What's new

#45- Knicks at Jazz 8:30 Mtn on ESPN - If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

And I know JJ isnt playing well this year, but I still trust the guy on open clutch shots. He just got unlucky tonight.

I wish Hood had been pulled because a trade was agreed upon. For once, though, I agree with DL. Don't overpay. And unless a truly spectacular trade comes along, keep the draft pick. Not saying Utah can get another Donovan. But a legit starter can be had even in the 10-14 range (and hopefully Utah finishes with a better draft pick than that).

Sure, it's not a lock. But to those advocating getting a decent "sure thing" instead of drafting an unknown, I give them two words: Donovan Mitchell. Would Utah have been better of trading away their pick for another player like George Hill - a solid vet with 1-2 years left on his contract? No thanks. Give me a lotto pick, especially in this draft which is pretty strong.

Just got back from the game. This team definitely needs a shake up. It's not "just" Rubio and Favors. This is a curiously cobbled together roster and I still blame most of that on Hayward and DL. Gordon should've given a heads up, DL should've anticipated it etc. etc.

But now I'm even more curious about a guy like Kemba beside Donovan. This would mean trading Rubio, but two ball-dominant guys that can run an offense and create their own shot? Sign me up. I still think Rubio gets too much space to shoot... everything was gunked up on offense.

Frustrating. We've seen what Quin can do. He needs a better roster IMO.
You want Kemba, you ain’t getting him without Donovan Mitchell. Kembas price will be astronomical. This is 90% on Hayward. I don’t even think Rubios here if they knew Hayward was leaving. It takes two to tango but every team sees all the things we see they aren’t just giving guys up and there were only so many guys DL could sign especially after Hayward ran out the clock on his decision. Just because a trade hasn’t happened doesn’t mean DL isn’t trying, but no team is just out there looking to get screwed. Everyone keeps saying make a move, trade someone, etc. but chances are the trade isn’t there, and with losses stacking up there’s no way I want a first round draft pick traded. The guys people want traded (Burks, Favors, Rubio,Johnson)have little to no value. I would like to see a trade as well, but obviously DM and Rudy are untouchable, and a no way we should be giving up a first round draft pick at this point, we aren’t even in the playoffs let alone a move away from the next level. If you’re ready to give up on Exum and/or Hood they have some value, but the Jazz don’t have a hell of a lot that has value they are willing to trade. Thabo would have been a perfect guy to pair in a trade but of course no one wants him now. I’m sure the Jazz are trying but things don’t just happen like some happy ending to a fairy tale.

My takeaways:

- DM was missing his yellow Dame 4s. Dont change whats working rook...
- Trey Burke daddy dicked Rubio
- We need to remove Gobert from all offense excet PnR and lobs. He needs to focus on defense and rebounding, thats it.
- This team is mud. I know its not ideal but we shouldnt waste this opportunity to bring in more talent. #tankon

All I really care about this season at this point is Donovan and Rudy playing together and Donovan could trolling the game especially when it’s close in the 4th quarter. Let Donovan run the offense, make mistakes, take some bad shots, and even struggle at times in crunch time.

Donovan will only grow and get better from it. Donovan took a bad shot tonight, had some mistakes on defense, and looked a bit worn out at times. Tonight is much like the Miami or Hornets game, all I hope for is to be in the game with a few minutes left and give Donovan the ball and live and die by him. Donovan hasn’t ever lost this much. Struggle, losses and mistakes seem like things that will drive him even harder. Tonight was great to see Rudy be Rudy again and makes me feel even better going forward.

There’s also a lot of guys uncertain (or certain) if they’ll be gone soon. Once the roster is a bit more set Quin should be able to stabilize the lineup and we can get in a rhythm of things.

I’m cool with losing close games as long as Donovan is developing from it and further becoming “the guy”.... plus these close games are exciting and at this point we aren’t making the playoffs so getting an entertaining loss just gets us closer to a better draft pick.

I give DL this season, offseason, and next season and offseason to figure this fully out and recover from last offseason. We are somewhat on the clock with Rudy, and then Donovan. We need to be back in the playoffs competing again after next season.

