What's new

Addressing our deficit at power forward

Unfortunately due to our problem at PF(which we are anything BUT fine thank you very much), the workload on our center position just skyrocketed. Even two time DPOY Rudy had issues at times trying to stop everything in the paint while securing those rebounds ALL BY HIMSELF. Let alone asking those backup centers to do the same.

Our issue at the backup center as well as Ed's struggle has everything to do with our issue at the 4. Because we no longer have someone like Crowder or Favs who could rebound/cover down when our center goes out there contesting shots. And now our so called “PF”s like Niang and Jeff simply look behind and expect Rudy to help them with everything defensively. I mean, how do you expect ANY backup center to keep up with that?
Excellent post. Spot on!

We are fine at PF... it’s still backup center that is causing issues. Ed can’t do anything on offense... is okay on defense when he isn’t fouling everybody... Tony does some okay things on offense but Quin can’t handle how soft he is on defense.

If you are running out a second unit with Mudiay, Clarkson, Niang in it you likely aren’t going to be great on defense. IMO we should go with Morgan and see what he gives you or Bradley and just decide whether he’s worth a roster spot. Cut NWG now that we have 3-4 bench guys in front of him... backup centers are out there... go sign one if you don’t believe in these guys.

We are not just fine at PF. We played O'Neale at PF sometimes. He is like 6'4". Green played there and he couldn't rebound. Niang is a third stringer on most teams. If Brantley has really improved then why didn't he get some minutes. Part of development is to actually play players once they show improvement. You are going to have to find out sooner or later if he can play in the Big league.

Quin does not have confidence in either Davis or Bradley at the center. That is why he has cut their minutes. Davis is a HUGE problem because he has zero offensive skills. I rather give Tony 15 minutes a night to rest Rudy. The bench is already struggling to score and when Davis is on the floor then it is 4 on 5 when the Jazz have the ball.

We are not just fine at PF. We played O'Neale at PF sometimes. He is like 6'4". Green played there and he couldn't rebound. Niang is a third stringer on most teams. If Brantley has really improved then why didn't he get some minutes. Part of development is to actually play players once they show improvement. You are going to have to find out sooner or later if he can play in the Big league.

Quin does not have confidence in either Davis or Bradley at the center. That is why he has cut their minutes. Davis is a HUGE problem because he has zero offensive skills. I rather give Tony 15 minutes a night to rest Rudy. The bench is already struggling to score and when Davis is on the floor then it is 4 on 5 when the Jazz have the ball.
Royce plays most of his minutes as a 4... the starting lineup with Royce at the 4 is +16.5 per100 possessions with Mike and +18 per100 possessions with joe.

backup needs improvement but Niang is playing fine for a backup. Ed or just backup center is the biggest current issue to me. We can get better at PF but center is the issue imo.

We gotta get rid of Davis he is too offensively challenged

Id just try Morgan there and see if we can hang offensively... defensively it ain’t gonna be great with JC, Mudiay, Niang.

I could see the Jazz and Spurs having a conversation about Conley for LMA, but I don't think it would really happen.

Here’s my big makeover [all these deals are mostly predicated on relieving cap space from guys that no longer make sense on their rosters]:

Ed Davis and NWG to Orlando for Aminu.

Bradley, Mudiay, and Oni to San Antonio for Carroll.

Then go sign Noah, Bogut, or Udoh. I’d honestly sign two of those guys. Then you’ve got 2 more roster spots available.

Conley / Clarkson
Mitchell / Royce
Ingles / Carroll
Bogdanović / Aminu
Gobert / (Bogut/Noah/Udoh)

Brantley is playing well for the Stars rn -- 3/4 on 3s with an alley-oop dunk and playing good defense.

Last edited:

Davis would've been fine if we still have Favs/Crowder at the 4 so that we are not asking our center to do all the big men work by himself. Davis is a help defender, not a defensive anchor. Using Gobert as your metrics on seeking backup centers you will inevitably fail. It's like teams such as sixers/Wolves asking why couldn't their backup centers be just like Embiid or Towns

Royce plays most of his minutes as a 4... the starting lineup with Royce at the 4 is +16.5 per100 possessions with Mike and +18 per100 possessions with joe.

backup needs improvement but Niang is playing fine for a backup. Ed or just backup center is the biggest current issue to me. We can get better at PF but center is the issue imo.
Well did you take into account the number of those Royce/Mike/Ingles minutes were played WITH Rudy on the floor? Rudy made our PF look like a nonissue because he could do two big men's work in one. Same can not be said about most big men in this league.

Having a 6'4 playing at the 4 absolutely WILL cause you issues. You think those teams that are good enough to make it to the Western Conference playoffs will not be able to exploit it?

Said it before and I will say it again, +/- is such a deceiving stats... We all know Conley has sucked for us and despite that, he still holds an overall positive +/- simply because he got to share the floor with Rudy.

While DM, being arguably one of the two best players on our team, gets hurt in +/- a lot because he often times get put in situations where he had to lead our bench consist of Niang, Ed and Jeff.

+/- should never ever be used as the sole indicator on how good a player is.

People know Aminu is out with a torn meniscus right? They actually just came out on the 28th and said he's not healing well either and people still want to trade for him? gtfo

We need a wing who can switch and not be an offensive liability more than a 4. Davis has disappointed for sure but perimeter defense of the second unit is as much a concern. A switchy wing can give us a defensive resiliency and can play with Royce, Bogey or Ingles. Would definitely give us different looks and more versatility.

We need a wing who can switch and not be an offensive liability more than a 4. Davis has disappointed for sure but perimeter defense of the second unit is as much a concern. A switchy wing can give us a defensive resiliency and can play with Royce, Bogey or Ingles. Would definitely give us different looks and more versatility.
That too. Funny how people keep blaming Ed for everything because he couldn't do what Gobert has done for us. Gobert is a privilege/luxury, and should not be taken for granted. Ed would've been fine had him not been put on a team that expect their center to stop everything.