What's new

9/11/2010 Burn a Koran Day

I would think you were marginally less crazy if there were some actual source behind the belief. For example, I don't believe in the Pope per se but if you did and you showed me where the Pope said the U.S. is divinely inspired I wouldn't think you were crazy; I'd just think you were wrong.

So which is it: crazy (i.e. no real basis at all) or wrong (i.e. no basis that you and I can personally agree upon)?

How about quotes from people that were present during the creation of the U.S. and the writing of the Constitution? Does anything that people such as George Washington, Ben Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, etc. have to say on the matter carry any weight with you?

No People can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, first inaugural address, Apr. 30, 1789

By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to John A. Washington, Jul. 18, 1755

I can provide you with dozens of quotes from Washington referring to God, Providence and divine intervention.

"Before God, I believe the hour has come. My judgement approves this measure, and my whole heart is in it. All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it. And I leave off as I began, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration. It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment. Independence now, and Independence for ever!"

John Adams, July 1, 1776

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end ofthis continent to the other, from this time forward forever."

"You will think me transported with enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the gloom I can see the rays of ravishing light and glory I can see that the end is worth more than all the means; that posterity will triumph in that day's transaction, even though we [may regret] it, which I trust in God we shall not."

John Adams, July 3rd, 1776

Do you want more from Adams?

It is the duty of mankind on all suitable occasions to acknowledge their dependence on the Divine Being... [that] Almighty God would mercifully interpose and still the rage of war among the nations...[and that] He would take this province under his protection, confound the designs and defeat the attempts of its enemies, and unite our hearts and strengthen our hands in every undertaking that may be for the public good, and for our defense and security in this time of danger.

I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that he made the world, and governed it by his Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded either here or hereafter.

Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature.

The pleasures of this world are rather from God's goodness than our own merit.

Benjamin Franklin, July 1776 on declaring independence from England

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth--that God Governs the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?

We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that "except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments by Human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move--that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessing on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.

Benjamin Franklin, Congressional Congress 1787

For my part, I sincerely esteem it a system which, without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests.

Alexander Hamilton on the Constitution

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."

Patrick Henry March 23rd, 1775

"When the great work was done and published, I was ... struck with amazement. Nothing less than that superintending hand of Providence, that so miraculously carried us through the war, ... could have brought it about so complete, upon the whole ."

Charles Pinckney on the Constitution

"Yet that we may not appear to be defective even in earthly honors, let a day be solemnly set apart for proclaiming the charter; let it be placed on the divine law, the Word of God; let a crown be placed thereon.

Thomas Paine on the Constitution

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."

Daniel Webster

Just the good ones, duh.

Not necessarily. The founding of anything by divine inspiration can be screwed up by future generations or the machinations of man. Just because it is currently evil does not mean that the original intent or creation was not divinely inspired.

Last edited:
Marcus, you do realize you're arguing with Kicky right? The same guy that said that Mormons asking for their temple ceremonies not to be shown/discussed outside of the temple because it's considered sacred and respectful is not a valid reason, right?

How about quotes from people that were present during the creation of the U.S. and the writing of the Constitution? Does anything that people such as George Washington, Ben Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, etc. have to say on the matter carry any weight with you?

I can provide you with dozens of quotes from Washington referring to God, Providence and divine intervention.

Do you want more from Adams?

Not necessarily. The founding of anything by divine inspiration can be screwed up by future generations or the machinations of man. Just because it is currently evil does not mean that the original intent or creation was not divinely inspired.

The gosh darn handy thing 'bout the word "God" is dat you can jus' assume it means the same ting for evrybody, for all damn time!!! Hell, Washington muss have meant the same ting as lil' ol me, Marcus Asscooker! Shiiiii...

Maybe you should look up the word Deism, which is essentially a way of acknowledging God as a clockmaker who created and wound-up the universe, then doesn't lay a hand on it.... even for the creation of such a glorious nation like the USA. And then perhaps you should realize that you don't know dick about American history. clearly.

The gosh darn handy thing 'bout the word "God" is dat you can jus' assume it means the same ting for evrybody, for all damn time!!! Hell, Washington muss have meant the same ting as lil' ol me, Marcus Asscooker! Shiiiii...

