What's new

Game Thread Apr 05, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Grizzlies

Added to Calendar: 04-05-22

So the Don to Rudy pass stat is a little bit irrelevant since they don't play together much?

I watched games more regularly earlier in the season and I don't remember them having their on court time together being this limited.

I wouldn't say it's irrelevant, but it has probably been a bit overblown. There are definitely times though when Rudy has a smaller guy sealed under the basket and Donovan looks right at him and doesn't make the pass.

I also want to say that House and Hernangomez show how absolutely terrible the complementing roster construction has been the past couple years on filling specific needs. Ever since the Denver series, the only thing we did was pretend Murray went off because we didn’t have Favors, then we said the guy already on our roster in Oni was the answer. When we didn’t address issues, everyone pointed to how talented everyone was and mentioned how hard it is to find what we’re looking for or said guys floating out there just weren’t good enough or aren’t good for Quin’s system or something.

House wasn’t some shrewd find from them scouring the league. He was floating out there picking up 10-days. We didn’t make any move for him. We waited until we were absolutely COVID depleted to sign him to a COVID exemption. We didn’t lock him up because we wanted “flexibility.” When nothing came around, we finally committed.

Juancho wasn’t on a radar. We took a salary dump to clear $3M this year but had to swallow $5M next year of NAW’s deal. Juancho came back as salary balancing as essentially an expiring contract. If they could have not taken him in the deal, they wouldn’t have. But here he ends up fitting within the system and bringing some much needed energy and hustle and being active.

We have both of these guys by absolute fluke and definitely not by the FO being proactive. Imagine what we could have done if we were actually looking for the right people all along. Showing that you can completely luck into two guys off the scrap heap flies in the face of all the learned helplessness about “aw shucks, there’s just no way to get better.”
I'd say the jury is still out on how impactful House and Juancho will be in the playoffs for us.

Not because I don't fully believe in them - but because Quin doesn't.

I haven't watched many games lately, I did watch tonight. House blew my ****ing mind. Like I was reconceptualizing what basketball could be after a couple of his more impressive plays. I was imagining basketball played in FFW mode. This guy seemed like he could do things in 1/4 the time it would take a normal human to do that thing.

I haven't watched many games lately, but that said, House has my eyebrows raised long past the time they should be. I'm intrigued.
It’s weird what can happen when we have a dynamic 3 in the game.

The amount of sheer negativity throughout this thread is staggering. Whatever happened to watching a game and appreciating the good things?

Happy for the W. Let's keep it going.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

So the Don to Rudy pass stat is a little bit irrelevant since they don't play together much?

I watched games more regularly earlier in the season and I don't remember them having their on court time together being this limited.
Lmao

For whatever it's worth, I watched how many times the Jazz tried to pass it into Gobert either near the rim or on the move toward it. That happened 17 times in the game.

They ended up with 13 points from those possessions.

At least 5 or 6 ended up in turnovers (I wasn't counting those as closely).

I just looked it up, Doka has 96 pts in the nba over his first two seasons. So basically the same amount of pts that Bane would have in a typical week. I know I know, Lopo wants us to be positive, but I think we might’ve ****ed that draft up.

My takeaways:

1. House is much better than Royce. Why haven’t we made getting a dynamic 3 a priority? How many draft picks have we wasted without addressing this position?

2. Juancho needs burn. Gay looks gone. Why not give Juancho some burn?

3. Long 3s and 4s still give us trouble. We need to figure that out fast. I’d like to see more Juancho or Pascal. No more Gay and limit Bogey if he’s clearly getting abused as he was with Jackson tonight.

4. The Grizz were the 8th seed last year. They nearly beat us in salt lake in a must win game for us without Ja and Baby Dwill. We really need to work harder defensively to get easier buckets.

5. Seriously, can we get Brooks a DNA test? How old was Deron when he impregnated Brooks’ mom?

For whatever it's worth, I watched how many times the Jazz tried to pass it into Gobert either near the rim or on the move toward it. That happened 17 times in the game.

They ended up with 13 points from those possessions.

At least 5 or 6 ended up in turnovers (I wasn't counting those as closely).

So if I understand that correctly, that would be 0.73 points per possession (on feeding Gobert toward the rim)?

The worst offense in the NBA, Orlando averages 1.03 PPP

So if I understand that correctly, that would be 0.73 points per possession (on feeding Gobert toward the rim)?

The worst offense in the NBA, Orlando averages 1.03 PPP
Just one game of course. It may not always be like this. Haven't done that research. But just pointing out that a game where Rudy does great (as he did -- another 20/20 performance) isn't necessarily evidence that the Jazz should emphasize feeding him more.

I just looked it up, Doka has 96 pts in the nba over his first two seasons. So basically the same amount of pts that Bane would have in a typical week. I know I know, Lopo wants us to be positive, but I think we might’ve ****ed that draft up.
I have said that we messed that draft up. And this last one too. I'm not all fairytales and rainbows, but I do aim to be objective as much as possible.

I am glad we won a close game against a good team, should get us a bit of confidence we desperately need. That said we were also lucky cause again we were making stupid mistakes at the end.

I am glad we won a close game against a good team, should get us a bit of confidence we desperately need. That said we were also lucky cause again we were making stupid mistakes at the end.
They were however, down Ja and Brooks and took us to OT in a must win game for us.

I mean… guys.

They were however, down Ja and Brooks and took us to OT in a must win game for us.

I mean… guys.

Yes, the same team who was 20-2 without Ja. They must be pretty good. Their win percentage without Ja is much better than with him.
Its true they are good without Ja and they will be better with him... Donovan also had one of the ********* games he's had and we didn't shoot the ball particularly well. Its actually nice to get a win we have to grind out a bit.

The only concerning thing is just the anxiety/choking at the end... I mean we were like 2/10 from the free throw line at one point... the anxiety is real.