What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I could go as high as maybe #8 with Sheppard. I think more realistically he'll go in the later lottery. Remember that Davion Mitchell had some dominant games for Baylor. Not saying there's a direct comp or correlation of circumstances, but guys who are probably 3rd guards tend to go a bit later.

** Notices that Mitchell was picked #9. **

TJ McConnell gets a ton of steals as well. Which is why I mentioned him. Tyus wasn't so much of a comp as a level of player as his floor. And I did say plus version. Like I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least like the best backup pg in the league type of player. I could see him reaching a Desmond Bane level as a player but they are different player types.

I'd bet on him as he has so many markers of a guy that might be underrated and he's a Kentucky guard.
Yeah he gets steals. Reed gets blocks where he is putting up a 36 inch quick twitch vert to block jumpers.

Yeah he gets steals. Reed gets blocks where he is putting up a 36 inch quick twitch vert to block jumpers.
Yeah I just think comps are always going to have some differences like that. Players are snowflakes. That’s as close as I could get without getting wild… and TJ with a laser is a damn good nba player.

I could go as high as maybe #8 with Sheppard. I think more realistically he'll go in the later lottery. Remember that Davion Mitchell had some dominant games for Baylor. Not saying there's a direct comp or correlation of circumstances, but guys who are probably 3rd guards tend to go a bit later.

** Notices that Mitchell was picked #9. **
Mitchell was also an older junior who wasnt nearly the quality of shooter that Shep is.

I also dont think Shep is nearly as good on-ball defensively. He's more of a help/team defender.

Yeah I just think comps are always going to have some differences like that. Players are snowflakes. That’s as close as I could get without getting wild… and TJ with a laser is a damn good nba player.
I just dont think it's close at all and is purely a complexion comparison.

Caruso is right there, also white, and is much closer to Shep than TJ is.

Shep is probably the best prospect on paper. Definitely the best NCAA. I wouldn’t quibble too much with anyone who has him at #1. The 3 international guys at the top are nice….but I’m not sure anyone is truly a top 3 level prospect in this years draft.

Eh... its more about the game manager style of pg and the steal and small stature. Caruso is a 6-5 guard with 6-6 wingspan? He's also a lock down guy in addition to being a deflections guy. Maybe IQ is a better comp for Shep if you need a cross race comp.

Depends on what role you see him playing in the NBA. I don’t think he will be quite as on ball heavy as TJ, but probably much more than Caruso.

Defensively, I doubt that Shep will be the on ball defender and guard the guys that Caruso does….but he will probably rack up steals being a pest in the same way TJ does.

There’s no perfect comparisons….ultimately this stuff is just for discussion and doesn’t mean anything. But I see hints of TJ’s game with Shep. I see shades of TJ, Seth Curry, and Bev in his game. Not sure if I’d put Caruso there because arguably his biggest strength (on ball defense) is Shep’s biggest question mark.

Eh... its more about the game manager style of pg and the steal and small stature. Caruso is a 6-5 guard with 6-6 wingspan? He's also a lock down guy in addition to being a deflections guy. Maybe IQ is a better comp for Shep if you need a cross race comp.
6'.45 in shoes with a +1 wingspan. I expect Shep to be like two inches shorter with the same wingspan ratio

6'.45 in shoes with a +1 wingspan. I expect Shep to be like two inches shorter with the same wingspan ratio
Which is what allows him to guard across multiple positions really well. That difference is significant on defense imo.

There are issues and similarities with all these comps. No need to get hung up on any particular one.

I don’t think there is a perfect comp but I think Derrick White is similar in a couple ways.
Agree… and Shep may have a similar impact maybe as white. He’s just bigger than Shep.

Shep is just really good at meaningful basketball things so I’m on board with him. He will be his own thing and I don’t think that’s a negative indicator at all.