Maybe you should look up the word Deism, which is essentially a way of acknowledging God as a clockmaker who created and wound-up the universe, then doesn't lay a hand on it.... even for the creation of such a glorious nation like the USA. And then perhaps you should realize that you don't know dick about American history. clearly.

Nice retort except that I simply said the US was divinely inspired. That's a pretty broad statement. That said, many of the founding fathers do reference God and Christ specifically.

Seems to me that you are trying rewrite American history to fit your own belief system. I'm not the one that is referencing God, Providence and Christ. It is the men that declared independence, fought the Revolution and wrote the Constitution. How you seem to think you know more than the men that were actually there is beyond belief.

If they said what you are trying to defend, that would put you on the wrong side of Sirkickyass's dichotomy.

Washington#1 was a metaphor.
Washington#2 said nothing about the USA.
Adams#1 invokes God for his personal circumstances, nor for the USA.
Adams#2 makes no claim God is blessing the USA.
Franklin#1 seems to come from a speech in 1747: https://books.google.com/books?id=vdQLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA169#v=onepage&q&f=false
Franklin#2 is requesting a blessing, every day, not stating that one was provided
Hamilton is an unsourced quote, and considering the quality of the quotes so far presented, probably a fabrication.
Henry's quote dates before the Declaration of Independence.
Adding more context to Pinckney's quote shows it's not a suggestion of divine endorsement.
When the great work was done and published, I was not only most agreeably disappointed, but struck with amazement. Nothing less than that superintending hand of Providence, that so miraculously carried us through the war (in my humble opinion), could have brought it about so complete, upon the whole .

The constitution recommended, in all respects, takes its raise where it ought, from the people; ...
The quote from Paine was first published in January 1776 in common Sense, again before the Declaration of Independence.
Webster's quote does not even mention God.

Did you just cut-and-paste this list? It's embarrassinly obvious you did not research it, and probably uou didn't even correctly read it.

Marcus, you do realize you're arguing with Kicky right? The same guy that said that Mormons asking for their temple ceremonies not to be shown/discussed outside of the temple because it's considered sacred and respectful is not a valid reason, right?

I believe "valid reason" was not one of the choices ofered in the dichotomy.

Nice retort except that I simply said the US was divinely inspired. That's a pretty broad statement. That said, many of the founding fathers do reference God and Christ specifically.

Seems to me that you are trying rewrite American history to fit your own belief system. I'm not the one that is referencing God, Providence and Christ. It is the men that declared independence, fought the Revolution and wrote the Constitution. How you seem to think you know more than the men that were actually there is beyond belief.

I think it says quite a lot that although many of the founding fathers were indeed Christians or otherwise religious in some way, and expressed as much in their personal writing and in speaking, yet they seemed unanimous in the fact that none of our founding documents would derive their authority from God, but instead on the consent of men with one another. Culturally this is a Christian nation, legally and officially our government is secular. Culture is not legally protected. So if something threatens the current culture there isn't anything you can do by law to stop your version of our culture from being destroyed. Cultural habits change. Cultures evolve and certain aspects of a given culture go away. If "the men that were actually there" wanted to ensure our nation had a Christian foundation then I'm sure they would have put it in writing in our founding documents. Instead they talked a lot about how government and religion needed to be separate for the mutual benefit of religion and government.

Marcus - I think at best you've provided a number of quotes designed to show either that individual Founding Fathers were religious or, interpreted charitably, that some founding fathers believed that they were divinely inspired.

No one seriously disputes that some founding fathers were religious. Similarly, no one can seriously dispute that some founding fathers were certainly not religious. As a result, arguing that the creation of the United States was divinely inspired by examining the religious views of some founding fathers will always be an exercise in cherry picking.

As for the latter point, people believe they are doing things that are inspired by God all the time. That subjective belief is not exactly persuasive on the issue of whether or not their actions are objectively divinely inspired. None of these guys, as far as I'm aware, were exactly religious leaders or claimed to have a direct connection to God that you would recognize as valid (i.e. I don't think any of these guys were a prophet).

Put another way, the structure of your argument seems to imply that if someone expresses a belief in God, or frames their actions as being driven by a belief in God, then their actions must be divinely inspired. This has implications I'm sure you wouldn't defend. For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

A) You have no idea how amused I am that you think you can condescend to me.

