What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I think he is my #1 for pick 10. Cason Wallace was my number #1 last year. I see similarities, with Wallace being a better defender (but, Carter still a very good defender) and Carter being a better offensive prospect. That is saying something too with Wallace playing as good of offense as he did this year.

Here is a CBS Sports right up on Devin Carter from the combine:

Winner: Providence's Carter is, indeed, athletic​

Providence guard Devin Carter, the reigning Big East Player of the Year who had a career season leading the Friars while averaging 19.7 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game, showed off his giddy-up in a big way out of the gate Monday with some (literal) record-breaking in the process. He tied for first among all participants with a 42.0 inch max vertical jump, had a 10.63 second pro-lane agility drill time (third best among players at the combine) then set an NBA Draft Combine record for the 3/4 court sprint with 2.87 seconds. Oh, and he measured with the longest wingspan (6-8.75) among all point guards at the combine, to boot. Not a bad day at the office for Mr. Carter.
Why is he so old? Any excuses like growing 6” (knecht)?

He had bad shooting numbers until this year.
I would be so in on Carter but the one year of shooting and the wonky looking shot give me pause. It doesn't have to be pretty so whatevs but it just gives me a little doubt.

I would be so in on Carter but the one year of shooting and the wonky looking shot give me pause. It doesn't have to be pretty so whatevs but it just gives me a little doubt.

I'm not as worried because he has always been a tough shot taker, which has tanked his numbers. He just finally started making the tough shots.

At the volume he shoots it seems hard to be flukey.

I think he is my #1 for pick 10. Cason Wallace was my number #1 last year. I see similarities, with Wallace being a better defender (but, Carter still a very good defender) and Carter being a better offensive prospect. That is saying something too with Wallace playing as good of offense as he did this year.

Here is a CBS Sports right up on Devin Carter from the combine:

Winner: Providence's Carter is, indeed, athletic​

Providence guard Devin Carter, the reigning Big East Player of the Year who had a career season leading the Friars while averaging 19.7 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game, showed off his giddy-up in a big way out of the gate Monday with some (literal) record-breaking in the process. He tied for first among all participants with a 42.0 inch max vertical jump, had a 10.63 second pro-lane agility drill time (third best among players at the combine) then set an NBA Draft Combine record for the 3/4 court sprint with 2.87 seconds. Oh, and he measured with the longest wingspan (6-8.75) among all point guards at the combine, to boot. Not a bad day at the office for Mr. Carter.

They have similar strengths and weaknesses, but I would just say that Carter is much more aggressive, both offensively and defensively.

If you are trying to win now next year you could try and trade back with Portland, #10 for #14, #34, and #38.

Use #14 for Carter. Trade #31 and #38 for a pick in the 20's and take Da Silva. Use 29 on Jaylen Tyson. Then pick McCullar with 34.

There are a ton of guys that are ready to contribute right away from this draft. If the upside from the younger guys isn't as high as you would like, then maybe it makes sense just to focus on guys you know can play.
Lol the jazz want to win now so let’s draft and play 5 rookies next year. Lol WTF?

The spurs were paying attention to my draft as the spurs.

Another thing is that his rebounding, blocks and steals are awesome. Averaged 1 block, 1.8 steals, and 8.7 rebounds this last year. He had 13 games of 10 or more rebounds and one 15 rebound game.

I like him but feel like 10 is a little rich. I love those smart / pat bev types tho
It would be hard for me to draft a 22+ yo in the top 10.

When the Jazz moved back to 10 from 8 I was suddenly a lot more comfortable drafting Carter since now we're on the boarder of that arbitrary number (I realize it's not logical).

I think he can be a combo guard with George. They both play pg sometimes and both play off-ball sometimes. As far as the shooting who knows, but he definitely has the pedigree.
What's his pedigree? I thought his dad was Anthony Carter who wasn't a good shooter.

It would be hard for me to draft a 22+ yo in the top 10.

When the Jazz moved back to 10 from 8 I was suddenly a lot more comfortable drafting Carter since now we're on the boarder of that arbitrary number (I realize it's not logical).
We may like Carter but I would be really surprised if he was even in the conversation for us if we stay at 10. I think we prioritize wings with size over anything else.

I stand corrected. My bad. Maybe, he learned from his dad's bad shooting ;)
The thing that is encouraging about his shooting improvement is that he did it on high volume. It is a lot easier to make questionable improvement on low volume and likely cleaner looks. Judging by his highlight tapes he took and made a lot of tough shots.

We may like Carter but I would be really surprised if he was even in the conversation for us if we stay at 10. I think we prioritize wings with size over anything else.

We desperately need wings, although I'm not super confident in any of the ones that appear to be in our range. Hopefully we get the right one.