Last edited:
This team is really unpleasant to watch outside Mitchell. At this point I think i'm going to cut back on watching the games and just watch the Mitchell highlights. We need to tank hard, so I want us to keep losing. We cannot make the same mistake we made with the last rebuild--Gordon. We took too long to build a team and we only competed last year after seven years of losing. By the time Mitchell gets into his third and fourth year, I want to have a very strong young team around him. I think that means a lot of losing this year and maybe next.

It's a good thing we got Mitchell because man this team would be really hopeless without him. Almost every other major player/bet the front office made has gone bust. We should look at keeping hood for the right price, but we cannot overpay him. Flexibility is going to be very important and we have to look honestly at the mistakes of the past. But if we don't re-sign him, got to trade him and get something. I think it's probably the right idea by Lindsey.

A lot of these guys just aren't playing hard and clearly don't want to be here. Ingles has regressed to his rookie season in passing up shots we need him to take. He's not doing a lot out there. I've been a huge ingles fan and defender, too. Rubio is a really bad fit. It seemed like we had an opportunity to get Telodosic and that is where DL was heading but we got Rubio because of Hayward's preference. Say what you will about Paul Goerge but man I wish Hayward had had the courtesy to tell us he was leaving so we could try to get something and prepare for it. Acting like he was staying and then pretending that he was deciding until the last possible second really ****ed us. if I was Indiana I would cheer for Paul George every time he came to play. He got them Oladipo before leaving. I am glad we let Hill walk but trading a pick for Rubio was a huge bust. I know it was in an effort to keep hayward and probably would not have been done had Hayward told us he wasn't coming back.

Wish we could move Favors. I love the guy and we should always cheer for him when he comes back in town, but at this point it's a relationship where both sides know they want out, know they are going to break up soon, but have to wait until the vacation is over or can't afford to split up at this very moment.

After seven years, I am feeling pretty done with being the bad offense "good" defense team. It's pretty clear what a doomed road that is. You see how quick the team gives up on defense when the offense can't produce anything, and I don't blame them. I get it. It sucks to roll that boulder up the hill, knowing that on the other end nearly no one wants the ball, nearly no one is qualified to execute the offensive schemes, and all the other team has to do is lock down and double team one player, hit some shots and it is over. Not fun to play not fun to watch. Watching Mitchell--we haven't had a superstar offensive talent in so long. It really is a revelation. He's the most fun jazz player since prime Deron Williams and he could be even better. I hope DL rebuilds the team into a quicker paced, potent offense team. Those are the guys I want. It is where the rest of the league has gone and it is more fun to watch. Anything is more fun to watch then this island of cobbled together toys.

Get well soon Exum. Need to see if you can play. Need a durable team.

Favors is gone, and Im done with him. Never developed an outside shot. Never a monster.

Great guy. Solid player. I wish him well coming off the bench somewhere.

Hood hurt again. I want him to work out so badly. He makes it difficult. Probably wants too much money this offseason.

Would Utah have been better of trading away their pick for another player like George Hill - a solid vet with 1-2 years left on his contract? No thanks. Give me a lotto pick, especially in this draft which is pretty strong.
I agree we should keep the draft picks. However Hill trade was not bad. '16 draft class is pretty terrible unlike '17 and probably '18 and Utah Jazz George Hill was one of the most efficient PGs in the league. His DNPs, which is a common theme in his career, along with his greedy advisers and possibly Hayward drama caused an unhappy ending but the initial decision was correct. Say on a coin flip you're offered $3 to your $1 bet and you take it and make your pick and lose. This does not mean you made a wrong decision.

Hahahahaha, guy returns from injury, drops 23 on 10 shots and some people wants him out of the offense... because he looks awkward? Vintage jazzfanz comedy hour.
It’s funny. He was getting mostly put-backs. Guy comes in and provides energy and BOARDS that we’ve been missing and, despite the outcome and point total, we didn’t look like complete dog ****. Go Rudy!