What's new

Al Jefferson?

By the way, for everyone saying that Minnesota "won't just give Jefferson away" or will demand something major for him: that may not be the case. According to multiple reports, the T-Wolves have been trying to convince the Mavericks to simply give them Dampier (plus "draft considerations") in a deal for Jefferson. For those that don't know, the Dampier contract is a unique one, in that the team that acquires him can simply release him before the season starts and not pay a dime. It's a completely non-guaranteed contract.

So in other words, it looks like any potential Jefferson trade would, in fact, be a salary dump.

By the way, for everyone saying that Minnesota "won't just give Jefferson away" or will demand something major for him: that may not be the case. According to multiple reports, the T-Wolves have been trying to convince the Mavericks to simply give them Dampier (plus "draft considerations") in a deal for Jefferson. For those that don't know, the Dampier contract is a unique one, in that the team that acquires him can simply release him before the season starts and not pay a dime. It's a completely non-guaranteed contract.

So in other words, it looks like any potential Jefferson trade would, in fact, be a salary dump.

Yep, salary dump and a pick. And our draft position has to be perceived as better than Dallas' one. In other words, armed with trade exception/expiring contract of AK, Jefferson can be ours, if we just had enough balls to make a move.

Trade exception can't be bundled with a draft pick. Sorry...

Are you willing to put a 100% guarantee on this? :p I knew you couldn't package a player with the TPE but I though I heard draft picks were okay. I'm probably wrong though.

Anyone see Kicky blow his stack in one of the other Jefferson threads? Dude was pissed.

I'm looking for documentation on this right now. I've heard this several times though.

Basically, a trade exception is like gift certificate good for one player up to a maximum value. Since the trade exception is actually the completion of a previous trade, nothing is allowed to be combined with it to "sweeten" the deal ... so no other players or draft picks.

It's a little confusing because the original trade that creates the trade exception CAN include draft picks although non-synchronous trades like this can only be for one player. So it's not uncommon in the INITIAL trade for draft picks to be included. But when the trade exception is actually used, it's supposed to be for just a player and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure about this, but it is complicated so I won't say I'm 100% sure until I find documentation.

I'm looking for documentation on this right now. I've heard this several times though.

Basically, a trade exception is like gift certificate good for one player up to a maximum value. Since the trade exception is actually the completion of a previous trade, nothing is allowed to be combined with it to "sweeten" the deal ... so no other players or draft picks.

It's a little confusing because the original trade that creates the trade exception CAN include draft picks although non-synchronous trades like this can only be for one player. So it's not uncommon in the INITIAL trade for draft picks to be included. But when the trade exception is actually used, it's supposed to be for just a player and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure about this, but it is complicated so I won't say I'm 100% sure until I find documentation.

You are wrong. Cash, draft picks, and draft rights are ignored. Example: last year Hornets sent Butler and cash to Clips for TPE and second rounder.
https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4394050
Similarly Wolves can send Jefferson to us for for TPE and first rounder.

We have the resources Minnesota requested Dallas (which Dallas declined) to get Jefferson. It's just a matter of picking up the phone and getting Jefferson in here instead of sitting pat and hoping for internal improvement. In two years we will need to show Deron some solid pieces around him to convince him to sign. Maybe Jefferson, Millsap, and Hayward will be enough. Certainly sitting on behind and getting stop gaps, like Harrington isn't going to be. We have a real opportunity here to get a 25 year old young, athletic starting center. It pains me to see it being wasted.

We have the resources Minnesota requested Dallas (which Dallas declined) to get Jefferson. It's a matter of getting it done instead of sitting pat and hoping for internal improvement.

I would love to have Jefferson. And think he would be FANTASTIC in Sloan's offense with Deron Getting him the Ball. The only concern I have is his contract. That is were the Jazz well hold back. If it puts them right back in the Lux tax then why wouldn't they just keep Boozer who already knows the system. Unless they find a way to unload AK's contact I don't see the Jazz pulling the trigger on this. Just like they won't pull the trigger on anything else. Its all about saving money right now. And it is killing me.

Just do something to try to improve the team after letting our top scorer/rebounder walk. (even though I was in favor of that for the most part)

It would be smarter for the Jazz to hold on to the Boozer TPE until next off season. AK's number will drop off and we can possibly resign him to a more reasonable contract and then use the TPE. That would allow us another year to evalute Koufus,Fes and Okur. No reason to rush on getting any big guy, we need to focus on the right big guy.

You are wrong. Cash, draft picks, and draft rights are ignored. Example: last year Hornets sent Butler and cash to Clips for TPE and second rounder.
https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4394050
Similarly Wolves can send Jefferson to us for for TPE and first rounder.

We have the resources Minnesota requested Dallas (which Dallas declined) to get Jefferson. It's just a matter of picking up the phone and getting Jefferson in here instead of sitting pat and hoping for internal improvement. In two years we will need to show Deron some solid pieces around him to convince him to sign. Maybe Jefferson, Millsap, and Hayward will be enough. Certainly sitting on behind and getting stop gaps, like Harrington isn't going to be. We have a real opportunity here to get a 25 year old young, athletic starting center. It pains me to see it being wasted.

