What's new

A summary of what the Jazz sent, and received (with pick specifics)

I like that we'll have an OKC first-rounder in the post-Durant, post-Westbrook era. OKC will do down in flames.

Dude, if Durant and Westbrook leave, we don't get a first rounder!

We get second rounders.

This is lottery protected.

Farm team.

so stupid. We needed to know if we were trading him by the end of last season, and this is exactly why.

When this deal was announced earlier, and we all thought we were getting the top three protected Detroit pick this year, I was a little more understanding, but this?! Just damn. I am starting t believe DL doesn't know what he's doing.

I know this bullet point will catch flack from some one here, but I see these as bad moves he's made since taking over:

1. Keeping Ty for the last season of his contract, despite the obvious isses it was creating with our young players.
2. Burning a pick and money to move up to get Trey and others whe we could've had Giannis or Schroeder, Gobert and Neto at our initial positions in 13' draft. Trey's limitations were very known, and while Schroeder and Giais were unproen, their obvious talent and unique body types were not.
3. Signing John Lucas III to mentr Trey. Some say it was brilliant be ause he was atabk commander, but I think tthe truth is that JLIII's prior relationship was more at play. Tank Commaner? No. Bad habit reinforcer? Most definitely.
4. Not dealing Al or Paul at the trade deadline. Reports of Sap for Bledsoe were very real. Yes, we'd have to pay him, but look at us now. We just let one of the players walk, who we suppossedly let Al and Paul go or so we could eventually pay. Stupid.
5. Clearing a log jam of good bigs, to turn around and create another one with mediocre bigs. Acquiring Novak and Booker made little sense. He tried to do too much, and it choed out a good prospect.

Reports are OKC intend to sign Enes after the season. If he wins a title with them, the FO is going to look really stupid.
Agree

We could've matched and traded later. We got antsy.

Or we could've put ourselves in a position to have known more about Enes and our plans for him before the end of last season, so we could've dealt him with a whole season on his deal, instead of mere months. Big and avoidable blunder.

BTW. Sorry to all about the mispelled words and typos in previous post. I'm on an iPad 2 that should've never been updated to ios8, so the key stick, abd editing is a pain.

I've explained a ton of times why this is not a good idea. First you risk having a poisonous atmosphere in the locker room with a player who doesn't want to be there.
Second matching serious money offer usually makes that contract untradeable, because those contracts come with poisons aimed at dissuading the team from matching - like player options, like trade kickers, etc. This means that 12M dollar contract becomes 14M contract, 16M contract becomes 18.5 contract. It becomes really hard to trade him unless he explodes on the scene and becomes a monster... and in this case you don't really want to trade him... So signing him in order to trade him later is in general a horrible idea. The only reason to sign him is if you think he will outplay his contract and you think you cannot get anything better for the same price.

Dude, if Durant and Westbrook leave, we don't get a first rounder!

We get second rounders.

This is lottery protected.

Farm team.

whatever small roll we can play in making sure that franchise can't get off the mat and dust itself off: awesome.

I feel heart-broken for you <pause> not

I've explained a ton of times why this is not a good idea. First you risk having a poisonous atmosphere in the locker room with a player who doesn't want to be there.
Second matching serious money offer usually makes that contract untradeable, because those contracts come with poisons aimed at dissuading the team from matching - like player options, like trade kickers, etc. This means that 12M dollar contract becomes 14M contract, 16M contract becomes 18.5 contract. It becomes really hard to trade him unless he explodes on the scene and becomes a monster... and in this case you don't really want to trade him... So signing him in order to trade him later is in general a horrible idea. The only reason to sign him is if you think he will outplay his contract and you think you cannot get anything better for the same price.

Agree 100%, but still hate you for your avatar, I wanted that... my favorite all-time player.

I stopped reading after you said poisonous locker room. I know that is the easy assumption, but all indications and statements from everyone around the team contradicts this notion. Enes wasn't that type of guy, and the team didn't respon to him in that way.

I stopped reading after you said poisonous locker room. I know that is the easy assumption, but all indications and statements from everyone around the team contradicts this notion. Enes wasn't that type of guy, and the team didn't respon to him in that way.

Right, the best thing to do would have been to bash his teammate without knowing if a trade was even going to happen. Some people actually have brains...

whatever small roll we can play in making sure that franchise can't get off the mat and dust itself off: awesome.

I feel heart-broken for you <pause> not

Why would we play a roll, when we should be playing a role?

Were you an inanimate object in your elementary school's play?

Right, the best thing to do would have been to bash his teammate without knowing if a trade was even going to happen. Some people actually have brains...

Do you disregard what people close to the team hve said after the trade was announced, or do you still believe Kanter is hated by everyone?

Indeed, that's the easiest way to ignore a point...

Do you disregard what people close to the team hve said after the trade was announced, or do you still believe Kanter is hated by everyone?

No I don't think he's hated by everyone. I just think that there's professional talk, and there's what you think behind the scenes. Openly saying that you want traded is not professional talk because it brings speculation as to why you don't want to be here. This could have been handled a much better way, it hurt himself and hurt the organization, made it harder to find a better deal.

Facts are, we traded a 22 yr old who is shooting roughly 50% from the feild, 80% from FT, added a three-point shot which he hits at 31%. Per 36 minute, 18.4 pts and 10.4 reb player for a scrub, a euro who we'll never see, a second round pick, and first which will most likely be two second round picks. We could've got that value by window shopping the Dleague and just let Kanter walk if someone offered him something too high.

How do some of you, even the most ardent Kanter haters, see real value in this?

Don't even say cap space.

Facts are, we traded a 22 yr old who is shooting roughly 50% from the feild, 80% from FT, added a three-point shot which he hits at 31%. Per 36 minute, 18.4 pts and 10.4 reb player for a scrub, a euro who we'll never see, a second round pick, and first which will most likely be two second round picks. We could've got that value by window shopping the Dleague and just let Kanter walk if someone offered him something too high.

Uhh, cap space?

Gobert

No I don't think he's hated by everyone. I just think that there's professional talk, and there's what you think behind the scenes. Openly saying that you want traded is not professional talk because it brings speculation as to why you don't want to be here. This could have been handled a much better way, it hurt himself and hurt the organization, made it harder to find a better deal.

Disagree that this hurt the deal. The timing of trading him now hurt the value of the deal, which is what I've said all year. Him mouthing off only hurt us because the FO allowed it to. Him speaking his mind had little to do with what teams would give for him. OKC, a title contender, still wanted him, and intends to be the ones to sign him in the offseason, despite already having some of the best players in the game. They just weren't a eam with assetts, and they also know the nature of the deal. What they gave us was for Kanter's remaining couple of months. That wouldn't have changed had he had been silent.

I also didn't like the outburst, but it didn't affect his trade value. It may have got him traded because our FO acted out on impulse, and "skipped steps" backwards," but the fact is: Kanter was still approaching RFA, so the time t trade him was this past summer.

Who could've played 34 mins a night along with Kanter and Favors if not for DL's mistake of the Trevor Booker expirement, who is a player who will be very close to over the hill by the time we are ready. 30 mins a night would've made all three happy. Fourth big is a Dleaguer for a rainy day.

The problem was, because of Booker, Gobert and Kanter were alternating when they'd play more. Unjustified 18 min nights would be mixed in with their normal sub patterns, all so Quin could fnd time for Booker and Novak.