What's new

Another mass shooting

Word is this guy is dead. Killed himself.

I wish the order of operations for these SOBs was a little different.

Apparently, our default position is violence, and we spend our lives fighting it - and we never know when it will break loose.

This is so depressing.
We watch lots of movies, action movies mostly glorifying violence.

We play video games, from a young age for long hours into adulthood of which most glorify violence and killing to some degree from cartoonish to extremely graphic.

Our favorite sports are very intense, violent, and year round for the most part.

A decent portion of music glorifies violence, if not that negative sides of relationships and interactions with people.

A large portion of people are on meds with so many different side effects we have no clue what the long term effects will be.

We have constant angry anonymous or non anonymous arguments, posts, rants, videos, blasts online over various things.

Political conversations from the top down to grassroots turn into namecalling, accusations, blaming, swearing, and various other tactics just to win a point.

Basically this country and world is full of emotional violence, verbal violence, hatred, competitiveness, a lack of compromise or listening, drugs prescription and otherwise, and a love of escaping reality by killing something online.

The fact that more and more people snap and kill others when they can’t see reality or think clearly shouldn’t be surprising.

Sure, making guns harder to get sounds nice, but it’s not realistic. There are already so many guns out there that determined people will find a gun.

I don’t own a gun, and if a law change saves even one life or stops one mass shooting Im down. I just don’t see it as stopping more than a few of these. Do it, but we still need to come to the table with something better.

Imo it’s probably something long term and would curb the violence in movies, games, sports, etc. I don’t see it happening though.

People still blame mass shootings on guns. A gun is a tool. Blame it on the people, and help fix people before it gets to the shooting point.

Impossible? I don’t know.

We play video games, from a young age for long hours into adulthood of which most glorify violence and killing to some degree from cartoonish to extremely graphic.

Our favorite sports are very intense, violent, and year round for the most part.

A decent portion of music glorifies violence, if not that negative sides of relationships and interactions with people.

A large portion of people are on meds with so many different side effects we have no clue what the long term effects will be.

We have constant angry anonymous or non anonymous arguments, posts, rants, videos, blasts online over various things.

Political conversations from the top down to grassroots turn into namecalling, accusations, blaming, swearing, and various other tactics just to win a point.

Basically this country and world is full of emotional violence, verbal violence, hatred, competitiveness, a lack of compromise or listening, drugs prescription and otherwise, and a love of escaping reality by killing something online.

The fact that more and more people snap and kill others when they can’t see reality or think clearly shouldn’t be surprising.

Sure, making guns harder to get sounds nice, but it’s not realistic. There are already so many guns out there that determined people will find a gun.

I don’t own a gun, and if a law change saves even one life or stops one mass shooting Im down. I just don’t see it as stopping more than a few of these. Do it, but we still need to come to the table with something better.

Imo it’s probably something long term and would curb the violence in movies, games, sports, etc. I don’t see it happening though.

People still blame mass shootings on guns. A gun is a tool. Blame it on the people, and help fix people before it gets to the shooting point.

This has been my belief for a long time. I find it VERY hard to believe that the rise of violence in video games, movies and tv, music, etc isn’t related to the rise in these mass murders.
Yes, there are waaaay too many guns to effectively stop people with ill intentions finding them.
I’m very pro 2A. I’m also very pro realistic gun reform laws. Will it stop this? No. Can it help? Absolutely.

Really good post. Only part i would disagree with is the end. No guns would equal no shootings.
If we didnt have the 2nd amendment and had the same amount of guns as britain, Australia, canada, spain, germany, italy, etc etc then there would be way less shooting even if we had the same amount of people. Less guns definitely equals less shootings so guns are certainly a huge part of the problem.

I agree with the rest of your post and its too late to really do anything about the amount of guns in our country so we are ****ed when it comes to shootings. I bet if the founding fathers knew how that 2nd amendment would turn out today then they would have done things different. They never expected there to be more guns than humans in the country and never thought every tom dick and harry would have a semi auto gun with 22 rounds in the clip. They were thinking about muzzle loaders to stop the british from conquering us lol.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Really good post. Only part i would disagree with is the end. No guns would equal no shootings.
If we didnt have the 2nd amendment and had the same amount of guns as britain, Australia, canada, spain, germany, italy, etc etc then there would be way less shooting even if we had the same amount of people. Less guns definitely equals less shootings so guns are certainly a huge part of the problem.

I agree with the rest of your post and its too late to really do anything about the amount of guns in our country so we are ****ed when it comes to shootings. I bet if the founding fathers knew how that 2nd amendment would turn out today then they would have done things different. They never expected there to be more guns than humans in the country and never thought every tom dick and harry would have a semi auto gun with 22 rounds in the clip. They were thinking about muzzle loaders to stop the british from conquering us lol.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Disagree hard on this. Our culture here is far different than those countries.

We celebrate ignorance. It’s pathetic.

“Two local law enforcement chiefs told The Associated Press that a statewide awareness alert was sent in mid-September to be on the lookout for Robert Card after the firearms instructor made threats against his base and fellow soldiers. But after stepped-up patrols of the base and a visit to Card’s home – neither of which turned up any sign of him – they moved on”.

Disagree hard on this. Our culture here is far different than those countries.

We celebrate ignorance. It’s pathetic.
But i could have the worst culture ever. I could be super duper duper pissed off. If I couldn't get a gun I couldn't shoot up a bowling alley doe.