I can't find anything to dispute this, so I'll concede unless I hear something otherwise. I will say that the press often muddles these issues by lumping multiple transactions together. It could be that "technically" the trade on paper could have been Butler for nothing AND cash for the conditional draft pick. But, it certainly appears that in one way or another you can bundle draft picks. And, I'm all for it if the Jazz can make a deal in this way if the player will make us better.

I would love to have Jefferson. And think he would be FANTASTIC in Sloan's offense with Deron Getting him the Ball. The only concern I have is his contract. That is were the Jazz well hold back. If it puts them right back in the Lux tax then why wouldn't they just keep Boozer who already knows the system. Unless they find a way to unload AK's contact I don't see the Jazz pulling the trigger on this. Just like they won't pull the trigger on anything else. Its all about saving money right now. And it is killing me.

Just do something to try to improve the team after letting our top scorer/rebounder walk. (even though I was in favor of that for the most part)

I have witnessed numerous teams shed significant amounts of salary over the past few months. In fact, even we did it also. With AK on the last year of contract, I am sure something can be done to trade him to get us under the tax limit. Maybe even Wolves would take his expiring contract in return, who knows. I don't think KOC even called Wolves with this offer. And the reason I say that is that Dallas' latest offer (according to ESPN blog) was scrubs like Stevenson and Carrol, requiring Wolves to take on 7.5 mil after next year. AK's offer is much better than that, since he is expiring contract (not to mention much better player than aforementioned scrubs), so if AK's offer was in place, I don't think Dallas would make such a bad offer and still hope to get Jefferson. Basically Jazz FO has done nothing about Jefferson. And this opportunity will not last forever. We can't just keep hoping something great will come up. How much better an opportunity than Jefferson are we going to get?

Jefferson is 25 year old guy, who already averaged 23 and 11 (with 2 blocks) just a season ago and is legit 6-10 athletic guy with 7-3 wingspan. He can step right in and play center for us and make outstanding front court with Millsap. Memo, Koufos, and Fess would back-ups. Now, this is something to get excited about - especially with Hayward on the wing. And all we need is willingness to take a chance and pay a guy 14 mil a year for 3 years, which he certainly deserves. It's not even like Booz's deal, because it is really only 3 year deal 14 per, and Jefferson is 4 years younger than Booz. And when it's time for Deron to decide whether to stay with us or not, I am sure he would like to see a 20-10 young athletic center on the roster. Why not get it done now? Opportunity like this will not present itself very often.

I have witnessed numerous teams shed significant amounts of salary over the past few months. In fact, even we did it also. With AK on the last year of contract, I am sure something can be done to trade him to get us under the tax limit. Maybe even Wolves would take his expiring contract in return, who knows. I don't think KOC even called Wolves with this offer. And the reason I say that is that Dallas' latest offer (according to ESPN blog) was scrubs like Stevenson and Carrol, requiring Wolves to take on 7.5 mil after next year. AK's offer is much better than that, since he is expiring contract (not to mention much better player than aforementioned scrubs), so if AK's offer was in place, I don't think Dallas would make such a bad offer and still hope to get Jefferson. Basically Jazz FO has done nothing about Jefferson. And this opportunity will not last forever. We can't just keep hoping something great will come up. How much better an opportunity than Jefferson are we going to get?

Jefferson is 25 year old guy, who already averaged 23 and 11 (with 2 blocks) just a season ago and is legit 6-10 athletic guy with 7-3 wingspan. He can step right in and play center for us and make outstanding front court with Millsap. Memo, Koufos, and Fess would back-ups. Now, this is something to get excited about - especially with Hayward on the wing. And all we need is willingness to take a chance and pay a guy 14 mil a year for 3 years, which he certainly deserves. It's not even like Booz's deal, because it is really only 3 year deal 14 per, and Jefferson is 4 years younger than Booz. And when it's time for Deron to decide whether to stay with us or not, I am sure he would like to see a 20-10 young athletic center on the roster. Why not get it done now? Opportunity like this will not present itself very often.

I couldn't agree more. +1

Well it happen. No I wish we could get a GM and Owner that would take a risk! Yeah he was slowed by injury last year. But In the Jazz system I think he would be a beast. BTW I have always liked what Jefferson can bring to the table. Real size and a decent shot blocker that has some real offensive skills. And as you stated very young still

The Boozer trade exception expires after one year. The Jazz can't wait til next offseason.

Exactly. Also, if the Jazz weren't serious about improving glaring weaknesses on their team, they would have let Boozer walk for nothing. The mere fact that they got the huge trade exception back means that they HAVE to be serious about making improvements RIGHT NOW.

Exactly. Also, if the Jazz weren't serious about improving glaring weaknesses on their team, they would have let Boozer walk for nothing. The mere fact that they got the huge trade exception back means that they HAVE to be serious about making improvements RIGHT NOW.

That's not necessarily true, either. Getting the trade exception is just basic business in the NBA - the Jazz lose nothing by having it, and they can either use it or not use it. Trade exceptions expire all the time without teams using them. I would certainly like to think that they're serious about making improvements right away (so long as they're good ones and not prohibitive to their future), but simply getting a trade exception means nothing.