B) Your answer was the equivalent of "because I said so." I asked you detailed follow-up questions, some of which were based in distinctions laid out by Mormon leaders, which you declined to answer.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php/1966-9-11-2010-Burn-a-Koran-Day?p=47642&viewfull=1#post47642

The only person who attempted to give a response was Bronco, and his answer effectively conceded that a lot of it had to do with the fragility of the Mormon psyche. Answer my post and then maybe we can engage in the fantasy that you're in a position to behave as if you're above me. As is, it simply appears that you're not prepared to seriously discuss what constitutes offensive behavior and why.

You still don't address the idea that you are using/thinking of the terms "God", "providence", and "christ" in a universal/static manner. If YOU do that, then, without your even being aware of it, YOU are re-writing American history: it all bends to perverted notion that these ideas don't change.

I promise that I'll try to engage with you the second you show a single concern for the substance of posts. Right now, you are just painting the world one color.

Washington#1 was a metaphor.

Of course it's a metaphor. It does however show that Washington acknowledges Providence is involved.

Washington#2 said nothing about the USA.

So? It shows Washington's spiritual nature and belief that it wasn't just pure, dumb luck that he didn't get shot. Why would this attitude and belief system not carry through to all other aspects and occurrences of his life?

Washington's belief that he was spared through divine intervention is very much relevant as he was instrumental in the birth of the USA.

Adams#1 invokes God for his personal circumstances, nor for the USA.

You're really splitting hairs on this one. It is his personal circumstances that are affecting the direction the U.S. is headed.

Adams#2 makes no claim God is blessing the USA.

But he is asking for God's blessing of the USA. Why would one ask for a blessing if they did not think it would be granted?

You are correct. The source I used erroneously referenced it. That said, it still shows Franklin's spiritual nature and belief in Providence. In fact, it was Franklin that suggested each day of the Constitutional Convention be started with a prayer.

Franklin#2 is requesting a blessing, every day, not stating that one was provided

Again, why ask if you thought it weren't to be granted?

Hamilton is an unsourced quote, and considering the quality of the quotes so far presented, probably a fabrication.

What's wrong with the quality of the quotes? Are they not real? Are you saying I made them up? Are you saying they are not pertinent to the subject at hand?

The best reference I can get on this is that it was in a statement made in 1787 after the Constitutional Convention. Since they didn't have video or audio back then this is the best you're going to get.

Henry's quote dates before the Declaration of Independence.

But it shows his mindset and belief that God does inspire and guide men.

Adding more context to Pinckney's quote shows it's not a suggestion of divine endorsement.

When the great work was done and published, I was not only most agreeably disappointed, but struck with amazement. Nothing less than that superintending hand of Providence, that so miraculously carried us through the war (in my humble opinion), could have brought it about so complete, upon the whole .

It absolutely does. How would you interpret the phrase "superintending hand of Providence"?

The quote from Paine was first published in January 1776 in common Sense, again before the Declaration of Independence.

I erroneously typed in the Constitution when I meant the Declaration. Common Sense was Paine's call to declare independence which I am sure you are aware of.

Webster's quote does not even mention God.

True but he does use the word miracle which is often associated with God. Perhaps this reference was a bit too abstract.

You also keep hammering on the fact that several of the quotes I provided were before the Declaration. So? My statement was that the US was divinely inspired. That does not exclude all but the writing of the Constitution. This would include events leading up to the Declaration through the Revolutionary War to the writing of the Constitution.

I'll just leave you with this

"It is impossible for the man of pious reflection not to perceive in it [the Constitution] a finger of that Almighty hand which has been so frequently and signally extended to our relief in the critical stages of the revolution." - James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 37, January 11, 1788

I know, I know... it's just a metaphor.

As for the latter point, people believe they are doing things that are inspired by God all the time. That subjective belief is not exactly persuasive on the issue of whether or not their actions are objectively divinely inspired. None of these guys, as far as I'm aware, were exactly religious leaders or claimed to have a direct connection to God that you would recognize as valid (i.e. I don't think any of these guys were a prophet).

Put another way, the structure of your argument seems to imply that if someone expresses a belief in God, or frames their actions as being driven by a belief in God, then their actions must be divinely inspired. This has implications I'm sure you wouldn't defend. For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

I completely understand what you are saying here. If someone tells me they were divinely inspired to donate their time at a relief shelter this makes sense. Now If someone says they were divinely inspired to knock off the local liquor store and get hammered they're either crazy or just making up an excuse to get drunk.

