What's new

A summary of what the Jazz sent, and received (with pick specifics)

D

Deleted member 848

Jazz send:
Enes Kanter
Steve Novak

Jazz receive:
Kendrick Perkins
1st round pick from OKC that will be delivered a full 2 years after their 2015/2016 pick is sent to Philly; lottery protected through 2020-- becomes two 2nd-round picks after.
Detroit's 2nd round pick in 2017
Tibor Pleiß
Grant Jerrett

Source: Andy Larsen's twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this summary. I went to the gym while everything was still up in the air as to what we would be getting. I know it's not very exciting to receive these faraway picks but when those drafts actually come to fruition we'll be excited we have an extra draft pick.

Thank you for this summary. I went to the gym while everything was still up in the air as to what we would be getting. I know it's not very exciting to receive these faraway picks but when those drafts actually come to fruition we'll be excited we have an extra draft pick.

Ya I'm pretty fine with the trade. Really hoping that one of our euro centers jumps over asap. We are hurting at the 5 now.

Ya I'm pretty fine with the trade. Really hoping that one of our euro centers jumps over asap. We are hurting at the 5 now.

I previously read that he signed a 2 year deal last August - if he becomes immediately available I have my doubts that the guy is any good to begin with.

I previously read that he signed a 2 year deal last August - if he becomes immediately available I have my doubts that the guy is any good to begin with.

He as in Pleiss? He's on the same team as Tomic. 0% chance we get both to jump over. We'd just need to buy Pleiss out for the rest of the year if we wanted him. Tomic is the alpha of that team, they'd be fine without Pleiss.

We should have had a trade thread where everybody says what they'd consider a good trade before it happened. I feel like certain people would have thought it was terrible no matter what... But then again... the same people said that the only way they'd consider Snyder having a successful season is if we were 50% team this year...

Yesterday we were talking about Ilyasova and a first for Kanter and I think a lot would have been OK with that type of trade. I actually think the front office did a great job when you account for all the circumstances. Of course it's not an even trade and of course the OKC received the best piece in the trade, but you cannot ignore the context in which this trade took place. You cannot ignore that Kanter is a restricted free agent in the summer. You cannot ignore the fact that he asked for a trade and all reports are that he and his agent have been pushing for a trade for a while now and he wanted out. You cannot ignore the reports about his desired salary and that he's very likely to receive an offer in the summer that we won't be willing to match. We just had to cut our losses and actually get some value for him.

We got a couple of picks, we freed up some space that we can use in free agency, we got the rights to a couple of young players that might not amount to a much but at least we can use them as assets, even if very minor ones.

I like this trade. The only thing I don't like is the heavy protection on the 1st round pick.

so stupid. We needed to know if we were trading him by the end of last season, and this is exactly why.

When this deal was announced earlier, and we all thought we were getting the top three protected Detroit pick this year, I was a little more understanding, but this?! Just damn. I am starting t believe DL doesn't know what he's doing.

I know this bullet point will catch flack from some one here, but I see these as bad moves he's made since taking over:

1. Keeping Ty for the last season of his contract, despite the obvious isses it was creating with our young players.
2. Burning a pick and money to move up to get Trey and others whe we could've had Giannis or Schroeder, Gobert and Neto at our initial positions in 13' draft. Trey's limitations were very known, and while Schroeder and Giais were unproen, their obvious talent and unique body types were not.
3. Signing John Lucas III to mentr Trey. Some say it was brilliant be ause he was atabk commander, but I think tthe truth is that JLIII's prior relationship was more at play. Tank Commaner? No. Bad habit reinforcer? Most definitely.
4. Not dealing Al or Paul at the trade deadline. Reports of Sap for Bledsoe were very real. Yes, we'd have to pay him, but look at us now. We just let one of the players walk, who we suppossedly let Al and Paul go or so we could eventually pay. Stupid.
5. Clearing a log jam of good bigs, to turn around and create another one with mediocre bigs. Acquiring Novak and Booker made little sense. He tried to do too much, and it choed out a good prospect.

Reports are OKC intend to sign Enes after the season. If he wins a title with them, the FO is going to look really stupid.

We should have had a trade thread where everybody says what they'd consider a good trade before it happened. I feel like certain people would have thought it was terrible no matter what... But then again... the same people said that the only way they'd consider Snyder having a successful season is if we were 50% team this year...

Yesterday we were talking about Ilyasova and a first for Kanter and I think a lot would have been OK with that type of trade. I actually think the front office did a great job when you account for all the circumstances. Of course it's not an even trade and of course the OKC received the best piece in the trade, but you cannot ignore the context in which this trade took place. You cannot ignore that Kanter is a restricted free agent in the summer. You cannot ignore the fact that he asked for a trade and all reports are that he and his agent have been pushing for a trade for a while now and he wanted out. You cannot ignore the reports about his desired salary and that he's very likely to receive an offer in the summer that we won't be willing to match. We just had to cut our losses and actually get some value for him.

We got a couple of picks, we freed up some space that we can use in free agency, we got the rights to a couple of young players that might not amount to a much but at least we can use them as assets, even if very minor ones.

I like this trade. The only thing I don't like is the heavy protection on the 1st round pick.

We could've matched and traded later. We got antsy.

Or we could've put ourselves in a position to have known more about Enes and our plans for him before the end of last season, so we could've dealt him with a whole season on his deal, instead of mere months. Big and avoidable blunder.

BTW. Sorry to all about the mispelled words and typos in previous post. I'm on an iPad 2 that should've never been updated to ios8, so the key stick, abd editing is a pain.

I like that we'll have an OKC first-rounder in the post-Durant, post-Westbrook era. OKC will do down in flames.

There just wasn't much of a market for Kanter because:

a) He's going to be expensive to retain as an RFA

b) Giving up a lot in a trade for the right to match Kanter in free agency adds insult to injury, unless you like Kanter as a player.

Now that said, I thought the situation with Brandon Knight would be similar. The Bucks got Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee and Michael Carter-Williams in exchange for Knight. I guess Phoenix must really like Knight, but I guess the real head-scratcher is why Philly just gave MCW away for so little.

Philadelphia gave up MCW and got what exactly? Just picks? Edit: Okay, it looks like they get that top-5 protected Lakers pick.

Last edited:
The additional cap space isn't really anything next year, or for a couple of years. Everyone is going to have lots of money to burn with new TV deal. Yay for us, we got money when everyone else does too, and no on wants to come here, and now with new money, teams won't be dumping salaries for first rounders for a few years!

Yay for us!

We're stellar!