What's new

Game Thread Apr 08, 2022 07:30PM MT: Jazz vs. Suns

Added to Calendar: 04-08-22

From Andy Larsen's 'Tripple Team'

Fans, I have some bad news. Mitchell did not regret his approach in his postgame press conference. When asked about what he thinks he can do better in this situation?

“Make shots,” Mitchell said. “The same shots you all may consider tough are the ones I’ve been repping all summer, all year, so I work to take those shots in those moments. I just gotta go out and hit them, there’s no other formula to it.”

There are many other formulas, Donovan. You can flow the offense away from the Defensive Player of the Year candidate, Bridges. You can use screens more effectively. You can find teammates in pick and roll situations. You can get the ball moving, so that when it comes back to you, you’re not attacking a set defense. There are many other ways of scoring besides the iso midrange hero ball that you are currently favoring.

Mitchell did say this, at the end of the press conference: “Fans, stay with us. I promise you we’ll be all right.” But fans aren’t worried whether or not Mitchell has enough self-belief — rather, it’s the opposite.

Obviously, the loss overwhelms everything. Unfortunately, the team has a general tendency to blame only the wrong reasons for their own failings. It’s not just Donovan: they’re blaming each other, the media, their shotmaking, the schedule, injuries, and so on when in reality the biggest problem is their approach to the game late.

Even Quin Snyder went on a 19-minute rant this week about how our narratives about them losing 4th quarter leads was irresponsible! Sigh. Given their inability to diagnose the problem, I don’t have an especially optimistic forecast about them turning the losing around.

Last edited:
Man, for the longest time I was such a staunch supporter of Quin.

To hear him try to sweep the clutch issues under the rug, coupled with the knowledge that he's enabled Donovan to tank our offense in the clutch regularly with zero intention of correcting it, kinda makes me wonder if I've been overrating him in my mind this whole time because he sounds smart and the players seem to love him.

Father blows through retirement and savings with poor investment after poor investment that promise getting rich quick. His family is nearly destitute. “I’m sorry, guys. This is my fault. I take full responsibility. The next investment is really going to make us rich. Promise. I’ll do better.”

We’re really this ****ing dense and it’s amazing that nobody in the franchise can slap some sense into this reasoning.
This is similar to a thought I had… I have a saying I throw out to describe people “Quin is the dumbest smart person”. I use it when undeniable smart people do dumb things they’ve done before.

Your example reminded me of my father in law. He’s made and lost more money in real estate development than I’ll make in like 10 lifetimes. I run my business in the same suite he runs his… and part of my job is stopping him from doing the obviously dumb thing he shouldn’t do that has caused him to go broke. He is smart enough to put together these deals that make millions but then he will talk about funding the next deal himself because investors aren’t sure about it… the next step is a personal guarantee on a loan… then the deal or market go south and one deal screws everything up. He’s done real well last few years and will never have to do another deal the rest of his life if he follows the rules I’ve laid out for him. His twi main investors are flush with cash… so he never needs to put a dime into the deal… they will also sign on the loans they need… but he doesn’t make as much in those deals and they aren’t always as sexy… plus they will turn down certain deals. Pretty simple rules I’ve given him. No deals without 100% investment from those two investors. Yet… weekly I have to talk with him to remind him “we don’t do it that way anymore… you are too old to risk that… I know it’s seems like it can’t fail but the market tanked before and you can lose everything.” I **** you not weekly I get his secretary or manager in my office asking me to talk with him. He’s smart enough to make millions but not smart enough to stop himself from making the mistakes that literally left him broke 3-4 times in his life.

Anyway… this is Quin and Don and the organization… no one to pull them out of denial and speak truth and remind them “hey we’ve done this **** up before… let’s not do it again”. They are super smart and talented but also dumb AF.

Quin is the problem.
I couldn’t agree more. Phoenix’s offensive scheme is so much more exquisitely elaborate than ours with real playmaking options. It really is a thing of beauty to behold. Ours on the other hand is predicated on jacking up threes at your earliest convenience with the only nod to play making being a simple high school p n’ r action usually involving Conley and Gobert. But even in that action, Snyder act’s like the kick out three is the preferred option saying something along the lines of why would Mitchell want to pass toGobert for two when we have an open three.

It’s ugly basketball and watching those Boozer highlights made me remember how elegant our offense once was in a different era. It’s called percentage basketball for a reason. Watching Phoenix, when Paul makes his move to the hoop, so do two or three others generally resulting in a high percentage shot at the basket or in the midrange. They don’t abandon their playmaking in the crunch for iso hero ball either. Whereas with us it’s one guy casting off from three where the percentages suffer greater with the added stress, or he’s “creating” while the rest of the team stands around (generally behind the line) and watches

It’s become so repugnant to watch, my impulse was to turn off the game 5 minutes in and down 11 or 13 already and still scoreless.

Last edited:
teams have now figured out Mitchell. they know how to effectively defend him. dm otoh is still doing the same thing. not gonna work unless he changed the way he plays. (or let Mike take command)

quin is the same. he doesn't adjust and for sure he won't come playoffs time. that #1 offensive rating in the league won't save us.

You can't expect much when :
- You have a coach in total denial of reality.
- You have O Neal in starting 5 when he will at the best be a 8-10 th player with any contender
- You let Don do the same thing again and again with the same result.

Today the only guy in starting 5 who did the job is Rudy. Mike was average during 3 quarter and disapear in the 4th.

That’s not entirely true. Some dudes made some miracle shots, or went on big birdie runs. It’s hard to win tournaments. He’s still one of the all time greats. He just seemed cursed. Guys always seemed to make great shots against him a chip in or crazy birdie run. He won a lot too.

Preaching to the converted bruh. Guy was awfully unlucky as well as a few chokes

This reminds me of Billy Hoyle in white men can’t jump with his compulsive behaviour. Comes home says to Gloria . I uhh did it again …. I feel like Gloria shrieking. “It. It. What the fock is it. YOU happened again”

It's Quin's fault that we play 4 on 5 when Royce is on the floor, frig man what's his love fest with that scrub