When I see some of this county's greatest minds asking for divine guidance and then producing the results they did and then giving credit to Providence I have to sit up and take notice.

Last edited:
sort of straying a bit, but I have a question about the "Divine Right of Kings" - - I know that's what it's called in current history books, but is that how the monarchy of the time (in the 1400's - 1500's - 1600's) also referred to their right to the throne? I mean, as I recall, it was sort of "understood" that the monarchy ruled by something akin to "divine right" but I don't really know if it was specifically referred to in that fashion.

a second point is that it's really tough to discern the meaning that words may have had when they were used 500 years ago when we filter those words through the context of their more recent meanings.

Of course it's a metaphor. It does however show that Washington acknowledges Providence is involved.

I believe I understand your position now. By your use of the term, the creation of the USA was divinely inspired by belief in King George III.

You are correct. The source I used erroneously referenced it.

Your source had many similar errors. Why do you trust it?

What's wrong with the quality of the quotes?

You already noted one of the quality problems above.

Are they not real? Are you saying I made them up?

I don't recall using the plural nor attributing the made-up status of the Hamilton quote to you. I am curious if, seeing how unreliabel your source is, you will subsequently disavow it. I expect you will not.

Are you saying they are not pertinent to the subject at hand?

By any non-trivial definition of "inspired", sure. Since you have chosen to use a trivial definition, almost any genuine quote would be relevant.

The best reference I can get on this is that it was in a statement made in 1787 after the Constitutional Convention. Since they didn't have video or audio back then this is the best you're going to get.

Who is the reference? Where did they find it? Made-up quotes are a common phenomenon. Why should I think this Hamilton quote is not one?

It absolutely does. How would you interpret the phrase "superintending hand of Providence"?

In Pinckney's case, that would be "the foreordained outcome from the world as set up by the Creator and allowed to unwind without His interference".

I erroneously typed in the Constitution when I meant the Declaration. Common Sense was Paine's call to declare independence which I am sure you are aware of.

Either way, still not an endorsement of the divine inspiration of the USA, except for the most trivial meaning. I'm not going to bother arguing whether the USA was inspired by the writings of Cicero with you.

I completely understand what you are saying here. If someone tells me they were divinely inspired to donate their time at a relief shelter this makes sense. Now If someone says they were divinely inspired to knock off the local liquor store and get hammered they're either crazy or just making up an excuse to get drunk.

What allows you to say one makes sense while the other does not?

A) You have no idea how amused I am that you think you can condescend to me.

The irony here is beyond epic. It pretty much solidifies how stuck on yourself you are. I gave you an answer which suffices for pretty much everyone I've ever talked to. You simply replied by saying the answer wasn't good enough and it was a conclusion. Then you resorted to the Happy Gilmore/Shooter MacGavin line: "Do you think you're better than me?" Kick, if you're truly better than me, please, feel free to explain.

B) Your answer was the equivalent of "because I said so." I asked you detailed follow-up questions, some of which were based in distinctions laid out by Mormon leaders, which you declined to answer.

"Because I said so"? lol. Not even close. The conversation was more like this...

Kicky: "Why can't people show what goes on in your temples?"

Me: "Because it's sacred and we ask everyone, including members, not to share it and be respectful and because we feel that is something God has commanded us to keep secluded."

Kicky: "That's not an acceptable answer! That's a conclusion. Ramble ramble ramble I'm a lawyer."

Answer my post and then maybe we can engage in the fantasy that you're in a position to behave as if you're above me. As is, it simply appears that you're not prepared to seriously discuss what constitutes offensive behavior and why.

I answered your question already. No one cares that you think you're smarter than everyone. Seriously, we don't.

"Because I said so"? lol. Not even close. The conversation was more like this...

Kicky: "Why can't people show what goes on in your temples?"

Me: "Because it's sacred and we ask everyone, including members, not to share it and be respectful and because we feel that is something God has commanded us to keep secluded."

Kicky: "That's not an acceptable answer! That's a conclusion. Ramble ramble ramble I'm a lawyer."

