What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Huh... do you think the value of an unprotected pick is the same as a protected pick? Because when you acquire the hedge it is unprotected and is absolutely without a doubt more valuable. I am fine disagreeing but this type of risk mitigation is a pretty basic part of life and business.

Uh no, never said that. Of course an unprotected value pick is more valuable. I’m saying the outcomes are not more valuable just because you have the other outcomes.

Uh no, never said that. Of course an unprotected value pick is more valuable. I’m saying the outcomes are not more valuable just because you have the other outcomes.
So I guess the steel company should buy corn hedges if it looks like it could be a better investment. Okay.

YES IT ****ING DOES??? How does it not??? Are you trolling???

There are other outcomes possible. I considered them.
No matter what the outcome that is the most likely is it falling out of the protected range. So yeah buddy it’s better to have all of the picks instead of one extra spot in the lottery.

You went full dumb*** right now. Never go full dumb***.

As with many of your other analogies, I very much disagree its application. I don’t really have much else to say here.
Go ahead and say how its wrong lol. Its a great analogy. You have not explained how you "very much disagree".

No matter what the outcome that is the most likely is it falling out of the protected range. So yeah buddy it’s better to have all of the picks instead of one extra spot in the lottery.

You went full dumb*** right now. Never go full dumb***.

I can’t understand your first sentence, but yeah, I’ll just say I considered that there is more than this to the one extra spot in the lottery. If you had the Clippers and Lakers combination, there is more to consider than just the one extra spot.

And you know what, maybe I’m off in this made up scenario. It doesn’t really matter, invent your own scenario. Point is, if the “hedge” is important…than you must be willing to accept a worse expected value.

I can see you’re being set off again. Before others tell you to calm down again I’ll say we can agree to disagree.

"I’d rather have a 5% more chance at a top-4 pick with 52% chance I lose the pick all together vs a 5% less chance at a top-4 pick with a 100% chance I keep the pick regardless of what happens." — @KqWIN

Go ahead and say how its wrong lol. Its a great analogy. You have not explained how you "very much disagree".

I’ve already said it. I don’t think the hedge matters much. I what matters is the expected value. The chances of Lakers top 4 is the same no matter who owns the rest of the outcomes and that’s why I say it is the same.

I suppose that in a specific situation teams may want to be more risk adverse and that may change….but generally I would say teams would prefer getting the most value. Different teams will be more or less risk adverse depending on the situation, so I’m open to a disagreement there. I just don’t think I would eat value and pay more for a top 4 because I own 5-30.

When I trade a pick, I will slice it 30.different ways and I will sell each slice of that pick to each team in the league for their best player or interesting depth piece.

Sign me up. A super team created with one super sliced pick protections. Memphis, gives us Ja for the 22nd position of the 2025 pick. OKC, gives us Dort for the 30th position. Dallas gives us Luka for the 1st position. :). Bucks you can 2nd and 3rd for Gianni's. Denver you can have 4th and 5th for Jokic. Lakers you can have 7th for Lebron. Clippers you can have 11th and 12th for Paul George. GSW you can have 13th, 14th and 15th for Curry.

Last edited:
"I’d rather have a 5% more chance at a top-4 pick with 52% chance I lose the pick all together vs a 5% less chance at a top-4 pick with a 100% chance I keep the pick regardless of what happens." — @KqWIN

Again, I considered more scenarios. But go off. And like I said…at the end of the day it’s about expected value. So if you’re willing to take a worse expected value for more safety, that’s a personal decision.

BTW, I wish you would have left up your post where you declare that you owned me in an argument. It’s one of the funniest things on the forum.

Again, I considered more scenarios. But go off. And like I said…at the end of the day it’s about expected value. So if you’re willing to take a worse expected value for more safety, that’s a personal decision.

BTW, I wish you would have left up your post where you declare that you owned me in an argument. It’s one of the funniest things on the forum.
lol you said the the Lakers 1-4 doesn’t matter anymore to us than anyone else because we own 5-30. That’s flat wrong and you did get destroyed by me. You say you’re some numbers guy but that’s not apparent here.

I love nothing more than bashing @KqWIN’s head in. So enjoyable dude is so smug too.

Someone please explain to me how 1-4 is the same value to another team when they would lose the pick if it ended up 5-30.

lol you said the the Lakers 1-4 doesn’t matter anymore to us than anyone else because we own 5-30. That’s flat wrong and you did get destroyed by me. You say you’re some numbers guy but that’s not apparent here.

Whatever makes you happy man.

I’ve already said it. I don’t think the hedge matters much. I what matters is the expected value. The chances of Lakers top 4 is the same no matter who owns the rest of the outcomes and that’s why I say it is the same.
Yeah this isn't explaining how a perfectly good analogy is something you very much disagree with. This is the equivalent of "because I said so".
I suppose that in a specific situation teams may want to be more risk adverse and that may change….but generally I would say teams would prefer getting the most value. Different teams will be more or less risk adverse depending on the situation, so I’m open to a disagreement there. I just don’t think I would eat value and pay more for a top 4 because I own 5-30.
Lets say the Lakers would do 32 to make the pick unprotected. You are saying if you were a team you'd rather have the protected pick and #32 than the unprotected pick? If that's so then fine. I think many teams would see it differently. I would "eat value" to protect the more important asset from having an unlikely but catastrophic failure... and there are so many applications from the real world where this happens. To think its not necessarily a thought or a conversation that would ever come up is wrong sorry.

Feels like Salaun could be this years Bilal. Meteoric rise into the top-10.

He might already be there for some teams. This is the draft to swing on 18 y.o., athletic prospects with standout measurables. Actually, every draft is the draft to do that, but this one in particular doesn't have many compelling alternatives.