blazers. I'm sure he's fine.
I’m aware but he’s like the assistant to a guy that feels somewhat temporary and ESPN was putting him front and center. I think he had some serious juice if he stayed. He’s so charismatic I imagine he gets a GM job at some point. So maybe he regrets nothing. I’m just not sure I would have picked that job if I was him.

I’m aware but he’s like the assistant to a guy that feels somewhat temporary and ESPN was putting him front and center. I think he had some serious juice if he stayed. He’s so charismatic I imagine he gets a GM job at some point. So maybe he regrets nothing. I’m just not sure I would have picked that job if I was him.
You can't become a GM without any FO experience.

Breaking News: Creating good mock drafts requires intel you get from multiple sources and not just a guy on a message board saying he feels like Ron Holland will go top 10.

Right. No one would accuse Woj of being a good insider, but I think it's also understood that Woj says some stuff to appease the people that give him the info. Givony is like that now. Back when they started DX, they had a really strong mix of their own opinion (which they worked hard to form) and inside information that they gathered. Now Givony is a straight up reporter. That's fine, but I think wise to consider that when looking at rankings. I do think DX was an amazing, top tier site and resource for draft nerds. I'm glad they cashed out, but man DX was great.

Rafael Barlowe just dropped his updated big board:

1. Sarr
2. Castle
3. Clingan
4. Topic
5. Dillingham
6. Buzelis
7. Williams
8. Sheppard
9. Smith
10. Holland

Coming Next: Part II, I'll delve into why Zaccharie Risacher has fallen outside of my top 10 and outline my strategy for tackling his shot creation deficiencies.

Don't know why people are so upset with me calling DX reporters now, that's what they are. When they rank Holland 13, you know that's on the basis of their insider info/exchange of info rather than their own opinion. If Hoop Intellect ranked him 13, I would know that it's just based on his opinion alone. I think both are interesting to read. Like I said, if DX is low on Holland, it makes me wonder what's going behind the scenes to make him drop that low especially in comparison to a guy like Matas.

Right. No one would accuse Woj of being a good insider, but I think it's also understood that Woj says some stuff to appease the people that give him the info. Givony is like that now. Back when they started DX, they had a really strong mix of their own opinion (which they worked hard to form) and inside information that they gathered. Now Givony is a straight up reporter. That's fine, but I think wise to consider that when looking at rankings. I do think DX was an amazing, top tier site and resource for draft nerds. I'm glad they cashed out, but man DX was great.
There has been a definite tone change. I’m not sure how much it has or hasn’t bled into the mocks right now. This draft is also going to be one of the hardest to nail. I’m guessing Holland pops back up just because of the player type and I think he will measure and test well. He also has history as a highly rated prospect and I think people return to their initial thoughts. This year until like a day before the draft I don’t think I will but too much into the mocks. It’s going to be wild.

Remember when Bronny was top 10? I’m just saying I think Givony knows he needs clicks and info and this stage. Not saying his stuff is any more or less tainted.

I just miss the ominous music change when the DX videos would go to the weakness section. That came in and I was like “oh ****… turn it off before you hate this dude”.

There has been a definite tone change. I’m not sure how much it has or hasn’t bled into the mocks right now. This draft is also going to be one of the hardest to nail. I’m guessing Holland pops back up just because of the player type and I think he will measure and test well. He also has history as a highly rated prospect and I think people return to their initial thoughts. This year until like a day before the draft I don’t think I will but too much into the mocks. It’s going to be wild.

Remember when Bronny was top 10? I’m just saying I think Givony knows he needs clicks and info and this stage. Not saying his stuff is any more or less tainted.

I think it's been this way for awhile. It's just different kind of content than what they used to make. Their old content was A++++++. Their focus on providing everything and letting the reader/consumer do the evaluating was great.

I do wonder what's going on with Holland. Like his season was disappointing, but was it really that disappointing compared to everyone else? That's why I was wondering if Matas is a lot better in practice because he wasn't better in the actual games. Or does Holland have something extracurricular going on? I am curious to see how the 3 American prospects who were once number one (Matas, Holland, Collier) end up compared to the 3 international guys. I feel like the international guys have been a little hidden, at least from the more casual crowd.

Rafael Barlowe just dropped his updated big board:

1. Sarr
2. Castle
3. Clingan
4. Topic
5. Dillingham
6. Buzelis
7. Williams
8. Sheppard
9. Smith
10. Holland

Coming Next: Part II, I'll delve into why Zaccharie Risacher has fallen outside of my top 10 and outline my strategy for tackling his shot creation deficiencies.
Tyler Smith? That's pretty high.

Breaking News: Creating good mock drafts requires intel you get from multiple sources and not just a guy on a message board saying he feels like Ron Holland will go top 10.

GMs aren't going to tell Jonathan Givony what their draft board looks like. You heard from Danny Ainge yesterday how cagey and dismissive he was when he as asked about the draft.

Projecting the draft also requires an actual draft order and workout feedback, and not just insecure twitter jockeys hyping Zach Edey and Hansen Yang. That said, Ron Holland will in all likelihood be considered a top 10 prospect, which is partly why he shut down his season more than a month early.

I think it's been this way for awhile. It's just different kind of content than what they used to make. Their old content was A++++++. Their focus on providing everything and letting the reader/consumer do the evaluating was great.

I do wonder what's going on with Holland. Like his season was disappointing, but was it really that disappointing compared to everyone else? That's why I was wondering if Matas is a lot better in practice because he wasn't better in the actual games. Or does Holland have something extracurricular going on? I am curious to see how the 3 American prospects who were once number one (Matas, Holland, Collier) end up compared to the 3 international guys. I feel like the international guys have been a little hidden, at least from the more casual crowd.
I think it could be a bunch of different things on Holland. Like if I was an actual team that was higher on him and though he might be slipping... I might go ahead and downplay it. Obviously could be some Whitmore stuff behind the scenes (coaches don't like him or he's aloof). Maybe in open gym the shot looks bad too but I can't imagine Castle's looks a whole lot better (though the positive attitude stuff on him likely is giving a boost too).

I just think the evaluators will look at him and say "6-8ish athlete who has a high motor but can't shoot yet... highly rated HS player that ended up in a ****** situation in a pro league... I'm in". I'd be surprised if either Holland or Castle fell out of the top 10 and could see one or both in the top 5.

Don't know why people are so upset with me calling DX reporters now, that's what they are. When they rank Holland 13, you know that's on the basis of their insider info/exchange of info rather than their own opinion. If Hoop Intellect ranked him 13, I would know that it's just based on his opinion alone. I think both are interesting to read. Like I said, if DX is low on Holland, it makes me wonder what's going behind the scenes to make him drop that low especially in comparison to a guy like Matas.
I misinterpreted what you said. It felt like you were saying they weren’t credible which is why I said what I said.