What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

If a player is going to come out of China he's just going to have to be overwhelmingly talented. This dude isn't it. It's just hard to overcome being so far behind in terms of experience vs top competition. You have to be overwhelmingly physically gifted or talented, like Yao Ming to overcome that. Maybe Hansen Yang can do that, but it's probably not this guy. He will have to grind his teeth in some actual leagues for years
But what if draft Cui Yang Xi means that we will certainly get Hansen Yang?

Ryan looks like a smart guy and having all those Chinese fans means a lot of Jersey sales.

Seems like the Spurs are probably Topic's only other option in the top 10 besides the Jazz, unless some team is able to trade into that range.

#12 will be Topic or a rebounding big.

To draft Topic, a team needs to be in the market for a lead guard AND be willing to redshirt him for more or less his entire rookie season. That's approaching Sam Hinkie territory, and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to do it. I guess you could argue that rookies don't do a whole lot their rookie season anyway, but that's still a pretty big ask for a top 10 pick.

To draft Topic, a team needs to be in the market for a lead guard AND be willing to redshirt him for more or less his entire rookie season. That's approaching Sam Hinkie territory, and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to do it. I guess you could argue that rookies don't do a whole lot their rookie season anyway, but that's still a pretty big ask for a top 10 pick.
Also guys coming back from an acl is never the same physically.

I’m in on Cody Williams. I see the vision.

I think the vision for Cody would be a player like Shai, but a bit bigger. The chance of that actually happening might be something like 10%. So then you're probably left with a guy who can defend, move the ball and finish some plays. Maybe he can get to 17/4/3 or something. A guy like Josh Howard maybe?

I think the vision for Cody would be a player like Shai, but a bit bigger. The chance of that actually happening might be something like 10%. So then you're probably left with a guy who can defend, move the ball and finish some plays. Maybe he can get to 17/4/3 or something. A guy like Josh Howard maybe?
SGA but bigger, so you are saying he has potential to be the best player in the NBA?

SGA but bigger, so you are saying he has potential to be the best player in the NBA?

If everything goes perfectly, maybe he could become a top 10-15 guy. A player "like Shai" doesn't have to be literally Shai. I'm referring to Cody becoming an elite isolation scorer and on-ball creator, which would be a top-end outcome for him.

Also, a bigger version of Shai isn't necessarily the best player in the league.

My lunch break today was a deep dive on Ajay Mitchell. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good scouting videos for second round prospects, but the one on the bottom is ok.

Offensively I like Ajay. He's got decent size for a point guard. I like that he can score at all 3 levels. He isn't especially athletic, but he is crafty at getting his shot off. I'm not sure it will all translate to the NBA. I kind of see him as a Jared Butler level player.

Defensively it's a no for me. He doesn't have a great wingspan and doesn't have great agility scores, and it shows on film. He has a hard time staying in front of his guy. He gets some steals due to being smart, so maybe he works in a team concept, but he isn't a guy I would want the Jazz to draft.

View: https://youtu.be/FjXraqUzP14?si=7iaajda3I9HP6OFc

My lunch break today was a deep dive on Ajay Mitchell. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good scouting videos for second round prospects, but the one on the bottom is ok.

Offensively I like Ajay. He's got decent size for a point guard. I like that he can score at all 3 levels. He isn't especially athletic, but he is crafty at getting his shot off. I'm not sure it will all translate to the NBA. I kind of see him as a Jared Butler level player.

Defensively it's a no for me. He doesn't have a great wingspan and doesn't have great agility scores, and it shows on film. He has a hard time staying in front of his guy. He gets some steals due to being smart, so maybe he works in a team concept, but he isn't a guy I would want the Jazz to draft.

View: https://youtu.be/FjXraqUzP14?si=7iaajda3I9HP6OFc

He seems like 2 way contract guy.

If everything goes perfectly, maybe he could become a top 10-15 guy. A player "like Shai" doesn't have to be literally Shai. I'm referring to Cody becoming an elite isolation scorer and on-ball creator, which would be a top-end outcome for him.

Also, a bigger version of Shai isn't necessarily the best player in the league.
I mean SGA is arguably already the best player in the league, so a taller version of him would have a legitimate claim.

It's also just wild to project him as an elite isolation scorer when he doesnt currently have any dribble pull up game to speak of.

Back