I just read that this guy tried to buy a silencer a few months ago but when filling out the form he checked the box that said he had been in a mental health institution so the store didn't sell it to him. Thats nice but he could have just lied on the form.
Why do we even sell silencers to the average person? Why would the average person need a silencer?

Does England have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does Japan have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does France have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does the rest of the world heavily influenced by US media have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes

Does the rest of the world have the level of mass shootings the US has? No.

I just read that this guy tried to buy a silencer a few months ago but when filling out the form he checked the box that said he had been in a mental health institution so the store didn't sell it to him. Thats nice but he could have just lied on the form.
Why do we even sell silencers to the average person? Why would the average person need a silencer?
A lot of hunters use suppressors to hunt without hearing protection, making them much more aware of their surroundings.

There are only a few subsonic calibers that allow a suppressed gun to shoot quietly, and they are still loud compared to what movies and tv portray.

To get a suppressor, you have to pay a $200 fee, file a form with the ATF with photo and fingerprints. It takes close to a year for background check approval. I'm not aware of any mass shootings where a suppressor was used, but it may have happened.

Rather than banning guns, make a background check with mental health review should involve an interview with state and federal cooperation, and the gun buyer pays a fee to cover the cost.

Most mass shootings happen shortly after gun purchase. A longer waiting period is a good solution that has a small impact on gun owner rights but could save a lot of lives.

Banning AR type rifles will make no difference. A tactical shotgun with extended tube and a few pistols will cause as much or more damage.

Banning guns won't happen under current law. So focus on reducing risk. Also, focus on saving lives across the board, including harsher punishments for drunk driving.

Does England have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does Japan have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does France have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes
Does the rest of the world heavily influenced by US media have the same access to the same video game/music/TV/movie boogeyman? Yes

Does the rest of the world have the level of mass shootings the US has? No.
Ya maybe if everyone didn't have guns in america our movies, video games, music wouldn't be as violent. Maybe the culture wouldn't be as violent.

A lot of hunters use suppressors to hunt without hearing protection, making them much more aware of their surroundings.

There are only a few subsonic calibers that allow a suppressed gun to shoot quietly, and they are still loud compared to what movies and tv portray.

To get a suppressor, you have to pay a $200 fee, file a form with the ATF with photo and fingerprints. It takes close to a year for background check approval. I'm not aware of any mass shootings where a suppressor was used, but it may have happened.

Rather than banning guns, make a background check with mental health review should involve an interview with state and federal cooperation, and the gun buyer pays a fee to cover the cost.

Most mass shootings happen shortly after gun purchase. A longer waiting period is a good solution that has a small impact on gun owner rights but could save a lot of lives.

Banning AR type rifles will make no difference. A tactical shotgun with extended tube and a few pistols will cause as much or more damage.

Banning guns won't happen under current law. So focus on reducing risk. Also, focus on saving lives across the board, including harsher punishments for drunk driving.
Yep, looks like there is no need for the average person to have a suppressor. I have hunted all my life. Grouse, pheasant, rabbits, ducks, geese, deer, chuckars. I live in utah were pretty much all my family and friends are hunters. Never ever met or heard of a person using a suppressor for their hunt.

Lets see if that is true. As of right now I keep seeing these AR type rifles being used. Maybe the shooters would switch to a tactical shotgun. Maybe they would use a more typical style semi auto hunting rifle like I have used in the past for hunting. Maybe not. Lets find out. Doing something is better than doing nothing though imo.

Yep, looks like there is no need for the average person to have a suppressor. I have hunted all my life. Grouse, pheasant, rabbits, ducks, geese, deer, chuckars. I live in utah were pretty much all my family and friends are hunters. Never ever met or heard of a person using a suppressor for their hunt.
No need for most people but also not a thing that is connected to crime in any way, so not something to worry about IMHO.

Need? No. But IMO, it makes hunting safer as you can better hear your surroundings. I do have muffs with mics for the range, but would not want them on all day hunting. Like anything, suppressor use is part of the hobby.

I was pheasant hunting on Friday with a group and a few went without ear protection. I think that is crazy.

Lets see if that is true. As of right now I keep seeing these AR type rifles being used. Maybe the shooters would switch to a tactical shotgun. Maybe they would use a more typical style semi auto hunting rifle like I have used in the past for hunting. Maybe not. Lets find out. Doing something is better than doing nothing though imo.
Like I said, can't do that based on current case law, so need to focus on something that will be overturned. Washington had a recent ban, and based on the last 2 Sup Ct cases, I guarantee it will be struck down. Other than putting $ in politicians campaigns, the entire effort will be fruitless.

Never makes sense to me to push a ban that will be very expensive to litigate and you know you'll lose. Put those dollars to better use such as methods I suggested above.

And all of the current bans have grandfathering provisions, so any result will take more than a lifetime to see if it is really making a difference.

But i could have the worst culture ever. I could be super duper duper pissed off. If I couldn't get a gun I couldn't shoot up a bowling alley doe.
But i could have the worst culture ever. I could be super duper duper pissed off. If I couldn't get a gun I couldn't shoot up a bowling alley doe

I should’ve been more specific. I disagreed with the part where you mention the European countries. As a whole, we are culturally nothing like them.

I should’ve been more specific. I disagreed with the part where you mention the European countries. As a whole, we are culturally nothing like them.
I didn't mention european countries culture. I just said they have less guns than us.