What's new

A rotation prediction from Tony Jones.

I like the idea of using both Exum and Mudiay in the second unit as I think they compliment each other. I was worried that Mudiay was going to be the forgotten man and he's just too good for that.

Our starters are below average athleticism and high skill and our bench is god tier athletic and low skill

LMAO at this idiot thinking Exum will play 10 more minutes than Mudiay.
Well I mean he has never played less than 15.8 minutes per game (career average of 19.3) and the jazz seem to see something in him for whatever reason.

Pretty sure he will be solidly in the rotation if he is healthy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

How do they complement each other? Neither can shoot the ball? That's a rough guard combo.

I disagree, Mudiay averaged about 15 last season, mostly starting, avg 27 mins. Both combo guards with length that can mix it up - Mudiay with the muscle, stop and pop, savvy and Exum with the speed, set-ups (oops, pnr) and excellent defense. Obviously they both have room to grow and improve and I'm confident they will.

I disagree, Mudiay averaged about 15 last season, mostly starting, avg 27 mins. Both combo guards with length that can mix it up - Mudiay with the muscle, stop and pop, savvy and Exum with the speed, set-ups (oops, pnr) and excellent defense. Obviously they both have room to grow and improve and I'm confident they will.
Yeah, individually you can get away with that. But you cant play 2 guards in the NBA that can not shoot an outside shot. They need to play with a shooter at the other guard position. Unless one or both of them has developed a reliable outside jump shot. There is no spacing in that. Teams can just pack it in. Especially when you have a big that plays no offense in Davis with them. 3 guys that dont need to be guarded outside the paint is not good.

Reactions: MVP
Yeah, individually you can get away with that. But you cant play 2 guards in the NBA that can not shoot an outside shot. They need to play with a shooter at the other guard position. Unless one or both of them has developed a reliable outside jump shot. There is no spacing in that. Teams can just pack it in. Especially when you have a big that plays no offense in Davis with them. 3 guys that dont need to be guarded outside the paint is not good.

Yeah, well Mudiay might have that kind of reputation, but he broke out some last season with an EFG of 493 and 33% from downtown. Exum is right around Rubio territory but he's a beast on D. I think they work out. Also, with their length, create some matchup problems and hopefully bring out the best in Conley and Mitchell during scrimages.
Anyway we have a real marksman in NWG coming off the bench.

2nd units aren't noted for being loaded with 3 pt snipers ,in fact most 2nd units are ****. Exum and Mudiay can be very uptempo IF you don't have Snyder at halfcourt slowing them down. Add in O'Neale and you have 3 guys in the perimeter who can get after it.

Yeah, well Mudiay might have that kind of reputation, but he broke out some last season with an EFG of 493 and 33% from downtown. Exum is right around Rubio territory but he's a beast on D. I think they work out. Also, with their length, create some matchup problems and hopefully bring out the best in Conley and Mitchell during scrimages.
Anyway we have a real marksman in NWG coming off the bench.

Exactly, Rubio was terrible from 3 and 33% is terrible from 3. Those are players you dont guard from 3 and let shoot. They would be better off each playing with one of Conley, Mitchell, or NWG. If they both can start shooting well then it would be a very dangerous combo. But that is a huge if.

2nd units aren't noted for being loaded with 3 pt snipers ,in fact most 2nd units are ****. Exum and Mudiay can be very uptempo IF you don't have Snyder at halfcourt slowing them down. Add in O'Neale and you have 3 guys in the perimeter who can get after it.
Don't forget Williams Goss.

Donovan and Rudy’s numbers are too high. Conley a minute or two too high. Ed Davis too low. Jeff Green probably gets a couple more minutes.

And Exum? What I think is funny is that TJ has been reflecting back to the fan base how important the FO views Exum, and even mentions some vagueries like how they think he could be “special,” without elaborating on what that means. I’m having a hard time reconciling what he/they may mean by special with someone who, in their fifth year (technically sixth) he’s projecting to get 19 mpg, unless TJ is really trying to keep his opinion and interpretation out of it but this is reading between the lines. But, then again, this chart isn’t necessarily what Tony thinks should happen, but rather what Tony thinks will happen.

TJ has been pimping for Exum pretty consistently on Twitter, but I've always been skeptical. (Though Jones has demonstrated he's well plugged into Jazz comings and goings). One can legitimately ask, I think, whether 19 minutes per night is a good return on $10 million per year, particularly when you can get any number of at or slightly above replacement level players (which is about best we can say about Exum) for much, much less than $10 million per year.

Reactions: MVP
Like Tony's 'graphical' representation of this... with the minutes and when... but I think Quin will mix it up a bit more. This looks like a 'typical' starters/2nd team rotation, with a few exceptions on Royce and Joe... but I expect Quin will be much more creative - yes - on match-ups, but also during the season, hopefully giving DON, Rudy and even Conley a little more load management. Looking at my position graph of a few weeks ago, I had Conley 30 (-3), DON 32 (-4) and Rudy 32 (-2)...
But like most are saying here: Ed at 18 and Green at 18. These two need to be much more involved, and think Quin will use them!