What's new

Game Thread Apr 08, 2022 07:30PM MT: Jazz vs. Suns

Added to Calendar: 04-08-22

So a few things:

1. I was at the game and it was one of the most boring games I’ve attended. There were a few moments where the crowd got excited. House’s steal and layup. Clarkson’s end of the 3rd 3. And Rudy blocked someone hard. But overall, this team just doesn’t provide enough entertainment to get the crowd into the game. Which defeats one of our advantages, the crowd noise. It’s just boring basketball.
2. We don’t generate enough fast break points. Everything comes out of the half court. I think the problem is both physical and philosophical. Other than House, we don’t have athletes who can get steals and finish. Might be a different story had we drafted Bane and Herb Jones…
3. Whiteside was our wading scorer at the half, with 9 pts. And he finished with 11 I believe. That tells you a lot about our offense.
4. Everything was high pick and roll in that 4th quarter. Everything was a perimeter shot usually contested and near the end of the shot clock. We just don’t have any shot creators, especially 3-5 (that’s why prime Jingles was so important). We rely too much on our 3 undersized guards and it just doesn’t work in the crunch.
5. Phx scored however and whenever they wanted. This would be a sweep in the playoffs. It looked like we were deploying that weird Harden defense where our defenders trailed to force them into midrange/floaters. Which is weird cuz that’s like shooting fish in a barrel for Booker/Paul.

So a few things:

1. I was at the game and it was one of the most boring games I’ve attended. There were a few moments where the crowd got excited. House’s steal and layup. Clarkson’s end of the 3rd 3. And Rudy blocked someone hard. But overall, this team just doesn’t provide enough entertainment to get the crowd into the game. Which defeats one of our advantages, the crowd noise. It’s just boring basketball.
2. We don’t generate enough fast break points. Everything comes out of the half court. I think the problem is both physical and philosophical. Other than House, we don’t have athletes who can get steals and finish. Might be a different story had we drafted Bane and Herb Jones…
3. Whiteside was our wading scorer at the half, with 9 pts. And he finished with 11 I believe. That tells you a lot about our offense.
4. Everything was high pick and roll in that 4th quarter. Everything was a perimeter shot usually contested and near the end of the shot clock. We just don’t have any shot creators, especially 3-5 (that’s why prime Jingles was so important). We rely too much on our 3 undersized guards and it just doesn’t work in the crunch.
5. Phx scored however and whenever they wanted. This would be a sweep in the playoffs. It looked like we were deploying that weird Harden defense where our defenders trailed to force them into midrange/floaters. Which is weird cuz that’s like shooting fish in a barrel for Booker/Paul.
Dry spells like the 4th quarter make it seem all the more urgent for Quin to have an alternative offensive scheme or schemes. Heck the old Weber State offense that Sloan employed would create situations that would burn teams no matter what defensive set they were in.