What's new

8.9 Earthquake hits Japan.

The earthquake was the lead story on my radio station. Of course, that's NPR for you.

Are there more natural disasters in the world lately, or do we just hear about them because of technology?

We know and hear about more because of the technology.

Japan and Hawaii will recover. I wonder how many islands that are not as technologically advanced will endure proportaionately larger tragedies, which will get no play at all?

Did anyone catch the 90.1 Radio West program yesterday evening about the Wasatch Front preparedness (or lack thereof)? Very interesting in the light of the recent discussion here on JazzFanz. They were talking also about the Christchurch one and how buildings there and here are very similar. Then I wake up and see this news. I find it fascinating such strong earthquake will do minimal damage to the buildings and infrastructure in Japan (who obviously know how to build).

I thought about this the second I heard about the Japan quake. For how big it was, so far there hasn't been as many deaths as I thought there would be. Really makes me wonder how the Wasatch Front will hold up when the "Big One" finally hits. At least we don't have an Ocean to contend with.

Well, some would blame Bush. So take your pick.

Seriously?

I mean... Seriously?

Do you have any idea how horrible of a President Bush was? For hells sakes...

Ate up the surplus Clinton had.
Just blew up the national debt.
Gave away billions to the rich (to create jobs). Yet, where the hell were the jobs created? If tax cuts create so many jobs, then why the hell was job creation so bad under Bush?
9/11 fell under his watch. He read a book to kids.
Failed to get Osama.
Started an unprovoked war with Iraq.
Is responsible for literally thousands of deaths. Many civilians in Iraq would still be alive today had he not destroyed their lives. Many Americans would still be alive today and have their limbs still.
Failed miserably in Katrina.
Offended our allies.
Gave the finger to Germany and France. Ummmmmm they might knew stuff we don't.
And the greatest financial meltdown in nearly a century came under his watch.

A better question might be, what the hell did Bush do right?

I get the picture, blaming Presidents for earthquakes is absurd. But the way some people exaggerate Bush's incompetence as a way of defending him is just ridiculous. If there was any President responsible for some kind of obscure natural devastation it would have to be Bush because he sucked so bad.

Lets put Bush into sports terms so that some of you can understand, he's Ryan Leaf, with Kwame Brown's intelligence, Oden's knees, and Ostertag's heart.

Putting Bush into celebrity terms so the rest of you can understand would be like Charlie Sheen having a baby with Lindsay Lohan with Mel Gibson as the Godfather and Paris Hilton as the midwife.

It will be both interesting (and horrifying) once the sun rises in Japan today....

It's admirable how orderly and calm the Japanese people have been (so far) amidst this tragedy.

Was the epicenter actually in Japan or somewhere off the coast? I heard the damage isn't nearly as bad in the south...

Just an honest question, so all this aid and naval operations that we're going to send/perform in the next few weeks, who's going to pay for it and where does the money come from?

Also, how much more devastating could this be if a few nuclear reactors suffer meltdowns?

How does this impact the global recovery?

godzilla_poster_430.jpg

I blame Palin. She's the only one with enough vitriol to wreak this type of devastation.

Seriously this is some horrific stuff. :(

Seriously?

I mean... Seriously?

Do you have any idea how horrible of a President Bush was? For hells sakes...

Ate up the surplus Clinton had.
Just blew up the national debt.
Gave away billions to the rich (to create jobs). Yet, where the hell were the jobs created? If tax cuts create so many jobs, then why the hell was job creation so bad under Bush?
9/11 fell under his watch. He read a book to kids.
Failed to get Osama.
Started an unprovoked war with Iraq.
Is responsible for literally thousands of deaths. Many civilians in Iraq would still be alive today had he not destroyed their lives. Many Americans would still be alive today and have their limbs still.
Failed miserably in Katrina.
Offended our allies.
Gave the finger to Germany and France. Ummmmmm they might knew stuff we don't.
And the greatest financial meltdown in nearly a century came under his watch.

A better question might be, what the hell did Bush do right?

I get the picture, blaming Presidents for earthquakes is absurd. But the way some people exaggerate Bush's incompetence as a way of defending him is just ridiculous. If there was any President responsible for some kind of obscure natural devastation it would have to be Bush because he sucked so bad.

Lets put Bush into sports terms so that some of you can understand, he's Ryan Leaf, with Kwame Brown's intelligence, Oden's knees, and Ostertag's heart.

Putting Bush into celebrity terms so the rest of you can understand would be like Charlie Sheen having a baby with Lindsay Lohan with Mel Gibson as the Godfather and Paris Hilton as the midwife.

Not much of a Bush guy myself, and I'm pretty impressed with your rant, but I'll take you to task on the issue of 9-11 happening under Bush's watch.

The first time I read about Osama Bin Laden was in a Time Magazine article during the Clinton era. The article talked about Osama creating terrorist training camps with the sole intention of making attacks on American soil. Several high-ranking military officers as well as intelligence agents were warning the Clinton administration and begging them to take action before the fight was brought to our shores.

Clinton chose to do nothing and 9 months into Bush's term the 9-11 attacks happened. Do you really think those attacks were planned and executed to near perfection in under 9 months? To try and pass that off as a Bush mishap is self serving and intellectually lazy.

Another slur. Nice. How do you reconcile your feelings of white power with your religion?

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that stating a well documented fact was tantamount to a slur. My bad. You know how us folks from Utahr are...

Also, Thriller, please -- for the love of God -- stop talking. You are the Beantown of the left, and we don't appreciate you speaking for us. You're an idiot of the highest degree. Please stop.