You indicated that was the "short answer." Then I asked you some very specific questions about a) distinctions between simulations and actual performances and b) why, in particular, the depiction of something that is sacred is offensive. One might say that I asked you for the "long answer" particularly as it applies to some factual circumstances germane to the actual situation that was being discussed.

Your response was literally "You want to know specifics? How bout this. Mormons believe temple ceremonies should not be depicted outside of the temple because God said so."

So yes, your answer was no better than "because I said so." It's the essentially the definition of dogmatic and made no attempt to address the distinction or general idea I laid out to you.

I responded to that post with some statements as to why it's not entirely clear that even Mormons believe that "God said so" particularly with respect to the differentiation between tokens and signs to the rest of the ceremony.

You, to date, have no response to those questions or any explanation as to why your personal interpretation of God's will is consistent with any doctrinal or scriptural mandate not to reveal the temple ceremony.

Why do I think I'm better than you Archie? Because this is par for your course.

I answered your question already.

No. In fact, you didn't. It's possible you are incapable of understanding the questions I asked you.

No one cares that you think you're smarter than everyone. Seriously, we don't.

I'm not exactly running around making lists of who I think the smartest people on the board are. I will say this, I do not believe I am the smartest person on the board. I do, however, believe that I am significantly smarter than you. Then again, that's not exactly setting the bar super-high.

why is the act of filming a simulation of a temple ceremony (i.e. not an actual ceremony) offensive?

Because it's something sacred to us. In other words, it's blasphemy.

Is it really that upsetting that someone who's not of the faith knows what happens inside the temple?
To make buck off of it? Certainly. For any other reason? Certainly. It is sacred to us.

They still can't participate in the actual ceremony nor are they able to view the ceremony itself being carried out in the particular place of worship.

It doesn't matter. They're still doing it/revealing it.

EDIT:

"Large portions of LDS temple ceremonies are publicly discussed in church publications such as the Ensign, the History of the Church, and the Encyclopedia of Mormonism. There are, however, certain aspects of temple worship that are considered to be of such a sacred character that they are not to be viewed by, nor discussed with, the uninitiated. The same was true with the biblical temple of ancient Israel -- Gentiles were never allowed into the three main temple areas (outer court, holy place, holy of holies) and the entrances throughout the temple complex were guarded by porters and shielded by veils. The vast majority of the Israelites were never allowed to view the ordinances that took place in the temple proper (holy place, holy of holies)."

"Many early Christian groups had ceremonies or services (frequently referred to as the "mysteries") that were only open to those who were faithful members in good standing. Would the critics also condemn them?"

"Jesus also taught his apostles things which they were not permitted to teach to everyone, and this was done in private."

"The Latter-day Saints are merely following a pattern of respect for holy things laid down by Jesus and the early Christians (Matt. 7:6). Latter-day Saints treasure this aspect of Christian life and worship, clearly spelled out in history and scripture."

Does that answer your questions, kicky?

Last edited:
I'm not exactly running around making lists of who I think the smartest people on the board are. I will say this, I do not believe I am the smartest person on the board. I do, however, believe that I am significantly smarter than you. Then again, that's not exactly setting the bar super-high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1CvIzRezOM

You may have a higher IQ, but you're still a little man with a man-crush on a Ukrainian. Pat on the back, bro. I still gots chu beat in pretty much every aspect in life though.

Does that answer your questions, kicky?

You basically wrote "it's sacred" a bunch of different times and then copy-pasted a bunch of quotes that weren't really responsive to my baseline questions about distinctions between simulations/performances and the rest of the ceremony vs. tokens and signs.

I do believe, however, that it's the best you can do so I won't pester you about it anymore.

You basically wrote "it's sacred" a bunch of different times and then copy-pasted a bunch of quotes that weren't really responsive to my baseline questions about distinctions between simulations/performances and the rest of the ceremony vs. tokens and signs.

I do believe, however, that it's the best you can do so I won't pester you about it anymore.

Simulations/performances are considered to be blasphemous. Do you know what that means, kicky?

Also, any other LDS people that feel they can explain or answers kicky question, please do so. I'm not communicating very well or up to "par" with his standards. The dude is too "smart" for me.

EDIT: Question for you now. Why can't cartoonists draw Muhammad in cartoons without offending Muslims?